Overly loud concerts ruining the experience?
Mar 11, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #16 of 31
  Yeah I'm not claiming to have done stadium shows. Most i've done is around the 2000 people mark.

Still, 2000 is a pretty large venue.

Mar 19, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #18 of 31
  I have noticed smaller concerts (especially on small rooms) are much worse than larger concerts.

Personally, I am really not OK hearing at extremely high volumes for 5-6 hours.

Too loud is always relative to the size of the venue and of course personal preference. I agree that small venues are less forgiving of too much volume, very unpleasant. Sad that some sound crews seem to only focus on volume.

Mar 20, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #19 of 31

Too loud is always relative to the size of the venue and of course personal preference. I agree that small venues are less forgiving of too much volume, very unpleasant. Sad that some sound crews seem to only focus on volume.

Read my post above.

Oct 9, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #20 of 31
Went to Taylor Swift's "1989" show at Bridgestone Arena in Nashville September 25th this year. I thought the show would be at least somewhat mindful of all the children in the audience and not blow out the volume. But, I wore foam earplugs as well as Bose noise canceling headphones during the show just in case. We left immediately after about her third song, where the sub bass was so loud at one point that the vibration/sound waves blew right through all the gear I was wearing and made my eardrums and head rattle severely. The result was pain and burning in both ears that has required medical attention and is still unresolved. I can only imagine what this type of volume is doing to the many young ears in her audience. (The child sitting next to us held her hands over her ears the whole time.) This overly loud concert went beyond ruining the experience for me.

Oct 9, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #21 of 31
Not so much the loudness, what pisses me off is when you don't understand a thing the vocal is singing. You can "sing along" if you know the lyrics and won't notice it, but if you don't know the words you notice how ridiculous it is. Most bands I have seen are guilty of this. The smaller shows are usually far worse, all you hear is the insanely loud drums. I usually walk around hopelessly till I either find a sweet spot where the acoustics are tolerable, or just give up and join the mosh pit :p

The bigger shows are usually better. In general, the headlining band always sound much better than the others. My top two concerts in terms of immaculate sound are Sting and Regina Spektor, although my favorite genre is metal. I guess the type of music Sting/Regina Spektor do is more forgiving to mixing, or they are simply better than all my favorite metal bands lol. 

Oct 9, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #22 of 31
I've loved AC/DC since I was about 12 (about 31 years and going strong). I recently went to their concert here in Toronto last month and had a total blast! Angus and the boys can still ROCK!!! That said, my ears were ringing for 3-4 days...got me worried on Day 4; both my buddy and I had the same ringing. We weren't too close to the front, but man that was just too loud and knowing what we know now about hearing loss and tinnitus, I wish it wasn't that insanely loud. 

Yes, I know AC/DC's music is meant to be LOUD, but within reason.

Oct 10, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #23 of 31
I went to several loud concerts and rock festivals in the 1970s and according to my ENT my tinnitus is entirely consistent with damage-related hearing loss including a dip at 3k - thankfully I can still enjoy music but the constant background is,  well constant - many people have tinnitus so bad it causes insomnia and depression so I guess I am moderately lucky 

Oct 10, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #24 of 31
Funny.  I like it LOUD, I really do but ironically the loudest most unlistenable concert I went to  (among about 200) was at an out door venue.  Who would have thought.  I am an old fart rocker metal guy.
The band was Frank Marino and Mahagany Rush at Alpine Valley, East Troy WI.  About 1981.  We were about 30-40 "rows" up....lawn seats very cavernous venue/setting.

Loudness aside, this Hendrix clone is an amazing player.  Among 200 concerts....he was by far the loudest....and out door!  I think Frank Marino has retired from music.

Oct 12, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #25 of 31
One time in Austin I got stuck beside the speakers at an Elliott Smith concert, who wasn't, you know, overly loud, but standing right next to the things I wanted to die. It was worse then when I was last desk viola for a performance of Mahler's 1st and I had the trombones aimed straight into my ear canal; at least that was only intermittent pain. Too much music these days reminds me of Disaster Area. I'd almost feel safer at a rocket launch than a concert these days. At least the former have some standards for spectator SPL.

Oct 12, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #26 of 31
How odd. I was just thinking how good live sound can be nowadays. Provided the promoter is prepared to pony up the cash that is.

I like loud because a really good modern flown array system can be so clean at 100dB it is still possible for punters to talk (ok  - shout a bit) at one another during the performance.

Would you rather listen to the music (maybe a bit louder than you would ideally wish) or put up with all the idiots around you telling each other what a great timn they were having? (Grrh **** you numpties).

Oct 16, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #28 of 31
  I'd rather not lose my hearing.

You can't.  Most people are overly paranoid about this. like everything else it is moderation.  30-40 minute increments or less per day (OF REALLY LOUD VOLUMES!!!!)  and the majority will be fine.  Heredity also plays a huge role.

The only people that usually have problems with this are musicians that listen at these obscene volumes 8-10 hours a day every day for decades.

Oct 16, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #29 of 31
Loud can be good and loud can be bad, real bad.

Loud but very good:

The Who 1981 Louisville Freedom Hall, Like a jet plane taking off loud, but crystal clear at the same time

Van Halen Bridgestone Arena 2012, famous for requesting no brown M&M's,  for a reason, you better read their contract, very specific about sound, loud but clean

Foo Fighters Bridgestone Arena 2015, someone knew what they were doing on the soundboard, loud but never felt loud

Loud and very bad:

Alice Cooper Tennessee Theater 2007, unbelievably loud and clipping in a 2500 seat theater, I love Alice but the sound was atrocious 

My favorite venue for concerts:

Ryman Auditorium Nashville 2500 seats, designed 100+ years ago to hear a person speaking on stage from the back of the auditorium (so obviously without a microphone),
When an artist does it right;  Solo acoustic Jake Bugg, the warm up act for Noel Gallagher and Snow Patrol, spine chilling good

Oct 19, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #30 of 31
https://www.touchofmodern.com/sales/doppler-labs/dubs-acoustic-filters-teal

In my experience there's been a direct correlation between the quality of venue/sound techs and volume.  An inverse correlation
rolleyes.gif

I just turned 46 and did the Houston Free Press Festival this summer and was blown away. Perfectly clear sound, not too loud, 20,000+ people basically in parking lots. It can be done. It just requires skill and proper equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back