Overlooked Gems in an Artists catalog
Jul 14, 2009 at 3:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

sno1man

1000+ Head-Fier
This was inspired by something that happens to me periodically where I get tired of everything i usually listen to and go looking in my collection for something else.

Three that I found this time out.

1. Fables Of The Reconstruction- REM- Probably the last REM where Michael Stipe still mumbled and the lyrics were often difficult to decode and fans would argue over the meanings. Standout tracks "driver 8" ,"Kohoutek", and "feeling gravity's pull

2. Blue Valentine- Tom Waits- kind of a transition point for him with many of the sounds of earlier work like closing time with the subjects and lyrics that would come fully on Frank's Wild Years- Standouts include "Somewhere" "christmas card from a hooker in Minneapolis" and "romeo is bleeding" The version of "somewhere" is far more sad and desperate sounding than most versions you will hear

3. Veeden Fleece- Van Morrison- this album is probably the closest that Van has come since Astral Weeks. It's very free flowing and jazz influenced with lots of Van mysticism. Standouts "you dont pull no punches" and "streets of arklow"

So there's my three, I'd love to hear more suggestions.

Jul 14, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #2 of 21
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless. The first time I listened to this album, I don't think that I was old enough to be ready for it. I saw it on a list of best 90s albums and gave it another shot. Fantastic. Every song is just awesome and amazingly epic.

Jul 15, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by sno1man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3. Veeden Fleece- Van Morrison- this album is probably the closest that Van has come since Astral Weeks. It's very free flowing and jazz influenced with lots of Van mysticism. Standouts "you dont pull no punches" and "streets of arklow"

Have you heard Tupelo Honey? It's my favorite Van after Astral Weeks. But to respond to your thread, I'm interpreting "overlooked" to mean an album that is rarely cited as an artist's absolute best, but that you like as much or more than the acknowledged classic? If so:

Axis rather than Electric Ladyland
Fear of Music rather than More Songs About Buildings and Food
Fear of a Black Planet rather than Nation of Millions

None of the albums I mention are overlooked, just usually passed over in favor of the acknowledged classic.

Jul 15, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you heard Tupelo Honey? It's my favorite Van after Astral Weeks. But to respond to your thread, I'm interpreting "overlooked" to mean an album that is rarely cited as an artist's absolute best, but that you like as much or more than the acknowledged classic? If so:

Fear of Music rather than More Songs About Buildings and Food
Fear of a Black Planet rather than Nation of Millions

None of the albums I mention are overlooked, just usually passed over in favor of the acknowledged classic.

Yes that nails it exactly. And I agree that Tupelo is great. Wild Night alone makes it worthwhile

Jul 15, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I bought these on the same day MANY years ago. Still cant choose one over the other. I DO enjoy them both more than "are you experienced?"

Jul 15, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #6 of 21
Beck's One Foot In The Grave.

It's more folky and mellower than his other albums but it seems more personal and lays out the foundation for the rest of his music. This is where I could really hear the Nick Drake influence.

Jul 15, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #7 of 21
Wow, some really thoughtful opinions here. I'm going to cheat a little with my alt-country recs, but:

1. Gob Iron, Death Songs for the Living, is arguably Son Volt's best.
2. Jason Isbell, Sirens of the Ditch, is arguably Drive-By Truckers's best.

Cheating because each is done by the primary creative force (some cheating there too) of the band and not by the actual band. I promise to play fair later.

Jul 16, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #8 of 21
Not sure about "overlooked", but some gems are certainly underappreciated.

Billy Idol-Cyberpunk. My favorite album of his, and the only one I listen to regularly, but it gets no respect! Contains When the Night Comes, his hardest hitting rock song.

Abba-The Visitors. Not even one hit single, but easily their best album overall. Currently the only Abba album in my collection.

Joni Mitchell-Don Juan's Reckless Daughter. Rarely mentioned in the same breath as Blue or Summer Lawns, but contains such absolute classics as Dreamland, Paprika Plains, and The 10th World.

Rolling Stones-Her Majesties Satanic Request. My favorite RS album because it is such a blatantly obvious attempt to cash in on psychedelia, and therefore hilarious! Contains 10 Million Light Years from Home, which is easily their best song in my book.

Pink Floyd-Ummagumma (studio disc.) Their most interestingly experimental work. Also intensely psychedelic. Contains the Roger Waters masterpiece Several Species of Small Furry Animals all Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict!

Jul 16, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless. The first time I listened to this album, I don't think that I was old enough to be ready for it. I saw it on a list of best 90s albums and gave it another shot. Fantastic. Every song is just awesome and amazingly epic.

a true gem, but overlooked? 'loveless' is the one album anyone ever talks about when it comes to my bloody valentine. a better contender for their overlooked gem would probably be 'isn't anything'. highly recommended if you already like 'loveless'. not as deep but twice as sweet.

others:
bruce springsteen - darkness on the edge of town (the boss's 'fables of the reconstruction?')
david bowie - 1 outside (deranged cyberpunk thriller musical)
genesis - trespass (most overlooked album of all time)
dinosaur jr - you're living all over me (should be THE alternative classic, but isn't)
screaming trees - sweet oblivion (as good as if not better than 'dust' - so the not all too well known #1 grunge album)
tristania - world of glass (one of the few great metal albums that never make it into the dark people's lists)
mike oldfield - amarok (not overlooked on head-fi...)
u2 - the unforgettable fire
siouxie & the banshees - through the looking glass
marillion - clutching at straws

great artists who are not so much overlooked as ignored:
- walkabouts: new west motel, setting the woods on fire, nighttown
- 16 horsepower: folklore, secret south
- waterboys: fisherman's blues, this is the sea, dream harder, a rock in the weary land
- new model army: strange brotherhood, eight
- chris de burgh: crusader
- sophie zelmani: time to kill, sing and dance
- heather nova: storm

i like this thread...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 16, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #10 of 21
great suggestions!

I have a couple listed that I never really listened to but will today: "through the looking glass" and "you're living all over me".

In fact I dont think I ever even opened the Dinosaur Jr.

I have also been told that I would like Drive By Truckers since i'm a big Son Volt and Jay Fararr fan.

Thanks again!

Jul 17, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #11 of 21
I'd say Stereolab - Cobra and Phases Group Play Voltage in the Milky Night, although this is possibly not really overlooked by Stereolab fans, just the critics. Regardless, it's a solid album.

Jul 18, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #12 of 21
King Crimson - Islands and Lizard
Nas - It Was Written
Eminem - Infinite

Jul 18, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #13 of 21
Is Prince's Parade overlooked? He got mileage out of the singles, but I don't hear too many folks talk about the album, which I love.

Miles Davis - Filles de Kilimanjaro

John Coltrane - Coltrane Plays the Blues

Bob Marley - Uprising

Stevie Wonder - Fulfillingness' First Finale

The Clash - Give 'Em Enough Rope

P-Funk All-Stars - Urban Dancefloor Guerillas

Jul 19, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is Prince's Parade overlooked? He got mileage out of the singles, but I don't hear too many folks talk about the album, which I love.

I think it definitely qualifies in the sense that the OP means.

And I'm going to add the Afghan Whigs Black Love as opposed to Gentlemen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back