Overhyped and should be avoided!
Jun 29, 2007 at 8:30 AM Post #61 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sordel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amen to that. I must have read a hundred threads here about headphones before I bought the K 701s, with every poster generally arguing passionately for one model above another. Unless you can see through the hype to the common descriptors, you will never be able to find what you're looking for.

I've wasted a fortune over the years buying albums on the strength of reviews and chatter, but if I didn't continue taking the risk then I wouldn't have spent much of the Spring listening to John Zorn, which I discovered through the "hype" on this very board.

Love John Zorn, though I learned about him through different hype. Hype is good! The same hypsters told me I'd like Joanna Newsom. I can't stand her. Money down the drain. Ah well. Now I know. Hype is still good.

Jun 29, 2007 at 2:13 PM Post #62 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For crying out loud Digital, you're always insulted, pissed off, or offended.
confused.gif
Sounds to me like you could do with some thicker skin

And you know this because you've read all 600 of my post
rolleyes.gif
Honestly leave your baseless comments to yourself. I can recall three threads when I was insulted, pissed or offended. This thread, the thread when the guys said that I don't actually "listen" to music cause I listen to mostly mp3s and when someone suggested that the reason most people don't like Rap is cause those people are racist. So if three threads out of the hundreds I've written in is being "always insulted, pissed off, or offended" then fine. Stop reading my post and block me. Or else just stop assuming things based off what you read in one (or three) threads.

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On a personal, not economic/societal level, is music hype any different than the hype a headphone or amp will get around here? I pay attention to who is hyping (experience, tastes, etc.), how the hype is going (what of substance is being said) and then take a risk. It's always a win for me, even if just to find out that I don't like something. I would never have learned I love headphiled K340s or K1000s without hype, and also disliked MS1s without the hype machine getting me to try them out. For other people, the reverse is true. Did the hype make one person's taste different? Did the headphones change? Are the hypsters wrong either way if they believe what they are saying is true? It doesn't really matter. It brought me interest and knowledge. I'm part of the current imod and PK1 hype going on. Am I wrong if you think they're not worth the praise? Also, the minor hype some music gets on this forum has brought me hours of pleasure, and other times it's either confusion or disgust. Both are good. The point is that I get exposed to something I didn't have before. I'm challenged by that exposure to listen differently and think differently than twenty or thirty years ago. It's good. Really good.

So, I don't consider this thread to be hype, I think I will now leave it to check out some bands mentioned here I never heard of before. Heck, I don't even know if they've been hyped before. That's an interesting idea. Must find out now. Maybe they will change my life
tongue.gif

I think electronic hype is different than music hype. Usually when someone tells me "this is the best product ever!" they can give me solid reasons why, physically show me, compare it to others. If someone comes up to me using those key phrases with electronics and my mouth starts to water. Normally it's not the best but it's still pretty damn good. So it's different than music hype because it actually delivers. But then it's not hype to me, just a really good recommendation. To be honest no one could hype a headphone to me. There is no one on this earth whose opinion is respect as far as headphones go. Sure a lot of people rave about headphones, but they can't possible hype a headphone up to me.

I don't think music hype actually changes the music. I rarely take recommendations from people, usually because I've heard the music before they can recommend it, and I get people coming up to me saying "you should listen to Funeral it will change your life." By the time they've had a chance to hype it up to me I had already listened to Funeral a few times and deemed it crap. So even before the album is actually hyped up I don't like it. So no it doesn't change the music to me, it just so happens that I never like music that has been hype or will soon be hype to me.

My definition of hype is different than you guys. I never pay attention to charts, radio, tv and all the other places where hype is normally. I live a pretty isolated life (I'm a "bodyguard") so it's not like I have time to spend with the masses. What you guys may consider hype (Top of the charts, constantly played on the radio, everywhere you go people are talking about it and it's in every magazine) never really reaches me. If it does then I check it out with an open mind, cause to me that's just the masses raving about something. Sometimes it's good and sometimes it's not.

Perhaps I should put a disclaimer in my OP so people won't judge what I say off their definition of hype. It's still interesting to know what others think hype is and if they choose to avoid it or not. I know there are people out there that avoid anything popular. Hyped up stuff in my case usually turns out to be "essentials". My theory behind this is because "essentials" are usually just the coating and does not truly represents what the genre is about. By the time someone has time to hype up something to me I'm already well deep in the genre. I always find "hyped" albums to be uninteresting or just plain noise. Perhaps that album did "change their lives" and opened them up to something new. Essentials don't cut it for me, they are always thin and I want the real stuff.

Jun 29, 2007 at 2:31 PM Post #63 of 78
I don't really feel the hype for radiohead even though i like electronic music and britpop at the same time. Its good but not GREAT. hmm arcade fire, baaaah don't get it. wilco, hmmm its ok. Sufjan Stevens? ahmmm good sound quality though. the list goes on and on... Put something like suedes dog man star or morrisseys bona drag or most of his stuff for that matter, James, Pulp, ahh nevermind, its probably a sign that I'm getting old... Feel free though if you think the bands I mentioned are superior to this new overrated stuff

Jun 29, 2007 at 3:25 PM Post #65 of 78
i like your disclaimer, a lot in fact. only are you sure about "amazing"? seems to me not to be as superlative (and hyping) as the others.

this thread has a lot of truths in it, and compassionate arguments. i mostly agree with coltrane, but i think i see your point, too. thanks, the both of you
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 29, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #66 of 78
Question:

If it's crap, can you say why?

For me, WHY is an important question to answer whether I like or dislike the music I'm hearing.

Listening critically extends beyond the details of your system.

Jun 29, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #67 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Digitalbath3737 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Disclaimer: I'm not shunning music because of it's popularity. Hype to me is someone who's musical opinion I respect comes up to me using one of the key phrases I stated above. It's my personal experience (meaning that this is what I have actually experienced) that albums accompanied by those phrases usually are crap and fit into one of the categories above. Sometimes music lovers (those whose opinions I respect) get caught up with what the masses (those who just listen to music occasionally and will think anything different is the second coming of Christ) are raving about and they get the "well everyone loves it so I should to" mentality. Good music never has to be hyped up. It speaks for itself. To me those phrases are trying to sell music that has no chance even living up to a "hey this is good, check em out". When someone comes up to me using those phrases I feel sorry for them because they are obviously not only hyping me but their selves as well.

Okay, but now I'm confused. I agree with you in that good music doesn't have to be hyped, and sometimes isn't. Unfortunately, I, and others, will never hear about it without some hype (even negative hype), word of mouth, blah blah, etc. If I understand your point, and I might be missing something, you're saying that people, whose opinions you respect, sometimes get caught up in a FOTM that usually disappoints you musically. Happens to me all the time. Yet, haven't you done that, too? Ever? Gotten excited about a band or CD and run up to friends and said, "You gotta hear this!" whether the band is hyped by others or not? How can you feel sorry for someone for liking something, especially since you said that hype means it comes from people whose opinions you respect, and you don't equate hype with popularity? I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but I really don't understand.

Jun 29, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #68 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now you guys are just getting silly. Cat Power? Chan Marshall? Ugh? Really? Hard to believe some could hear songs like "Colors and the Kids", or "Metal Heart" or "Bathysphere", or "Nude as the News", or Love & Communication", and not be in love. I give her my greatest reward just for taking back and purging from my memory that awful sappy version of "Sea of Love" by the Honeydrippers
smily_headphones1.gif

Haha, sorry about the one word "ugh" comment. "Free" was kinda cool. But after coming off of Hoffman's remaster of Joni Mitchell's "Blue" I guess it was kinda unfair to pop on "The Greatest" and think "you wish!"
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 29, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #69 of 78
The music industry is as much marketing as it is music. And in my opinion, the "better" music lies underground while the well marketed not quite music is in the mainstream. I can't even begin to name all of those artists/albums that were touted as the next big whatever.

Jun 30, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #70 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalManCPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The music industry is as much marketing as it is music.

I'd argue that the current state of the music industry is more focused on marketing than music.

Jun 30, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #71 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey
Now you guys are just getting silly. Cat Power? Chan Marshall? Ugh? Really? Hard to believe some could hear songs like "Colors and the Kids", or "Metal Heart" or "Bathysphere", or "Nude as the News", or Love & Communication", and not be in love. I give her my greatest reward just for taking back and purging from my memory that awful sappy version of "Sea of Love" by the Honeydrippers

Haha, sorry about the one word "ugh" comment. "Free" was kinda cool. But after coming off of Hoffman's remaster of Joni Mitchell's "Blue" I guess it was kinda unfair to pop on "The Greatest" and think "you wish!"
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, ya know, The Greatest was kind of a letdown for me as a long time Cat Power fan. Same great voice, but some of the music is not very inspired. Almost MOR at times. But still, I once seriously (or maybe naively
smily_headphones1.gif
) compared Moon Pix to Blue on the Music Asylum ...

Posted by Davey on November 22, 1999 at 17:14:37:

All the talk in the Joni Mitchell thread below reminded me how much I love the 'Blue' album. A few years ago I realized the LP I had was probably not as good as it could be since it was not an original pressing and I had made some updates to my turntable so I decided to locate a better copy. After much searching in the used bins at various local record dealers I acquired a few copies and found what appeared to be a mint original copy (BTW, look for Bernie Grundman's initials in the leadout area and you will be getting close). My what wonderful sound and beautiful music.

Earlier this year I discovered what has become my new 'Blue' album in Cat Power's 'Moon Pix', the brilliant 1998 release by Chan Marshall and her band. Such a cohesive and emotional work. Gently hipnotic vocals that sometimes seem so fragile yet possessing an underlying self assurance, soulful music for reflective souls. For the rythmn section, she used the services of the Dirty Three's Mick Turner and Jim White to add depth to her intricate guitar and piano work. Belinda Woods adds flute on occasion and Andrew Entsch the other guitar. This is a beautiful album that reminds me of Joni Mitchell in her youth and early CSNY on Deja Vu. Folk rock I guess, but original and inspiring and emotional. I really love this album and I hope I've convinced some of you to give it a chance. It is on the indie label Matador and so is usually very attractively priced. Vinyl is generally available also for Matador releases.

Dave

Aug 28, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #75 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Digitalbath3737 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Way to many times have a checked out an album because either my friends or people on the net have told me "this album is amazing!", "the greatest album ever!" "this album life changing!" or my favorite "your collection isn't complete without this!". I rip the album for my iPod, go to a nice quite spot in the park and get ready for a "life changing moment" that never happens.

So I've decided not to listen to any album that has been hyped up, because I have never heard any album that lives up to the hype. I find that hyped up albums are usually "The Greats". 90% of "The Greats" are constantly regurgitated, average at best, albums or artist. It just semi good Pop music from the past. If the internet was around back then we'd see a whole different list of "The Greats". Sure some artist seriously deserve to be on that list, but 90% of those are just yesterdays R. Kellys, Mariah Careys and Nirvanas. Not bad artist , but there were people putting out much better music at the time. Those guys just got the press and the airtime. That makes them "Great". Of course if you don't agree that "The Greats" are great then you don't appreciate music.

The second category of hyped up albums is the new artist on the scene that's "different" and if you don't like the music then you're one of those people that "just don't get it" . Who wants to be one of those people who "just doesn't get it"? So then everyone "gets it"! And when any conversation about music comes up the people who "get it" have to mention that album or artist because it makes them appear like they know a lot about music. In reality they hardly ever play that album unless others are around, because they really don't "get it" or even like it.

So now when any one tells me to check out "insert album here" because "this album is amazing!", "it's the greatest album ever!" "this album life changing!" or "your collection isn't complete without this!" then I just pass on it because 9 times out of 10 it's either one of the so called "Greats" or an album that "I just won't get". I like sincere recommendations and not regurgitated garbage from the masses. Especially from indie music lovers, they are becoming worse than the MTV crowd. I swear there's a list that indie lovers read off of every time someone ask for recommendations, with a few alternates just to spice things up a bit.

This post defiantly qualifies as a rant!
tongue.gif

Disclaimer: I'm not shunning music because of it's popularity. Hype to me is someone who's musical opinion I respect comes up to me using one of the key phrases I stated above. It's my personal experience (meaning that this is what I have actually experienced) that albums accompanied by those phrases usually are crap and fit into one of the categories above. Sometimes music lovers (those whose opinions I respect) get caught up with what the masses (those who just listen to music occasionally and will think anything different is the second coming of Christ) are raving about and they get the "well everyone loves it so I should to" mentality. Good music never has to be hyped up. It speaks for itself. To me those phrases are trying to sell music that has no chance even living up to a "hey this is good, check em out". When someone comes up to me using those phrases I feel sorry for them because they are obviously not only hyping me but their selves as well.

yeah i totally agree, its all very subjective, its like asking all your mates to pick, from a line of girls who they think is the nicest, youre not always gonna get the same answer.

i often, contrarian as i am, find that albums which didnt get all the hype and word of mouth, i end up enjoying, and as other posters said, maybe its the expectaions going into it, which fairly or unfairly skewed your end opinion of it.

i mean floyds dark side of the moon, had a lot of buddies claiming all sorts of miracles over that one, for a long time, when it came to me listening to it, albeit on fairly bog standard kit, i was like thats kinda cool, but i was expecting.........

took a while for it to grow on me, now i love and appreciate its content and progression almost like one long track, and i listen to it when i can, but i am currently into kate bushes, 'the whole story' album, if i was to say to all of you guys, wow check out this vocally amazing, quirky, flowing album, that is really an old school gem, a high percentage of you non-believers
wink.gif
would banish me from the village.

"beauty is in the ear of the beholder" -Quaddy 28/8/07

Users who are viewing this thread

Back