[OVERHAUL] TOTL how it should be. (TOTL=true high-end)
Nov 17, 2013 at 7:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

MygpuK

100+ Head-Fier
This is it's [click] parent thread

Which physical parameters should a true_high-end stereo headphone have? Transducer type (driver), cables, jack, driver positioning (impossible to answer) etc.

FAQ:
Neodymium is not a full answer, driver's have membrane also at least.

My choices ATM:
[fan of 5.1 because of FLAC 5.1 music] Roccat Kave 5.1
AKG Q350
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (I also thought of audio-technica, hifiman and sony)

My opinion:
1. Neodymium with a non-cellulose membrane
2. Taking in count value: Dynamic drivers for bass impact (bass-heavy music) OR Balanced armature drivers (cheap "armature": AKG Q350 - recommending) for classic/rock.
3. Flat impedance response (Low/high-impedance frequencies are harder to EQ-fix)
4. Silver (as bigger diameter as possible) cables for perfect sound transmition (lowest resistance thus theoretically signal flawless transmition).
5. Silver jack (the lowest resistance possible).
[copper shall be still ok]
6. Dynamic driver proper suspension. (I suppose armature drivers would satisfy my basshead needs, the point why armature is only IEM is that the driver should localized AS NEAR to the ear in order the audiophile to feel "consistent bass")
7. Good driver suspension peases. - ?
8. Proper spider. - ?
9. Adhesion process - it must be built GOOD!

The driver includes suspension pieces that will make just as much of an impact as the diaphragm itself.  Surround, spider, even the adhesion process used will have some effect.  There is also structure of the motor.  There is essentially an endless amount of ways to design a magnetic motor.  Unfortunately I couldn't tell you which one of these configurations would be best, and I don't think anybody else could either.  Every driver construction will have its pros and cons, and eventually it will come down to preference for the signature produced.  If there were a correct way, everybody would be doing it.

precisely, a balanced armature is only technically better because its more able to reduce distortion and so on, but that isnt saying a company couldnt hone a dynamic driver to sound brilliant, it just takes more work to hone a dynamic driver because its naturally not as quick

They're just different:
BA is WAY quicker than dynamic, usually fails at producing a solid bass impact, and produces great detail.

I like dynamic better because it sounds more natural to me.

BA is WAY quicker than dynamic, usually fails at producing a solid bass impact, and produces great detail.
I like dynamic better because it sounds more natural to me.

You might want a gold plated jack since it doesn't tarnish, something else to consider apart from resistance.

Any feedback is welcomed.
_____How to disagree:

/discuss and/or subscribe (just post "subd" below)

Nov 17, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #2 of 28
http://www.head-fi.org/t/690441/sound-mythbusting-overhauled-objectiveness-only-intro-to-the-sound-science-wall-of-text-thread - parent thread

Nov 17, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #3 of 28

Which physical parameters should a true_high-end stereo headphone have? Transducer type (driver), cables, jack, driver positioning (impossible to answer) etc.

FAQ:

My opinion:
Neodymium with a non-cellulose membrane (IDK WHICH ARE NON-CELLULOSE TYPES OF MEMBRANES)
Golden cables for perfect sound transmition (lowest resistance thus theoretically signal flawless transmition).
Golden jack (lowest resistance).

/discuss

Gold is not the lowest resistance material. Silver has better conductivity.

Nov 18, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #6 of 28
Nov 18, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #7 of 28

FAQ:

My opinion:
Neodymium with a non-cellulose membrane (IDK WHICH ARE NON-CELLULOSE TYPES OF MEMBRANES)
Silver (as bigger diameter as possible) cables for perfect sound transmition (lowest resistance thus theoretically signal flawless transmition).
Silver jack (the lowest resistance possible).

/discuss and/or subscribe (just post "subd" below)

The materials going into the headphone are mostly irrelevant. The key ingredient of a high-performing headphone is R&D. 

Cheers

Nov 18, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #8 of 28
The materials going into the headphone are mostly irrelevant. The key ingredient of a high-performing headphone is R&D. 

Cheers
R&D leads to materials. You point is wrong.

Nov 18, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #9 of 28
R&D leads to materials. You point is wrong.

Proper "R&D" will tell you that silver wires are completely non-required as headphones cable. A thin, flexible good stranded copper wire is all you need at the frequencies involved.

Marketing will however tell you that silver is required for prestige reasons.

Nov 18, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #10 of 28
Proper "R&D" will tell you that silver wires are completely non-required as headphones cable. A thin, flexible good stranded copper wire is all you need at the frequencies involved.

Marketing will however tell you that silver is required for prestige reasons.
Understood and agreed with a huge "but":
To accept your info, I NEED arguementation regarding "copper is sufficient", which I cannot accept.
Copper is cheaper than silver, that's a FACT.
Silver can transfer signal better is a FACT.
1 microne silver wire will transfer signal better than the copper one is a FACT.

I need arguements, sorry.

Nov 18, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #11 of 28
The driver includes suspension pieces that will make just as much of an impact as the diaphragm itself.  Surround, spider, even the adhesion process used will have some effect.  There is also structure of the motor.  There is essentially an endless amount of ways to design a magnetic motor.  Unfortunately I couldn't tell you which one of these configurations would be best, and I don't think anybody else could either.  Every driver construction will have its pros and cons, and eventually it will come down to preference for the signature produced.  If there were a correct way, everybody would be doing it.

Nov 18, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #12 of 28
Copper is cheaper than silver, that's a FACT.

A completely irrelevant fact technically.

Silver can transfer signal better is a FACT.
1 microne silver wire will transfer signal better than the copper one is a FACT.

No, it is certainly no fact unless you define "better". Let's take your example: electrical resistance. At the levels considered, it really doesn't matter. Even you have a slight attenuation with copper (like an extremely, extremely small one), it doesn't mean the signal is worse, just how so slightly lower. To say the signal has been damaged, you'd have to prove that copper is significantly more non-linear in its resistance than silver at audio frequencies. Good luck with that.

Nov 18, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #13 of 28
A completely irrelevant fact technically.

No, it is certainly no fact unless you define "better". Let's take your example: electrical resistance. At the levels considered, it really doesn't matter. Even you have a slight attenuation with copper (like an extremely, extremely small one), it doesn't mean the signal is worse, just how so slightly lower. To say the signal has been damaged, you'd have to prove that copper is significantly more non-linear in its resistance than silver at audio frequencies. Good luck with that.

[my facts were fake to make the man understand silver has better conduct-ability.]
You agree with him - copper has better (flawless with less diameter of the wire) possibility to achieve 0 resistance (the lower is the temperature, the lower is the resistance, best achieved at 0 Kelvin)?
Prove it by facts, if so.

Nov 18, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #14 of 28
Will add to the /thread. Asking you to continue your researches in that matter for the subject's sake. Best regards, sir.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back