over-the-ear wires, or not?
Apr 27, 2009 at 6:58 AM Post #16 of 23
When a saw the ER4 for the first time I've wondered. How can it be? Pair of expensive earphones looks so cheap
smily_headphones1.gif

May 22, 2009 at 1:17 PM Post #17 of 23
A friend mailed me his ER4s to test for a few weeks, since he knows i’m looking to upgrade. Great friend, huh?
biggrin.gif
anyway, my only other pair of phones has been Sony MDR-NX1, which I’ve had for the last 4 years, so these are all I can compare to. I’ve also tried the Senn CX400 for a few minutes, but it was god-awful muddy, so that doesn’t count.

I use a 2nd gen ipod nano. i have enjoyed the MDR-NX1. not a whopping great set of phones, but the presentation is nice, if a bit bright, and they are easy to listen to. I’ve enjoyed especially their clarity, compared to other phones. This didn’t prepare me for the clarity I experienced with the Etys though.

The first hour with the ER4 [which is an original, old pair, modified by Ety with the different impedance wire, to make them useable un-amped, so I think that makes them an ER4P?], was frustrating. No bass and just too much focus on the highs. I didn’t like the soundstage, as it felt a bit squeezed. But, once I learned you really need to PUSH these things in, then I started to appreciate what they can deliver.

Initially, using the tri flanges, and pushing these phones in until it hurt, I experienced the most beautifully detailed sound. The instrument separation is very good, and each little sound is reproduced independently and accurately. Bass is there, though not overpowering. The bass was what I could call accurate. This is the kind of detail I want! Acoustic recordings are lovely, you can hear the sound of fingers on the strings, in between the notes. Piano was very good, more realistic than I had expected. However, heavy rock was lacking that aggressive punch you might want. These phones are good for natural music, and not overly-amped attitudish aural masturbation. The only trouble is, sometimes I like that too. [LOL]

The soundstage was not as good as I had hoped, it felt a bit squished. however every instrument was still beautifully separated within that space. Also, I thought the presentation was a bit cold. Compared with the MDR-NX1, the ER4[P] was less easy to listen to. Don’t get me wrong though, I love this clarity SO MUCH, that I would pick the Etys every time. No contest.

Another criticism I have, is the isolation. The Etys have too much isolation for my preference. Though, admittedly I am getting used to that. At first I thought ‘holy gsus, I can’t hear anything around me’, but now I don’t think about it. Some find the isolation a plus, but i am looking for phones I can use everywhere, in every situation, and I don’t see myself cycling down Unter Den Linden completely deaf to the speeding busses around me.
beyersmile.png

So, now I know what the Etys sound like, and I am loving them every day until I return them back to my friend in Trollhättan. From here I will look for something with a little less isolation, a bit more warmth and punch without losing detail and a wider soundstage. Isn’t there a phone that has it all??

Bluey

May 22, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn’t there a phone that has it all??

Let me know if you find one, although to me my balanced ER4 in my home rig is very close but still not there for every type of music

May 22, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

From here I will look for something with a little less isolation, a bit more warmth and punch without losing detail and a wider soundstage. Isn’t there a phone that has it all??

I can't offer anything to compare to (In the IEM market) but what you describe sounds a LOT like my Senn IE7's!

Average isolation
Warm
Punchy, controlled bass
Detail and instrument separation to die for
Soundstage so wide it makes me cry.

biggrin.gif

May 22, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #20 of 23
I hate over-the-ear; what I do is simply put the Y-piece under my back collar, you'll end up with 2 thin wires coming out of your shirt; no more microphonis, and when taking them off they rest on your collarbones.
BTE, I use the senheiser IE8, warm yet detailed, nut not detailed by attenuating the midhighs. But above your budget.

May 22, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by akki007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't offer anything to compare to (In the IEM market) but what you describe sounds a LOT like my Senn IE7's!

Average isolation
Warm
Punchy, controlled bass
Detail and instrument separation to die for
Soundstage so wide it makes me cry.

biggrin.gif

and... Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluey
without losing detail

?
biggrin.gif

opinions welcome

May 22, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by dura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...But above your budget.

hmm, i said that, didn't i?

well, i've been a home audiophile for years.
so i understand budgets are sometimes flexible.
smile_phones.gif

still, i'm trying to stay below E200.

Oct 27, 2009 at 9:33 AM Post #23 of 23
been a while since i posted, but i've finally ordered a new pair of IEMs, the UE700. they were around €200 some months ago, but i just checked Amazon.de today and they were €118 from Amazon, free shipping, so...SNAFU!

call it an impulse purchase, but the more i read here about IEMs the more i can't decide. i've had it narrowed down to the IE7, X5 or UE700, using my friend's ER4P as a benchmark [see earlier post], and reading 1000+ misc posts on this forum.

so, here goes with a pair of UE700, i'll let you know what i think when they get here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back