Over reaction to Hurricane Rita/Hurricane Rita, Another One For the Record Books!!!
Sep 21, 2005 at 8:57 PM Post #16 of 48
Cat 5- 165 + MPH.

I really doubt the human mind can comprehend the amount of energy that this storm is disapating.

This is not a drill. I hope the people who are in it's path take it seriously.

Mitch

Sep 21, 2005 at 10:09 PM Post #17 of 48
Depending on the size and strength of the hurricane, it's not such a bad idea to evacuate even if you're that far inland. I mean during Hugo, even Charlotte, NC was hit. That's a good three hour drive from where it made landfall.
wink.gif
Although Charlotte didn't get it as badly from what I hear, and plenty of people evacuated to to there. But that should give some idea of how far away it can effect.

But closer to the storm than that, and you have a real threat of tornados. We were roughly 30 or 40 miles inland, and we lost count at 18, it was just one after the other.

It's not just storm surge, people inland have to worry about tornados. I guess they don't tell you that unless you've been in one.

OTOH, was it Fran or Bertha, I forget, but according to the Weather Channel we were "not in the clear" and it was a beautiful sunny day with a slight breeze. I remember dad getting out of his car pretending to lean against the wind.

So hurricanes are funny beasts. You can be far enough inland that you don't generally worry about these things, and get hit in a way you don't expect, or absolutely nothing happens.

Just a case of being prepared, but not being a chicken with your head cut off either.

Sep 21, 2005 at 10:16 PM Post #18 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by CMacDaddy
HOWEVER, I've got friends at UT whose parents are evacuating Houston! Houston is 80 miles from the coast, and above sea level (about 15 feet is the average I think). AND Rita is supposed to hit south of Houston anyway (between Galveston and Corpus Christi last time I saw).

I think downtown Houston is a low spot.

BTW 15 feet average!!! Wow, i glad i live in mountainous Idaho where the elivation is 4,800ft.

Sep 21, 2005 at 11:08 PM Post #21 of 48
I am supposed to be flying into Austin tomorrow night with two other head-fiers to attend the Austin City Limits Music Festival, which according to the website is still a go. Talk about timing.

Sep 21, 2005 at 11:18 PM Post #22 of 48
Well..if Rita ever strike those areas, they can face flooding (minor or major) and definitely weeks of power outage. Better be safe than sorry.

Sep 21, 2005 at 11:29 PM Post #23 of 48
Houston drains into Galveston Bay. If Houston gets flooded, it will not be able to drain until the water goes down in Galveston Bay. If there is a significant storm surge there, it could be many days until Houston is dry.

Then there is the wind. Wind damage from the northwest quadrant of hurricans is severe even many miles inland. Houston stands to experience very serious wind damage, and many old homes will likely be damaged/destroyed.

If you lay in enough provisions, water and have a generator, sure, stick around, so long as you have a house above sea level and built sturdily. If you have kids, elderly, or don't want to deal with a week or more of roughing it, leave.

Sep 22, 2005 at 12:11 AM Post #25 of 48
wow, there re geeks who sit around and talk about weather. thats right up there with talking about headphones...

seriously, i get something of an underestanding of what they are saying, its ACELERATING everywhere, and accelerating rapidly. wowzers.

Sep 22, 2005 at 1:59 AM Post #27 of 48
Very concerned about this storm. I have 17 employees who are wondering if they need to work Saturday, and an entire community which is gripping about whether or not Rita will threaten their lives. Not a joking matter....

Sep 22, 2005 at 2:12 AM Post #28 of 48
I was told that I am working tomorrow from 8:30-5/6 p.m.

I live here compared to Houston (my SN is Poonkla on other forums):

kingwood.jpg

Sep 22, 2005 at 2:17 AM Post #29 of 48
I don't know if this is an over reaction or what, but between 10:00am this morning and 1:00pm this afternoon (so in a 3 hour span), my parents hotel availability for thursday, friday, saturday and sunday went from 48, 44, 43, and 51 available rooms to 3, 0, 0, 19. We are just south of Oklahoma City, I think 8+ hour drive from Houston, probably closer to 10 hours.

I've never, in the 7 years I've worked here, seen such a surge in reservations, its insane.

Sep 22, 2005 at 2:24 AM Post #30 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by slick
I don't know if this is an over reaction or what, but between 10:00am this morning and 1:00pm this afternoon (so in a 3 hour span), my parents hotel availability for thursday, friday, saturday and sunday went from 48, 44, 43, and 51 available rooms to 3, 0, 0, 19. We are just south of Oklahoma City, I think 8+ hour drive from Houston, probably closer to 10 hours.

I've never, in the 7 years I've worked here, seen such a surge in reservations, its insane.

I totally believe it. They have been broadcasting on the news that every hotel in Austin and San Antonio is booked with DFW not too far behind. Either find a remote town, or keep heading north.

It's 4 hours to Dallas from Houston, so how far is your hotel from Dallas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back