Over reaction to Hurricane Rita/Hurricane Rita, Another One For the Record Books!!!
Sep 21, 2005 at 5:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

CMacDaddy

100+ Head-Fier
So another big Hurricane is set to hit the gulf coast. This time its coming towards Galveston.

I'm glad that Galveston residents are evacuating. I'm happy to see the bus rides provided to get everyone out of the city a full 3 days ahead of the predicted landing of the storm. It seems like the coast may have learned a lesson about how bad it really can be. I'm happy my family, friends, and anyone I know from home is out.

HOWEVER, I've got friends at UT whose parents are evacuating Houston! Houston is 80 miles from the coast, and above sea level (about 15 feet is the average I think). AND Rita is supposed to hit south of Houston anyway (between Galveston and Corpus Christi last time I saw).

All the hotels between Galveston and Austin are full (reserved for thursday and friday night already)!

I hope this kind of over reaction, and the excessive media coverage of Rita both stop. Many hurricanes come through the gulf coast every year. If entire region shuts down for 3 days every time a small hurricane hits 100 miles away, it will hurt the economy and the region in general.

I guess this is just a rant against over reaction in general. I suppose it happens after every national catastrophe/crisis.

Does anyone else think this is crazy?

Heres hoping that nothing major comes from Rita.

Sep 21, 2005 at 5:17 AM Post #2 of 48
It always happens, and it certainly hurts much less to be overcautious than undercautious.

I'm sure that in a few years time (read: one or two years), the nationwide hurricane sensitivity will be back to pre-Katrina levels. The exception will be for those regions and persons directly affected by Katrina, for whom hurricanes will likely remain as a lifetime psychological threat.

Sep 21, 2005 at 5:31 AM Post #3 of 48
Truth of the matter is that Texas suffered brutal hurricanes for many years as did all of those states. Course I guess what we currently call news is supposed to generate gossip to incrase ratings and it seems that this thread is proof that they are doing their job; it's like hot potato and distraction combined.

Sep 21, 2005 at 5:34 AM Post #4 of 48
The national media coverage has been overdone, but it's business as usual in Houston. The news reported that local hotels were at maximum capacity and only recommended voluntary evacuation of lower lying areas along the port and bayous which may experience flooding.

Sep 21, 2005 at 7:39 AM Post #5 of 48
It depends a lot on where you're at in Houston, but from what I've heard from the locals, it can get REALLY bad with even a moderately heavy rain. A friend of mine told me that during the flood of '93 large chunks of Rice were 4 feet underwater, and the last tropical storm that hit Houston flooded 59 up to the overpasses and flooded an underground garage at UH to the surface.

Sep 21, 2005 at 7:51 AM Post #6 of 48
For God's sake man!
This is America, we were born to over react.
icon10.gif

I hope that kyrie is right, and this wears off in a couple years. I do have my doubts.

Sep 21, 2005 at 8:24 AM Post #7 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Publius
It depends a lot on where you're at in Houston, but from what I've heard from the locals, it can get REALLY bad with even a moderately heavy rain. A friend of mine told me that during the flood of '93 large chunks of Rice were 4 feet underwater, and the last tropical storm that hit Houston flooded 59 up to the overpasses and flooded an underground garage at UH to the surface.

TS Allison was bad and extremely unusual. I haven't heard of too many storms that drop approx. 40 inches of rain over the course of a few days on a localized area.

Here is a photo of HWY 59 underwater link

Sep 21, 2005 at 11:16 AM Post #8 of 48
Well for one thing, as we've found out Hurricane tracking is far from accurate. It appears that his has the potential of being another nasty one. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

In addition, I've been to Houston at least 100 times and seen that place gotten a fairly heavy rain. Whole place is flat as hell and gets really nasty when alot of water is thrown on top of it. Well since Hurricanes give alot more rain than what I've seen Houston get, yes I'd be paranoid too.

Over reaction? No, I call it prudent.

Sep 21, 2005 at 1:29 PM Post #9 of 48
8 of the top 10 disasters in this country’s history have been hurricanes and Texas has 3 or more of those calamities. This is just the cost of doing business when living on the coast in a hurricane zone.

Overreaction- Maybe but if it saves a life it’s proper.

Face it up to this point people have become complacent. One person from New Orleans said “ why evacuate, drive 200 miles, spend a couple hundred on a motel just to come back and have it miss us”.

If more people had reacted properly with Katrina there’d be less people dead.

Rita is becoming a true Monster Hurricane. The last thing people need is to become complacent 3 weeks after Katrina.

Mitch

Sep 21, 2005 at 4:10 PM Post #10 of 48
Another thing that bothers me is that the people who live in regions likely to be flooded are not the ones evacuating. Its the middle class people who live in areas that may see 1-2 feet of flooding that are leaving to the hotels.

Could the people who live downtown in the wards afford to stick it out in a hotel for a few days?

Its not the people that are in danger that are leaving. Its the suburbanites.

Sep 21, 2005 at 5:20 PM Post #12 of 48
I hope Katrina has taught us that we can't overreact to a hurricane warning. Hurricanes are far too unpredictable not to take them seriously and we must take every precaution. I agree that there is probably too much media hype and when tradegdy is averted the media are accused of crying "wolf", but that shouldn't change the fact that people and governments need to be extremely cautious.

What needs to be done is that governments on all levels need to assist ALL citizens in the evacuation process. Those that can't afford to travel or stay in a hotel need assistance.

Sep 21, 2005 at 7:43 PM Post #13 of 48
Local stations in Houston are now saying that Rita has 157 mph winds. The jet stream seems to be shifting as well, which might let the high drift to the east. This would cause the hurricane to hook earlier than expected.

I personally believe the eye is going to hit right between Houston and Corpus.

Sep 21, 2005 at 8:20 PM Post #14 of 48
Quote:

HURRICANE RITA TROPICAL CYCLONE UPDATE
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
255 PM CDT WED SEP 21 2005

DATA FROM RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT INDICATE THAT RITA HAS REACHED
CATEGORY FIVE INTENSITY WITH ESTIMATED MAXIMUM SUSTAINED SURFACE
WINDS OF 165 MPH. THIS WILL BE REFLECTED IN THE 4 PM CDT ADVISORY.

FORECASTER AVILA

It's a category 5 hurricane and still strengthening. Running for you life is a good idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back