Over Priced Tubes
Nov 27, 2019 at 9:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

attmci

Headphoneus Supremus
upload_2019-11-27_21-39-49.png

Feb 12, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #5 of 35
I do agree that paying a lot of money for tubes is frustrating. On one of my tube amps, I use modern production tubes from the Tube Amp Doctor company. I think the tubes they sell are selected quality tubes from China that tend to measure better and for the more picky consumers (though I could be wrong).

Anyway, so far I’m happy with the company and their reasonable priced tubes. To my ears, they sound good

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #6 of 35
From what I’ve read the new production Mullard tubes sound good. Yes....I know they’re made in Russia but from my experience I’ve had positive experiences with new Russian made tubes. I’m a big fan of old vintage tubes from the 1950s but I also feel optimistic towards new tubes-which are happily affordable. Just buy them from a reputable site where they select the good batches that measure well.
Upscale Audio in California inspects tubes they sell to make sure you don’t get a bad apple..

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2020 at 12:56 AM Post #7 of 35
JJ 6836 tubes are pricey too, and they are new

Jun 7, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #12 of 35
Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #14 of 35
Jun 7, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #15 of 35
So here is one that especially burned me up. So much so that I wrote the seller. He originally had this listed as a "GE 421A 5998" hoping to trick people into thinking this was a higher end tube instead of a cheapo 6as7g. After I wrote him and called him out on the tube type and his pricing he responded that he was doing nothing wrong since he was just listing what SOCKET it was compatible with, and cited his 100% feedback record. Scummy. I did notice today that he changed the listing to put the 6as7g first and make it less deceptive, but he still has stupid high pricing. Beware this listing practice on ebay! A search for higher end tubes often brings results like this.

Edit: So the guy wrote me back, letting me know that he's 'not a business, just selling some tubes he has laying around (he has 540 items for sale right now) and telling me "very sorry that you're unemployed I hope you get a job soon so you can do something better with your time." Avoid this guy like the plague.

Capture1.PNG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back