Over-hype thread...
Oct 25, 2012 at 6:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

KodaO

100+ Head-Fier
There has been an explosion of dislike for the M50's on another thread that was irrelevant to the subject, so I'll take the liberty of starting a thread for head-fi'ers to express concerns of "over stated" headphones

Oct 25, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #2 of 3
The ATH-M50 is a very misunderstood headphone.  As a starter headphone people find it dry and somewhat lifeless.  This is what getting into a neutral headphone feels like if one does not experience headphones with either a bass emphasis or a treble emphasis.  The ATH-M50 is a great headphone because the frequency response is pretty flat considering it can be found for around $150 or less.  They seal really well and are built like a tank unlike the Sennheiser HD-280 Pro which almost always breaks.

Most people who do not like the ATH-M50 have not heard enough headphones to really appreciate it for what it is.

Oct 25, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #3 of 3
I've got to disagree here. M50 to me does not sound lifeless at all and it was my first headphone purchase (apart from some earbuds). It is very fun sounding with a good amount of quantity bass.

As for the overrated part, I am not sure. Yes it has downsides to it (sibilance etc) but for it's price, I'm not afraid suggest it for someone who wants to start their expensive headphone journey :D

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back