Over Ear Recommendation...
Mar 7, 2019 at 1:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Heady Ways

New Head-Fier
Hi all, 1st post! Been lurking for a while, thanks for all of the great info. Ok still having trouble deciding on new cans.

Ive recently taken a liking to vinyl and that has led me to an obsession with amps, tables, speakers etc. Headphones not so much. I am hoping to change that some with the purchase of some new headphones. This will be a 40th bday present so I would like them to be something that will stay with me a while. I really have no frame of reference for what good cans sound like unless I didn't know it at the time. All I have heard are Grado Sr80e and my son had some wireless beats so those are whatever. The Grado's sound fine but are majorly uncomfortable, and the cables are really heavy and fixed which I don't like. Hope this order isn' t too tall, my apologies if so.

Price range is $400

Some headphones that have peaked my interest are:

Oppo PM3- look really cool, reviews are positive. Are planars the real deal at this price range? Seem to check most/all the boxes

Beoplay H6- Surprised by all of the good reviews and comments on sound quality.

Meze Audio 99 classics- Look cool also. Positive review. Unsure about high frequency quality

Beyerdynamic- Still have to do some searching across the model range and Im a bit confused still. Reviews all seem positive. Those grey velour ear pads look pretty fresh!

Wood bodied Fostex- Look amazing. Entry level ones are bordering a bit out of price range. But if you can convince me the sound is worth it please do

Here some requirements I have that are mostly by order

-Easily found as my wife/family would be buying

-Can be driven by iphone and ipad.

-Closed back. I am a bit of a night owl so I like listening to new music in bed. I don't travel a ton but its nice to have a closed back option

-Replaceable cable

-Clean high frequencies, not recessed too much

-Aesthetics as these will be with me for a while

-Soundstage... I know it wont match the grado's but it is a plus if the cans are on the better end of the spectrum for reviewed closed backs

-Not a bass head, but want to feel it a bit

THANKS SO MUCH!

Mar 7, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #2 of 24
Hi all, 1st post! Been lurking for a while, thanks for all of the great info. Ok still having trouble deciding on new cans.

Ive recently taken a liking to vinyl and that has led me to an obsession with amps, tables, speakers etc. Headphones not so much. I am hoping to change that some with the purchase of some new headphones. This will be a 40th bday present so I would like them to be something that will stay with me a while. I really have no frame of reference for what good cans sound like unless I didn't know it at the time. All I have heard are Grado Sr80e and my son had some wireless beats so those are whatever. The Grado's sound fine but are majorly uncomfortable, and the cables are really heavy and fixed which I don't like. Hope this order isn' t too tall, my apologies if so.

Price range is $400

Some headphones that have peaked my interest are:

Oppo PM3- look really cool, reviews are positive. Are planars the real deal at this price range? Seem to check most/all the boxes

Beoplay H6- Surprised by all of the good reviews and comments on sound quality.

Meze Audio 99 classics- Look cool also. Positive review. Unsure about high frequency quality

Beyerdynamic- Still have to do some searching across the model range and Im a bit confused still. Reviews all seem positive. Those grey velour ear pads look pretty fresh!

Wood bodied Fostex- Look amazing. Entry level ones are bordering a bit out of price range. But if you can convince me the sound is worth it please do

Here some requirements I have that are mostly by order

-Easily found as my wife/family would be buying

-Can be driven by iphone and ipad.

-Closed back. I am a bit of a night owl so I like listening to new music in bed. I don't travel a ton but its nice to have a closed back option

-Replaceable cable

-Clean high frequencies, not recessed too much

-Aesthetics as these will be with me for a while

-Soundstage... I know it wont match the grado's but it is a plus if the cans are on the better end of the spectrum for reviewed closed backs

-Not a bass head, but want to feel it a bit

THANKS SO MUCH!
You already have a pretty good list but I would still add the B&W P7 and the NAD HP50 to the list anyway. Maybe read about them and see what you think. Possible one might work.

Mar 7, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #4 of 24
Audeze Mobius > Oppo PM-3. For reals! The only inconvenient factor is that the Mobius isn't a passive headphone, but when it comes to most facets of sound quality and voicing, the Mobius is a superior listen to the PM-3. Both are about the same in terms of ergonomics, with the Mobius having slightly bigger cups (due to onboard electronics). Looks-wise, the PM-3 is far nicer tho.

Mar 7, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #5 of 24
All great choices, you’re on the right track! I have the H6 Gen 2 and I think they sound very good but I have not heard the others. The treble is the best quality of it I think; present but not harsh, very smooth and crystal clean. Overall fairly neutral and balanced sound.

PM-3 might be hard to find unfortunately since it’s not longer in production. From what I gather the P7 is similar to the H6 but slightly more v shaped and with a warmer tone. Fostex TH-X00 is actually semi open, it has some type of opening around the ear pads so the isolation I’ve heard isn’t great. Meze 99, got a pad revision and now it apparently has a ton of bass. Really tried to like the Beyer DT770 but the treble was too much for me.

Mobius might be worth a look too...

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2019 at 10:17 PM Post #8 of 24
Audeze Mobius > Oppo PM-3. For reals! The only inconvenient factor is that the Mobius isn't a passive headphone, but when it comes to most facets of sound quality and voicing, the Mobius is a superior listen to the PM-3. Both are about the same in terms of ergonomics, with the Mobius having slightly bigger cups (due to onboard electronics). Looks-wise, the PM-3 is far nicer tho.

I’ll have to look more into the Mobius, not sure if I can get past the looks. Too plastic gamer looking. Thanks for your reply

Mar 7, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #9 of 24
All great choices, you’re on the right track! I have the H6 Gen 2 and I think they sound very good but I have not heard the others. The treble is the best quality of it I think; present but not harsh, very smooth and crystal clean. Overall fairly neutral and balanced sound.

PM-3 might be hard to find unfortunately since it’s not longer in production. From what I gather the P7 is similar to the H6 but slightly more v shaped and with a warmer tone. Fostex TH-X00 is actually semi open, it has some type of opening around the ear pads so the isolation I’ve heard isn’t great. Meze 99, got a pad revision and now it apparently has a ton of bass. Really tried to like the Beyer DT770 but the treble was too much for me.

Mobius might be worth a look too...

I’ll have to read up on the current Meze thanks

Mar 7, 2019 at 10:32 PM Post #11 of 24
Funny I was leaning towards Oppo when I leaned they were local to me, and I learned shorty after they shut down. Was thinking of buying American and practice what I preach. My sale won’t be enough save them ugh
I know, it’s a shame. The PM-3 is a very well liked headphone and one I’d like to hear some day. Maybe you can find it used for a decent price? They appear quite often.

Mar 8, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #15 of 24
Thanks a bunch everyone! So I have it narrowed down. All seem great and I think it’s a good enough list I’ll let the fam decide and I’ll be happy either way. Adds to excitement. Will report back

Oppo PM3 (if found)
B&O H6
Meze 99
NAD HP50
Final Audio Sonorous iii (late entrant)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back