Over Ear Recommendation...
Mar 8, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #16 of 24
Thanks a bunch everyone! So I have it narrowed down. All seem great and I think it’s a good enough list I’ll let the fam decide and I’ll be happy either way. Adds to excitement. Will report back

Oppo PM3 (if found)
B&O H6
Meze 99
NAD HP50
Final Audio Sonorous iii (late entrant)
Pretty solid list I would say. Good luck!

Mar 8, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #17 of 24
I have both the H6 and Classics as my portables. Both are fantastic imo, but for different reasons with different qualities. The 1st thing that comes to mind is that IPhone. The Classics are super easy to drive. Unfortunately, imo and several others, the new pads on them degraded the sound quality. All new sets are sold with the new pads. I had to track down a pair with the original pads. I'd definitely attempt to give them a listen before purchasing. I'd read through the designated threads on both of these options.

Mar 9, 2019 at 10:43 PM Post #18 of 24
I have both the H6 and Classics as my portables. Both are fantastic imo, but for different reasons with different qualities. The 1st thing that comes to mind is that IPhone. The Classics are super easy to drive. Unfortunately, imo and several others, the new pads on them degraded the sound quality. All new sets are sold with the new pads. I had to track down a pair with the original pads. I'd definitely attempt to give them a listen before purchasing. I'd read through the designated threads on both of these options.

Thanks for the input! Just curious as to which cans you would prefer of the two if you had to choose? Also is the ear pad difference that critical to the enjoyment of the Meze 99’s. If so then it won’t be cost prohibitive if I get the current model. Maybe I’ll sneak some upgraded cables while I’m at it! Those special edition Gralhite Grey Blush H6’s look mighty tasty also

Mar 9, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #19 of 24
Thanks for the input! Just curious as to which cans you would prefer of the two if you had to choose? Also is the ear pad difference that critical to the enjoyment of the Meze 99’s. If so then it won’t be cost prohibitive if I get the current model. Maybe I’ll sneak some upgraded cables while I’m at it! Those special edition Gralhite Grey Blush H6’s look mighty tasty also
I honestly don't think I could pick one. They aren't really side dishes. More like shrimp and steak. I'd read through the Classics thread. To my ears, there is a noticeable difference between pads. The Classics are the more aggressive, up front and exciting sound signature, where as the H6 is super smooth yet dynamic. Mids are more forward and bass is bigger on the Classics. I hear better separation and air from the H6. The wood cups have a special resonance property to them on the Classics. The H6 is better balanced and slightly more engaging. Yeah, I can't choose just one. Though one big bonus with the Classics is I can listen to them balanced.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2019 at 11:25 PM Post #20 of 24
Another thing worth mentioning, the 99 Classic is being re-released in collaboration with Massdrop, called the 99 Noir, and the first drop called $200 which seems like a very good price. Don't know when it will go live again. It should share the same tuning as the 99 Classic. I haven't heard the 99C but I have heard the new pads really mess with the sound. Just about every major headphone reviewer said the bass is too much. Yet others on forums say it's not that bad. So I don't know. But I too find the H6 balanced pretty nicely and they're a great listen, especially with improved sources. They too are a little bassy, but mostly lower bass (I find it to be quite present on bass heavy tracks).

Actually listening to them right now, Under Pressure is playing. John Deacon's bass line sounds nice, tight and clean :)

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2019 at 11:28 PM Post #21 of 24
Another thing worth mentioning, the 99 Classic is being re-released in collaboration with Massdrop, called the 99 Noir, and the first drop called $200 which seems like a very good price. Don't know when it will go live again. It should share the same tuning as the 99 Classic. I haven't heard the 99C but I have heard the new pads really mess with the sound. Just about every major headphone reviewer said the bass is too much. Yet others on forums say it's not that bad. So I don't know. But I too find the H6 balanced pretty nicely and they're a great listen, especially with improved sources. They too are a little bassy, but mostly lower bass (I find it to be quite present on bass heavy tracks).

Actually listening to them right now, Under Pressure is playing. John Deacon's bass line sounds nice, tight and clean :)
I don't find them bassy at all. I think it's just right, ever so slightly north of neutral.

Mar 9, 2019 at 11:37 PM Post #22 of 24
I don't find them bassy at all. I think it's just right, ever so slightly north of neutral.
Interesting...I find it to depend on the song (mix/master), but on something with heavy lower bass in the mix, I do hear it as a little dominant. It is a slight boost, but it's there, in the lower bass. I hear it as a tad muddy sometimes but not in a way that bleeds into the mids. Certainly not as bassy as the 99C and not even close to a basshead can, and they're still pretty neutral all in all. It's just a small tasteful boost I would say in that lower region, that is most noticeable on a track that's already bass-heavy.

I couldn't believe how heavy the bass sounded on Brian Eno's 'Apollo' on my H6. Strong but mostly clean. I tried it on my HD6XX and even on that headphone it sounded quite bass heavy, but not as much as the H6. I think that album is a great one for bass testing. It goes so deep, it's kind of incredible...

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2019 at 11:44 PM Post #23 of 24
Interesting...I find it to depend on the song (mix/master), but on something with heavy lower bass in the mix, I do hear it as a little dominant. It is a slight boost, but it's there, in the lower bass. I hear it as a tad muddy sometimes but not in a way that bleeds into the mids. Certainly not as bassy as the 99C and not even close to a basshead can, and they're still pretty neutral all in all. It's just a small tasteful boost I would say in that lower region, that is most noticeable on a track that's already bass-heavy.

I couldn't believe how heavy the bass sounded on Brian Eno's 'Apollo' on my H6. Strong but mostly clean. I tried it on my HD6XX and even on that headphone it sounded quite bass heavy, but not as much as the H6. I think that album is a great one for bass testing. It goes so deep, it's kind of incredible...
Exactly. Small, tasteful boost

Mar 10, 2019 at 1:19 AM Post #24 of 24
Awesome to hear comments on these cans thanks again. Looking forward to hearing one of these for the first time. After being obsessed with turntables, amps, and speakers for the last couple years I totally wrote off listening to a nice set of phones. I think part of the problem was owning the sr80e’s. My ears would be sore from the foams on my ears within an hour, and the cables are heavy as heck. Granted they aren’t really over ears so not a fair comparison

Users who are viewing this thread

Back