Over-Ear Headphones Under $500 (£320) For Rock, Metal, Hip-Hop and Gaming: Narrowed Down to HD700, Fidelio X2 & Pandora Hope/Sonorous XI BUT Other Suggestions Always Appreciated
Aug 13, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #16 of 29
990 is pretty bass light especially without tubes.

HE-400 is U-shaped for sure. I own a pair.

Wow.  You must be a real basshead.  Granted I never heard the DT 990, but I have heard the DT 880 which I thought had plentiful bass (more than average).  Your tastes are probably closer to the thread starter's though so your advice would be more accurate.  Sounds like the HE-400 might be the ideal choice.

Aug 13, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #17 of 29
Wow.  You must be a real basshead.  Granted I never heard the DT 990, but I have heard the DT 880 which I thought had plentiful bass (more than average).  Your tastes are probably closer to the thread starter's though so your advice would be more accurate.  Sounds like the HE-400 might be the ideal choice.

First of all, oops I thought you said 880. Don't think I've heard the 990.

I listen to a lot of pop and hip hop and I like my headphones to thump when they need to.

I'd be curious as to what upstream gear caused your impression of the 880 to have more than average bass. I've only heard it on a solid state amp so maybe it just needs some of that tube magic.

Anywho, I'd say the 880 has everything generally in line with neutral but the treble is jacked up maybe 4-6 dB. Bass extension is average. I didn't think 990 but I could be totally wrong.

Aug 13, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #18 of 29
First of all, oops I thought you said 880. Don't think I've heard the 990.

I listen to a lot of pop and hip hop and I like my headphones to thump when they need to.

I'd be curious as to what upstream gear caused your impression of the 880 to have more than average bass. I've only heard it on a solid state amp so maybe it just needs some of that tube magic.

Anywho, I'd say the 880 has everything generally in line with neutral but the treble is jacked up maybe 4-6 dB. Bass extension is average. I didn't think 990 but I could be totally wrong.

It was at an audition, I don't remember the actual equipment used but it was a solid state amp.  I'm just accustomed to bass light headphones (my current one is).  The DT 880 is definitely more neutral than anything.  

Aug 13, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #19 of 29
HE-400 is not bass heavy and could be perceived as u-shaped due to a zingy treble spike. They're punchy and quick, but not versatile. The DT990 would be a better choice.

Aug 13, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #20 of 29
HE-400 is not bass heavy and could be perceived as u-shaped due to a zingy treble spike. They're punchy and quick, but not versatile. The DT990 would be a better choice.

Depends on the pads. The HE-400 sound changes a lot with different pads. With the stock pleather pads, they have some thump. Many put the velour pads on them which opens them up but reduces the bass by a significant amount.

Aug 13, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #21 of 29
I was talking about the stock pads. I really would be hesitant to recommend them.

Aug 14, 2015 at 5:42 AM Post #22 of 29
I'm starting to think this 'U-shaped sound signature' thing is really getting a bit out of hand, I am by no means a bass head or a treble head (does that exist??). I just wanted a little more punch in the bass and a little more sparkle in the treble, however, this is my first time buying such high-end headphones, and maybe those things are an inherent characteristic of any decent headphone.

It's beginning to look more and more between the HD 700 and the HE-500.

I think the soundstage of the HD 700s is the largest at this price range (please correct me if I am wrong), however, just taking a glance at the appreciation thread and the freq response graphs, there is quite a treble spike. Since I am younger than many Head-Fi-ers here, I am frightened I may find this more prenounced and sibilent. There seems to be a lot of love for the HD 800s and a strong modding community too, however, very little and a weak one for the 700s. Please add your 2 cents!

I think the sound signature of the HE-500s may be the most suited to me, however, the soundstage is far smaller than the former HD 700. This may not be great for gaming, but, there are a lot of HE-400/HE-400i/HE-500/HE-560 owners and a strong modding community. I am definatly willing to try out some (reversable) mods. Please add your 2 cents.

I am unsure of what, if anything, fills the void between these cans and the attributes I like about them (huge sound stage, good sound signature and modding community), or if it will become a pick one or the other kind of thing.

As for the DT990, I am also apprehencive of potential sibilance and I hate the non-removable cable. The latter problem applies to the DT880, however, I was considering it for a long time. My headphone budget increased so I started looking at more expensive cans however. Also the 880 is semi-open and thus has a smaller sound stage.

Thanks to everyone who has contributated thus far! Please correct my (probably plentiful) mistakes/misconceptions and add your $0.02!

Cheers again!

Aug 14, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #23 of 29
I'm starting to think this 'U-shaped sound signature' thing is really getting a bit out of hand, I am by no means a bass head or a treble head (does that exist??). I just wanted a little more punch in the bass and a little more sparkle in the treble, however, this is my first time buying such high-end headphones, and maybe those things are an inherent characteristic of any decent headphone.

It's beginning to look more and more between the HD 700 and the HE-500.

I think the soundstage of the HD 700s is the largest at this price range (please correct me if I am wrong), however, just taking a glance at the appreciation thread and the freq response graphs, there is quite a treble spike. Since I am younger than many Head-Fi-ers here, I am frightened I may find this more prenounced and sibilent. There seems to be a lot of love for the HD 800s and a strong modding community too, however, very little and a weak one for the 700s. Please add your 2 cents!

I think the sound signature of the HE-500s may be the most suited to me, however, the soundstage is far smaller than the former HD 700. This may not be great for gaming, but, there are a lot of HE-400/HE-400i/HE-500/HE-560 owners and a strong modding community. I am definatly willing to try out some (reversable) mods. Please add your 2 cents.

I am unsure of what, if anything, fills the void between these cans and the attributes I like about them (huge sound stage, good sound signature and modding community), or if it will become a pick one or the other kind of thing.

As for the DT990, I am also apprehencive of potential sibilance and I hate the non-removable cable. The latter problem applies to the DT880, however, I was considering it for a long time. My headphone budget increased so I started looking at more expensive cans however. Also the 880 is semi-open and thus has a smaller sound stage.

Thanks to everyone who has contributated thus far! Please correct my (probably plentiful) mistakes/misconceptions and add your $0.02!

Cheers again!

99/100 audiophiles would recommend the HE-500 over the HD 700 and I'm one of them.  The HE-500's sound stage is plenty big for music and gaming, and it's much more transparent and has a far more natural tone.  It's more linear but not dry or dull, it doesn't have the HD 700's siblance, I found it to be more punchy and have better mids.

Aug 14, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #24 of 29

A little more than what? That description is fairly meaningless without a frame of reference. Headphone A might achieve that for me, but not at all for you. Headphone B might be too much bass and treble for me, and just right for you--or vice versa. We need a common listening experience that we can share to figure that out. So you can have no confidence that this discussion is helping you at all unless you have that frame of reference, and no one can really be certain they are helping you either.

As previously asked in this thread, can you list some headphones you have heard and what you did or did not like about them? Or perhaps you have used neutral pro-audio speakers (which ones) and so you want a little more bass and treble than neutral?

Aug 14, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #25 of 29
A little more than what? That description is fairly meaningless without a frame of reference. Headphone A might achieve that for me, but not at all for you. Headphone B might be too much bass and treble for me, and just right for you--or vice versa. We need a common listening experience that we can share to figure that out. So you can have no confidence that this discussion is helping you at all unless you have that frame of reference, and no one can really be certain they are helping you either.

As previously asked in this thread, can you list some headphones you have heard and what you did or did not like about them? Or perhaps you have used neutral pro-audio speakers (which ones) and so you want a little more bass and treble than neutral?

Good point.. Now I feel more thick than usual:wink:

I've been useing the Sony MDR V6, quite an analytical phone I believe, as over-ears cans, and the Bose in-ear sport ear-phones (a gift) as in-ears. I will soon be upgrading the latter too. I guess you can see that this will be my first adventure into more advanced (and expensive) cans.

Thanks

Aug 14, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #26 of 29
Describe in detail what you like/don't like/want to improve about the Sony MDR-V6 (bass, treble, mids quantity and quality, soundstage, image, comfort, etc.). A lot of head-fiers are familiar with that headphone, and then they can recommend based upon your experience with it :)

Aug 14, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #27 of 29
Describe in detail what you like/don't like/want to improve about the Sony MDR-V6 (bass, treble, mids quantity and quality, soundstage, image, comfort, etc.). A lot of head-fiers are familiar with that headphone, and then they can recommend based upon your experience with it :)

Treble - A little more detail (probably there anyway due to 5x the price :D) and brightness.
Mids - More richness and fullness along with clarity and detail (probably there anyway).
Bass - I would like a bit more bass here, I feel as if the Sonys are lacking in the bass.
Soundstage and imaging - I really would like the most expansive soundstage with the most precise imaging. The Sonys are NOT good enough here.
Comfort - Meh, whatever, it's decent, does not need to be improved much, but I would like to feel a little like I have $500 on my head.:)

Thanks cel

Aug 14, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #28 of 29
The V6 tend to roll off in the sub bass region. Perhaps you want something with more extension? Or do you want more bass emphasis in the mid bass region? If the latter, given that you would like a bit more treble brightness, seems like a headphone with a slight v-shaped response might suit you.

I liked my HE-400 (not th 400i) in comparison to my V6's. Not so much more bass as deeper bass extension, where as the V6 roll off a good bit in the sub bass. Mids are a bit more recessed in places, but still sound very good to me. Resolution is far better due to the planar magnetic drivers. Bass texture/definition is significantly better than the V6. Comfort? A good bit heavier. And that's true for most of the HiFiMan headphones. Be sure you are OK with that if you go with any of them.

Aug 14, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #29 of 29
The V6 tend to roll off in the sub bass region. Perhaps you want something with more extension? Or do you want more bass emphasis in the mid bass region? If the latter, given that you would like a bit more treble brightness, seems like a headphone with a slight v-shaped response might suit you.

I liked my HE-400 (not th 400i) in comparison to my V6's. Not so much more bass as deeper bass extension, where as the V6 roll off a good bit in the sub bass. Mids are a bit more recessed in places, but still sound very good to me. Resolution is far better due to the planar magnetic drivers. Bass texture/definition is significantly better than the V6. Comfort? A good bit heavier. And that's true for most of the HiFiMan headphones. Be sure you are OK with that if you go with any of them.

Weight shouldn't be too much of an issue, so long as I don't need to start some Russian neck excercises :D. You would reccomend the HE-500s then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back