Over Ear Headphones, pref. iphone friendly
Sep 18, 2012 at 4:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

newbie474

New Head-Fier
I am in the market for a new set of over-the-ear headphones -- I'm not an audiophile really, but want something that sounds good, is comfortable (large head, wear glasses), closed (for noise isolation and minimal leakage), and something that preferably has an in-line remote and mic since I will mainly be using them on the go with my iphone. I originally did my search w/o the latter variable and narrowed it down to Audio Technica M50, Sony V6, Shure 440 or 840, and the Klipsch Image One. Is there really no way to replace the cables or somehow add a mic or remote to these headphones (excluding the Klipsch obviously, since it already has that)?

When I started looking specifically at headphones that do have remote/mic, it seems that the best options are the Klipsch and the Bose Ae2i, with the Bose coming out ahead especially for comfort. Am I right? Any suggestions? Budget is $150.

Sep 19, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #3 of 22
I'd recommend the V6, Shure 880, and the M50. But what will you be doing with these headphones? Music? Games? Do they need to be portable?

Sep 19, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #4 of 22
But the V6, shure, and m50 do not have mic/remote capabilities -- are the cables replaceable with cables that do have those capabilities? that's what i am looking for.

otherwise, generally will be using headphones for music, and yes they will need to be portable, and also would like them to have mic/remote functionality so that i can take phone calls with it while on my iphone.

Sep 19, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:
But the V6, shure, and m50 do not have mic/remote capabilities -- are the cables replaceable with cables that do have those capabilities? that's what i am looking for.

otherwise, generally will be using headphones for music, and yes they will need to be portable, and also would like them to have mic/headphone functionality.

Your really narrowing down the options to about none with the iPhone cable. Wait the V-Moda M80's have a mic inline and remote. Very good headphone that look very nice.
http://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-Crossfade-On-Ear-Noise-Isolating-Headphone/dp/B005HSDLCO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348090484&sr=8-1&keywords=Vmoda+m80

Sep 19, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #6 of 22
but the klipsch and the bose ae2i are iphone compatable (have mic/remote), and they seem to be good, no?

the cables on the m50 and shure (not sure about the v6) are detachable - is it possible to buy a separate cable that has remote/mic and use that on the m50 or shure? anyone know?

Sep 19, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:
but the klipsch and the bose ae2i are iphone compatable (have mic/remote), and they seem to be good, no?

the cables on the m50 and shure (not sure about the v6) are detachable - is it possible to buy a separate cable that has remote/mic and use that on the m50 or shure? anyone know?

IMO the only bose headphones worth buying are the QC15s, and they're pretty pricey, because of the Noise Cancelling. The klipsch headphones, from reading around seem to be...ehhhh.

Also, the M50 does NOT have a detachable cable. Neither does the V6.

Sep 19, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:
Have you tried the ae2is? If so, what don't you like about them?

The bose arent good. Thats why I dont recommend them.

Sep 19, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:
HOW are they not good?

You can get better headphones for less. Like the Beyerdynamic DT770. Why do you need a mic inline and volume button so bad anyways?? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back