Over-ear alternative to grado sr80e?
Oct 23, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #18 of 25

The Senn in a velty smooth sort of way.

"Velty smooth"? Would the Grados be better for listening to rock then. That's mostly what I listen to. Every kind of rock except heavy metal.

That depends on taste/preferred sound signature.

Grados are very well regarded for the way they present rock and electric blues.  However, some find them to be too harsh and/or have comfort issues with them.

The Senn is a great alrounder.  It does everything well--except very fast music.  There tends to be far fewer "deal breaker" complaints with the Senn.  Some prefer its sound signature over Grado for rock.

Oct 23, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #19 of 25

That depends on taste/preferred sound signature.

Grados are very well regarded for the way they present rock and electric blues.  However, some find them to be too harsh and/or have comfort issues with them.

The Senn is a great alrounder.  It does everything well--except very fast music.  There tends to be far fewer "deal breaker" complaints with the Senn.  Some prefer its sound signature over Grado for rock.

Hmm ok maybe I will go for the HD 558 then. I see one on ebay for 120 euro. Thank you for your help and patience.

Oct 24, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #22 of 25
  They are closed-back though. Open-back headphones have a more realistic sound don't they?

That depends on what your reference is, considering there are open-back headphones that are realistic for certain situations. If dampened well enough they can hold their own. 

For example, let's stray a bit out of the budget range. If for example your reference is the tone and dynamic range of the drums if you yourself are playing, with no regard to soundstage, then the SR325 is the most realistic out there. As in you can really hear the cymbals that close to your head. If for example your reference is somewhere in the middle of the audience, then the K550 for example has a slightly more realistic image.

Oct 24, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #23 of 25

That depends on what your reference is, considering there are open-back headphones that are realistic for certain situations. If dampened well enough they can hold their own. 

For example, let's stray a bit out of the budget range. If for example your reference is the tone and dynamic range of the drums if you yourself are playing, with no regard to soundstage, then the SR325 is the most realistic out there. As in you can really hear the cymbals that close to your head. If for example your reference is somewhere in the middle of the audience, then the K550 for example has a slightly more realistic image.

I think I would prefer to be in the audience.

Oct 25, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #24 of 25
  I think I would prefer to be in the audience.

The thing with Grados is that many people use the term "front row," but get them loud enough and it sounds like you're up on the stage already. Wear them in reverse and it will sound like you're in the middle facing the audience. That said, the overall tonality and easy to drive characteristics of SR80 and SR60 are a nice compromise if you don't care about imaging nor need the isolation.

Nov 7, 2014 at 5:21 AM Post #25 of 25
I heard you can mod the pads of the Grado's too.

There are other threads out there... but I'm sure you could also play around with pads you find online that can fit the cups.  They can be made to be over ear if you so desire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back