Over-ear alternative to grado sr80e?
Oct 22, 2014 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

AaronStewart

New Head-Fier
Hi, I want to buy a pair of open-back headphones and have been seriously considering buying the Grado SR80e. I have tried them out and love their sound.

However, the Grados are on-ear headphones and I would prefer over-ear headphones. I was just wondering could anyone recommend a pair of over-ear headphones that sound as good or better than the Grado SR80e in the same price range?  I think the maximum I would want to pay is 150 Dollars as these will be my first proper headphones.

Oct 23, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #4 of 25
  Thanks for the reply. What is so different about the Grados from anything else in my budget?

1. Easy to drive with good dynamic range
2. Overall decent performance
3. "Forward" sound thanks to its response+on-ear design (note that for soem this is a flaw due to the effect on the soundstage; everyone who doesn't care about accurate, relative positioning of the instruments will not even be aware of this so go right ahead)

Oct 23, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #5 of 25

1. Easy to drive with good dynamic range
2. Overall decent performance
3. "Forward" sound thanks to its response+on-ear design (note that for soem this is a flaw due to the effect on the soundstage; everyone who doesn't care about accurate, relative positioning of the instruments will not even be aware of this so go right ahead)

What if I do care about "accurate, relative positioning of the instruments"?

Oct 23, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #6 of 25

While some will point to cans that are equal to or better than the Grados, none will have a sound signature close to them.  That's certainly true within your budget.

Thanks for the reply. What is so different about the Grados from anything else in my budget?

Listen to one and you will know.  Engaging, forward, certainly not neutral, sitting on the stage with the band...

Oct 23, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #8 of 25
  What if I do care about "accurate, relative positioning of the instruments"?

Not in that price range (that I'm aware of), unfortunately. Cheapest I know would be the Q701 - its advantages in imaging are due to having the driver a bit forward of the ears (something many of its competitors also do, sort of) but more importantly the earpads have an angle to them that mimics the toe-in angle of speakers, reducing glare brought on by directly firing into the ears (or outright smaller soundstage, as on IEMs, which are inside the outer ear firing into the ear canal).

You can also try the largest Grado earpads first, then just tweak it, like the glue mod or tape mod, to seal in the bass (when moved too ar from the ears the bass response drops, lower than when you have brand new medium pads). If you have access to a 3D printer you can scan the driver side of the SR80, then scan the back side of a circumaural earpad like from Beyer, or an angled one like the Q701's or this one (check and make sure there's enough space around the driver on that one though), and then you can print a plastic adapter that can set the drivers on the Grados a bit father out from your ears.

Oct 23, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #10 of 25
  Ok well what are the best over-ear headphones (preferably open-backed) for under 150 dollars. I'm finding it really difficult to choose. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

Oct 23, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #11 of 25

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

Initially I won't be using an amp. I will probably get an amp eventually when I can afford one. 

I will be mainly using my headphones for listening to music on my laptop. I also have an iPod 5.5g which I plan to iMod some time in the foreseeable future. I will mostly be using IEMs with the iPod though because they're more portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back