OVC Vacuum Tube Headphones - Impressions Thread
Mar 28, 2019 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Dobrescu George

Reviewer: AudiophileHeaven
Okay, so this is the thread for OVC - Vacuum Tube Headphones!

They are actually real!!

Let's talk about them!

Site: https://headphone.ovcaudio.com/

Price: 300 USD

Specification
• Frequency response :10 Hz -45 kHz
• Headphone driver impedance : 300Ω
• S/N >90 dB
• THD < 1%
• One push button for power on/off and 3D selection
• Input terminal :3.5mm stereo mini jack with interlock
• Play time: approx 8 hours
• Power supply : Rechargable Li-pol
• Weight : 325 g

Also, some photos from their own site:

5c8bf0a27fb8f73a4ca4432a_xiao-p-800.jpeg

5c8bf0a27fb8f74caba44332_03.12-2-p-500.jpeg

5c8bf0a27fb8f7ef22a44333_001-p-500.jpeg

Mar 29, 2019 at 8:04 PM Post #3 of 19
Interesting @Dobrescu George,

I will definitely check this out, I like tubes...very much to a lot :)

However, this will be on the wait list, just got Neumann NDH 20

Keep up the good work !

Hope you have a great day !

Mar 29, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #4 of 19
Interesting @Dobrescu George,

I will definitely check this out, I like tubes...very much to a lot :)

However, this will be on the wait list, just got Neumann NDH 20

Keep up the good work !

Thank you for your kind words!

For this one, I think they may have some DSP at work as well though :)

Apr 1, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #5 of 19
Thank you for your kind words!

For this one, I think they may have some DSP at work as well though :)

Hi @Dobrescu George,

Nothing wrong with DSP if done well, prefer DSP more which is definitely better than using EQ for anything or just for the sake.

Apr 1, 2019 at 7:51 PM Post #6 of 19
Hi @Dobrescu George,

Nothing wrong with DSP if done well, prefer DSP more which is definitely better than using EQ for anything or just for the sake.

I agree actually, and think they implemented DSP really well :)

Seems there is a trend for companies to go with complex DSPs to make headphones sound good, my first really outstanding experience with this was with Audeze iSine20 and their Cipher cable, they sounded really really different and no EQ I could do could ever make them sound the same as the cipher cable

Here, I am not sure entirely what OVC Tube Headphones use, but whatever it is, it works really well! :)

Apr 1, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #7 of 19
I agree actually, and think they implemented DSP really well :)

Seems there is a trend for companies to go with complex DSPs to make headphones sound good, my first really outstanding experience with this was with Audeze iSine20 and their Cipher cable, they sounded really really different and no EQ I could do could ever make them sound the same as the cipher cable

Here, I am not sure entirely what OVC Tube Headphones use, but whatever it is, it works really well! :)

Hi @Dobrescu George,

As said, DSP, when done well, whether in speakers or head gear, makes all the difference though shouldn't be a benchmark but that's an entirely different conversation.

I prefer the Isine10 myself, especially with that Cipher cable but since most listening I do is not from a phone nor do I have an iPhone any more anyway, not much point to it as the Cipher cable is among the few with built in DSP which is actually decent without any user adjustment.

Well, one way to know about the OVC Tube Headphones is to find out... :)

Apr 2, 2019 at 1:09 AM Post #8 of 19
giphy (1).gif

Apr 3, 2019 at 4:01 AM Post #9 of 19
Reminds me of the iFi Audio's itube. Bought one tried it and it was just a mellow tone over everything. Sold it off immediately. So dont expect this to be different even with DSP. For a new toy to play with I guess 150USD is ok. But I'll pass.

Apr 3, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #10 of 19
Reminds me of the iFi Audio's itube. Bought one tried it and it was just a mellow tone over everything. Sold it off immediately. So dont expect this to be different even with DSP. For a new toy to play with I guess 150USD is ok. But I'll pass.

I actually have iTune2 as well

The OVC headphones have a really different sound to them, they aren't mellow, rather really magical in the midrange, really vivid and lively. Also, the same can be said about the treble and the bass, sparkly, impactful. Not mellow nor soft :)

Apr 4, 2019 at 6:33 AM Post #12 of 19
Oh if that is the case, I just pulled the trigger. Yeh!!! Early bird 130USD off the already low price. So another HP to my collection.
Thanks guys. Good to support those on the edge of HeadFi Innovation.
Kelvin

I hope you'll have a lot of fun with them!

Please make sure to also come back to this thread and report back on your experience, as right now there are very few owners and very few pairs out in the wild! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back