OVC TC20 initial impressions (not good)
Dec 10, 2007 at 6:14 AM Post #31 of 43
With ruler and calculator, I got following data:
80Hz 91.30db
60Hz 90.90db
Bass at 80Hz is only 0.40db higher than 60Hz. There is no significant decreasing from 80Hz to 60Hz.

tc20.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I started to perceive sound at about 65Hz, and it wasn't really noticeable until above 80Hz.

Quote:

"These earphones however, simply do not want to produce ANYTHING below 80Hz. "

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Dec 10, 2007 at 6:50 AM Post #32 of 43
Nankai, that Freq. Response graph closely matches what I found from doing my own freq. sweeps by ear.

Noting that every increase of 3dB equals a doubling of power, I read off the chart as:

with respect to the middle frequencies (mids), the bass is about 5-10dB lower at 200Hz (almost 25% to 6% the relative power of the mids), and below 200Hz it goes even lower (all the way to about 10-15dB lower, or 6% to 1% the power of the mids), and that's seriously what I was finding.

When I had the mids at the volume I prefer, there was no bass perceived. When I set the volume to a comfortable level with the mids, I noticed that below 80Hz was not perceived with other music playing, and that when I did pure tones anything below 65Hz was inaudible. When I cranked up the volume and did pure tones again, I was able to hear bass below 65Hz, though if I had played music at this level, I would have been in pain from the volume of the rest of the music.

Thanks for posting that though. I'm glad to at least see the graph agrees with me.

Dec 10, 2007 at 7:29 AM Post #33 of 43
Quote:

Nankai, it seems like you are putting me down by calling me dumb through implying that what I am hearing is NOT REALLY what these are producing.
That's sad man; real sad.

Wow. How did you get all that.

Dec 10, 2007 at 7:46 AM Post #34 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow. How did you get all that.

^_^, thanks kool bubba ice, that brought a smile to me!
Check out post 31 in this thread, and you see Nankai is still trying to discredit me. That's ok though, I stand by what I say, no matter how much Nankai tries to twist what I say to discredit me. Poor Nankai, he's still at it. ~_~

Dec 10, 2007 at 7:48 AM Post #35 of 43
everyone can have different opinions of sounds especially with canalphones/IEM's based on ear shape. fit is one of the biggest issues, but aside from that, ear shapes as well. if you don't like them, you don't have to use them. while i do believe nankai could've approached it better, i feel that the OP should've constructed his responses better. don't always tie their title to their opinions. he was simply stating what he believed and how he personally tested them, and yes, probably was offended by the approach the OP took to his native language and how he felt about the phones, not to try to sell them.

Quote:

Nankai,
Noting that every increase of 3dB equals a doubling of perceived sound loudness

no, 3dB is double the power. 10dB is double the perceived sound loudness.

Dec 10, 2007 at 8:06 AM Post #37 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoomzDayz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no, 3dB is double the power. 10dB is double the perceived sound loudness.

Thanks for the correction.

Dec 10, 2007 at 9:53 AM Post #38 of 43
I think this is a case of poor choice of words.

Towert7: If you had said that the canalphone is basslight, I am sure Nankai would be fine with you post, but instead you claim "These earphones however, simply do not want to produce ANYTHING below 80Hz." - which of course is no true. There is bass, not strong and may very well get overpowered by the mid, but it is there.

From what you said, I (as a non native-English-speaker, and may be others, possibly Nankai) will get the idea of a freq. responce on bass region going cliff diving, but instead it actually holds a flat line. There is a difference b/w saying 'I can't hear it' vs. 'It doesn't make the sound'. I think you could have better framed your words on this one.

I agree with DoomzDayz that Nankai, as the seller, might not be the best person to reply in this thread (but would it actually be better if he had asked someone else to do it instead, and should we feel fine if the replier is not him in this case?), and Towert7, as the OP, might read too much into what Nankai has posted (...and in a way, may be getting a bit too personal by using words like 'dumb', 'twist', 'discredit', etc ).

I can see good points from both sides of the argument, but I think we should get it a rest, for now.

My $0.02.

Dec 10, 2007 at 11:18 PM Post #40 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think this is a case of poor choice of words.

Towert7: If you had said that the canalphone is basslight, I am sure Nankai would be fine with you post, but instead you claim "These earphones however, simply do not want to produce ANYTHING below 80Hz." - which of course is no true. There is bass, not strong and may very well get overpowered by the mid, but it is there.

Yea, but for all intents and purposes, there is no bass below 80Hz, to me. I'm not talking in terms of absolutes, because frankly that doesn't matter when listening to headphones, it's only what is perceived when listening. If I do not perceive any bass, even though technically there is......... it doesn't matter, it does no good, and in the end we end up with a headphone with absolutely no bass weight.
I hope everybody can see the difference, and which side of the fence I fall on.

Dec 12, 2007 at 2:18 PM Post #41 of 43
I have something else to add here, the Build Quality.
It is rather funny to see someone trying to these into their ears. My short experience: "A" tries to put them in his ears, left goes in, right goes in. Oh wait, the left side just popped out of his ears, lets try again. No...they aren't staying in, again no....AH, finally they are in. Now, lets get the music playing. Hmmm hmmm...WHERE'S THE LEFT CHANNEL!?! -gives up and stuff them in his bag. THE END.

I mean seriously, this is what happened to this guy sitting opposite me, really funny. I don't know whether they are OVC TC20 or MylarOne X3s, they are the same thing anyway.

Dec 13, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #42 of 43
The way my ear is shaped, I never had a problem inserting them and having them stay in there. The comfort on these was really nice.

Dec 13, 2007 at 6:19 AM Post #43 of 43
yeah, I don't think a fitting problem should be classified as 'build quality' problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back