outlook of this site
Nov 24, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #2 of 24
This is a forum, not a portal. The main page a has bit of a portal look and feel. But once your in the forums they are just forums.

Nov 24, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #3 of 24
I completely agree with the OP. I love this site, but for a new user it is VERY difficult to navigate. This site is trying to be too many things.

The MAIN FORUM should be the easiest item to find on the opening page it is almost hidden as one additional item on the "getting around Head-Fi" box.

Don't get me wrong, I think this site is a huge resource to the headphone hi-fi community. It just needs to be cleaned up a bit.

Nov 24, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoulSyde /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The MAIN FORUM should be the easiest item to find on the opening page it is almost hidden as one additional item on the "getting around Head-Fi" box

Agreed - now I know where to find the link to forum it's OK, but initially getting to these pages was a bit of nightmare

Nov 24, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #5 of 24
Well yes, it is hard to navigate sometimes and it has no own personal identity.
Luckily it is all about the content
smile.gif

Nov 25, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with the OP. Head-Fi is a business. It should be more user friendly. Head-Fi would win and so would its members and readers.

Excuse me, but since when was Head-Fi a business? This is just an opinion forum for headphones, for which Jude had for years poured in lots of his own money. It's only recently that sponsors and donations have taken off and defrayed the cost, but it's still not a business, just a simple online forum.

I think the format's very straightforward... a new member really only needs the top section of forums titled "Equipment Forums" (fairly obvious) to read for quite a while.

Nov 25, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #10 of 24
It's a business. Sponsors pay money to advertise.

And yes, making Head-Fi more user friendly is a win for Head-Fi, its members, readers, and sponsors.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excuse me, but since when was Head-Fi a business? This is just an opinion forum for headphones, for which Jude had for years poured in lots of his own money. It's only recently that sponsors and donations have taken off and defrayed the cost, but it's still not a business, just a simple online forum.

I think the format's very straightforward... a new member really only needs the top section of forums titled "Equipment Forums" (fairly obvious) to read for quite a while.

Nov 25, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #11 of 24
I don't find it hard to navigate. I set the bookmark as www.head-fi.org/forums/
because you can get links to the sub forums with less clicks. It's also IMO well laid out, although having both "dedicated source components" and "computer audio" as separate forums may confuse people due to the massive overlap.

Nov 25, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #12 of 24
I have no idea what everyone is talking about, hard to navigate...? I found this site when googling headsets/headphones, once I clicked on a post that had shown up in my google search I navigated to the main forum page and bookmarked it...

I only visit the message board (where, imo, most primo info on most sites is located), so the only navigating I do is between forums, I have it easy I guess because that's all I'm really interested in, various posters' opinions/suggestions...

atsmile.gif

Nov 25, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #13 of 24
Since VBulletin is getting close to releasing a new publishing suite, including forums, I wouldn't be surprised if Head-fi gets a major functional and visual update in the not-to-distant future.

Nov 25, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #14 of 24
The search function on this forum (and many other forums for that matter) leaves a lot to be desired. I really dislike the 30sec wait period for searches too.

Nov 26, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by cwoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The search function on this forum (and many other forums for that matter) leaves a lot to be desired. I really dislike the 30sec wait period for searches too.

x2

However - I still spend far too much of my existence cruising this site ... and looking for my wallet.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back