Outlaw Cable troubles
Jan 22, 2003 at 7:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

revan

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I received my new interconnects from Outlaw and secured them to my NAD L40 on Monday. I wanted to try plugging them into a different spot and can't get them unlocked, am I being stupid - these things are on solid. Am I turning them the right way (facing the back, counterclockwise)?

Revan

Jan 22, 2003 at 7:33 PM Post #3 of 19
Exactly - I broke the RCA off of a TV once trying to unscrew one of these things. The real problem is how close the two jacks are - I don't have any room.

Revan

Jan 22, 2003 at 8:17 PM Post #4 of 19
That is one of my "issues" with the Outlaws. Even if they weren't so large, locking them down sometimes creates a "contact cement" effect that makes them a bitch to remove. Add to that the fact that on some components (the NAD C541i for example) they actually rub together that makes removal dicey at best. BE CAREFUL!!! You can easily screw up the jack's ground connection if you end up twisting the jacks while trying to remove the damn cables.
mad.gif

Jan 22, 2003 at 8:25 PM Post #5 of 19
my suggestion will be obvious after reading the last few posts. I have the outlaws and an nad 541i, when putting the outlaws on be sure not to tighten the locking caps too tight, if you do you will have a hell of a time getting them off, I found this out the hard way myself, fortunately I did not break anything in the process. there is no reason to tighten them more than a minimal hand tight, don't crank them down!

Jan 22, 2003 at 8:29 PM Post #6 of 19
So would you guys go so far as using pliers to loosen, wrapped to avoid scratching? The thought scares the hell out of me, since it is alot easier to apply too much force.

Revan

Jan 22, 2003 at 8:39 PM Post #7 of 19
I wouldn't advise it. But, if you have no other choice, BE CAREFUL!!!! Do not let the jack twist at all. I would just as soon hack the damn cable connector and call it a $50.00 lesson than screw up my amp.

Jan 22, 2003 at 8:58 PM Post #9 of 19
Try to rotate the component to get it into a position for better leverage if you can. Once in a decent position (hopefully you can get it into a decent position for a little leverage), make sure to try working both cables, as one might be looser than another. If the Outlaw cable has a strain relief aft of the locking collar, then grab onto that with one hand while you attempt to turn the collar with the other (holding the strain relief, if there is one, will help keep the jack from turning as you do this).

If you get one of the cables removed, then you'll have a much easier time removing the other.

Yeah, I know -- I've got a keen sense of the obvious; but, hey, at this point, if you're going to seriously consider cutting it off, any suggestion (no matter how obvious) is worth a try.

Jan 23, 2003 at 12:34 AM Post #12 of 19
I use the Outlaws, but don't tighten them at all once they're connected. I just twist the barrel until the end of the RCA plug is showing, then connect it to the component. I highly doubt tightening offers any noticable sonic benefits.

Jan 23, 2003 at 4:09 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by antness
This is a long shot, but what if you put some heat on the plug? Metal expands

Good idea...all materials (not just metal) expand under heat. (however, if you end up breaking something....don't blame me!!)

Jan 23, 2003 at 7:15 AM Post #15 of 19
be careful with the heat. undoubtedly there is plastic right around where you you will be heating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back