Outdated PC/mac which you still used
Jan 18, 2007 at 2:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

RYCeT

Headphoneus Supremus
I still used my Sony Vaio laptop FX-290 (if I'm not mistaken) P3-850, 192 Memory & 20 gb harddrive. It is 6 yo (bought it at 2001) It came out with windows me but I installed xp-pro on it.

My complain:
It's so slow (I know its spec it's not up to par for xp-pro) It's only purpose is browsing in my bedroom now.
The power connection is getting troublesome (I have to put the power cable at certain angle)
Battery is dead.
Touchpad is annoying (Mostly I use a usb mouse)

It doesn't hold up really well, my friend's HP which he bought about a year later hold up good enough (no problem with power connection & touchpad) however he has to change his hard-drive though. I don't think I'm going to buy another sony laptop. I'm planning to buy Macbook to replace it.

Jan 18, 2007 at 2:24 PM Post #2 of 24
I tend to update my PCs quickly and my Macs slowly. That may be because Windows is more resource intensive with each release (though its currently been a long time between releases) and OS X gets more efficient with each release. Then again until the Intel change over the Mac updates haven't been dramatic in a while. Until I just bought a MacBook recently my primary Mac was a six year old G4 tower.

And as someone who used to own a Vaio 505, you'll be happy with a MacBook. On top of everything else, Apple reportedly hired Sony designers to help on the MacBooks design. It even feels a little Sonyish.

Jan 18, 2007 at 3:06 PM Post #3 of 24
I have a K6-3/450 with 512MB in it that still runs fine, though I just swapped out a Sun Ultra 10 for a bit.

These two are 'servers' for me, they run 24/7 as long as my power stays up in the house.

I've got a 340MB drive that is still fine. I keep it around just in case I wind up with a drive failure and no other means to get a system online. This drive ran 24/7 for two years I would guess, it was my first gateway/server.

The newer systems have died on me more quickly. I have a carcass collection of 1Ghz era boxes, I could probably get one working system out of the parts.

Jan 18, 2007 at 3:23 PM Post #4 of 24
My main rig is dual Celeron II at 450MHz. It's perfectly capable of anything but serious work (which is done eighter at work or on my notebook).

Jan 18, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #5 of 24
My parents still use an old K-II 400Mhz with 256Mb RAM for their main system. They've actually had a new Dell laptop recently so they've just joined the update from Win98 to WinXP which they are floored with by comparison.

I'm actually hoping to get the older system back now so that I can use it as a server (shove Linux on it and get it going)

Jan 18, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #6 of 24
five years ago i built a cluster for a high school project and got a bunch of computers donated by a local large insurance company. Those computers have since been switched out and i got a few of the original boxes sitting around serving random things. They are ibm intellistation pro m's dual p-II 266mhz 512mb ecc ram circa 1995. They are rock solid.

I also have an old compaq armada laptop that was in service up until a month ago k6-2 500mhz 91 meg ram (don't know why its reported as such) 4 gb hdd. Some thing is seriously messed up in the hardware though. Its now slow enough that I can't get through a windows install, knoppix will take over an hour to boot a live cd. So when ever my student loan money decides to come in ... I"m buying a macbook pro.

Jan 18, 2007 at 4:35 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by sagekoala /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I"m buying a macbook pro.

I owned a MBP almost for one full hour..yesterday mine came, and crashed almost immediately..(awesome)
Supposed to be receiving another unit new as a replacement, but we will see how it works out
plainface.gif

My apple from from the 90s still has never crashed...

Jan 18, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #8 of 24
mine is a dell, a pentium 4 with 2.something ghz. we're going to pop out that chip and stick it on a proper mobo, put it into a quiet case, frankenstein the HDs and cards and things from the Dell, double the RAM, and bingo - new computer on the cheap!
wink.gif

Jan 18, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #9 of 24
@Audiofiler
yeah, I've heard stories similar to yours several times. I'm for sure going to get applecare on the thing, and I'm going to buy from the apple store that is nearby so i have somewhere to go and be loud.

I'm also still thinking about a IBM T60. I just can't decide. T60 looks to be a little more money, but a slight grade above.

I'd like to have another mac so i can use osx (last version I used was 10.0.3 on a G4 tower I had for a while). One department I'm in uses osx and the other is sun/linux/windows. So at least i could triple boot the mac.

*sigh* and here I am ranting, sorry

Jan 18, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #10 of 24
About two years back I was using a 533mhz 63MB P3 with win xp as my main computer. Had it for like 5+ years, eventually got a new one cause well... I couldn't do much. (though I tried) And it froze a few times *every* day.

My current pc is only outdated by the vid card (can't play some of the new games), but the rest of the system is a'ight.

Jan 18, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #11 of 24
I used a souped up PowerMac 7500 until 2003 as a desktop computer (I had a more modern laptop).

The G5 tower I have now is 3 years old this June. Benchmarks as well as some of the newer Mac models (low-end iMac, Mac Book, Mac Mini), and is way more upgradeable. Except for the noise (which is pushing me towards a Mini), this sucker will probably be with me another 5 years at least.

Macs have great longevity. Others do too, if you run something like Xubuntu (pre-2000 still cuts it a little short).

--Chris

Jan 18, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #12 of 24
i had previously owned a used iMac G4 @ 800MHz, 60GB HDD, and 512MB RAM. it only had OS X Panther installed before i had upgraded to Tiger. it was a great comp except it only had USB 1.1; so i sold it and bought a used PowerBook G4 (17", 1.5GHz, 100GB HDD, 1GB RAM). it may be a bit outdated, but not obsolete by any means....

Jan 18, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #13 of 24
I've still got my first computer ever running, an Athlon XP 1.4 ghz (overclocked a small bit to 1.57 ghz) with 256 megs of ram and a Geforce 2
tongue.gif
My little brother uses it right now. I'm currently running an Athlon 64 3000+ (overclocked from 1.8 to 2.6 ghz) with a gig of ram and a Geforce 6800GS. I'm going to use this for another month or so till I upgrade to a nice dual core rig.

Last year I rejuvenated an old IBM Thinkpad T21 with an 800mhz P3 - slapped in a hard drive from ebay and some old ram I had lying around and it works great. I've also set up a linux file/music/teamspeak server in my basement with 128 megs of ram, a 1ghz Athlon XP, and a Riva 128 graphics card.

Jan 18, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #14 of 24
I still have an Inspiron from back in 1999. It's 600Mhz PIII upgraded to 512MB RAM. =T They keyboard is horrible as it sometimes ignores a key press while sometimes thinking you pressed it twice. USB keyboard and mouse works fine. It can't hold any charge in the battery, but the power adaptor works fine. It's just used for browsing in the den and to play online mahjong, lol.

Jan 18, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #15 of 24
I still use my Baycom laptop that I bought in 2001: PIII 1Ghz, 256MB RAM, 10GB hard disk, DVD-Drive, USB+FireWire.

It was state of the art when I bought it; it was one of the first 1Ghz laptops. You can tell it was new because of the noise it makes. Like a bloody hurricane.

Other than that, I have no complaints. All it has to do is run Firefox, Foobar and Media Player Classic, which it does a fine job of. My 250GB external hard disk on FireWire takes care of the 10GB space limit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back