Outdated PC/mac which you still used
Jan 18, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #16 of 24
I was still using an old Pentium II 350 mhz on 128MB RAM as my only computer until a little over a year ago. It still chugged around at a pretty decent clip because I didn't use bloated software or anything that hogged system resources in the background.

Jan 18, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I owned a MBP almost for one full hour..yesterday mine came, and crashed almost immediately..(awesome)
Supposed to be receiving another unit new as a replacement, but we will see how it works out
plainface.gif

My apple from from the 90s still has never crashed...

mmmmhm.

I still have a nice little 13incher from god-knows-when-1980 that has never crashed on me. I use my MBP for portable recording projects and the like, and it's unstable all the time, and the screen (both internal and external) gets these damn lines running horizontally through it for no good reason at all. I'm not sure what happened with Apple but they never used to release products with such obvious defects. I'm not the only one going through these issues - people are complaining everywhere in sight!

They used to build 'em better in the old days. I have a SPARC server that runs like an absolute charm, and it's almost 8 years old. Of course, my self-built Linux workstation runs the best, and it gets upgraded constantly..
biggrin.gif

Jan 18, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #18 of 24
I still use this POS:

comp6.JPG

The parts are old, not enough ram, the pump is loud, I'm too lazy to refill the water regularly, and one of the DVD burners is broken. Computers suck
frown.gif

Jan 18, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #19 of 24
My desktop is a 1ghz G4 tower. I've always gone with old technology. If I want current, I have work. But I've gone cutting edge now, and my wife and I each have 2ghz macbooks. Mine is a black core duo, hers a white core 2 duo. For years I ran on 10 yr old dec and sun workstations as my primary computer...

Jan 18, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #20 of 24
My desktop was originally a P3 450 from 1999. Then I upgraded the proc to a P3 1GHz and added in more RAM in 2001, IIRC. Intel's SE440BX-2 ftw!
biggrin.gif
No reason right now to replace it, I use it for DOS and other 16-bit games & software.

Jan 18, 2007 at 11:13 PM Post #21 of 24
My dad still uses an Apple IIC he bought me in 1985. I believe he still maintains a family tree database on it. All my games I had for it during high school are still in his home office. I don't think I've used that computer since 1990.

His setup looks pretty much like the photo in this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_IIC

Jan 19, 2007 at 6:08 AM Post #23 of 24
I have a Pentium 200MMX with 64MB RAM that I'm running Win2k and Foobar2k. It serves as a cheap, silent FLAC and CDDA transport with the SoundBlaster AWE64 Gold S/PDIF into my DAC. If I eventually put a NAS on my network, I suppose I can stream audio through this box as well.

Jan 19, 2007 at 2:30 PM Post #24 of 24
I am using a Gateway tower with an AMD Athlon 950MHz chip and 516MB of PC133 ram. I have two IDE 10GB hard drives too. So ya my setup is ghetto, but it works fine. Sometimes it slows down, I just wait for it, or reset the person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back