Out Of Your Head - new virtual surround simulator
Jun 3, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #693 of 1,284
Nice review by Eric Neff for Headphone Guru. Congrats Darin.

Thanks @esimms86.
Yes, I was very pleased to see that review.

Must be a good day for press for me. Today I was on the Home Theater Geeks show with Scott Wilkinson. He broadcast today's show live from THE Show Newport.

I was honored to be included on a show with people like Kevin Voecks, Andrew Jones, Mark Waldrep, and Owen Kwon.

Jun 10, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #694 of 1,284
Hi Darin,

I am getting addicted to few presets already in the trial version on my windows laptop. Can you let me know which preset did you use to convert 'Transformers' in your online demo, that would help me deciding on the presets to buy with the product.

Thanks.

Jun 10, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #695 of 1,284
  Hi Darin,

I am getting addicted to few presets already in the trial version on my windows laptop. Can you let me know which preset did you use to convert 'Transformers' in your online demo, that would help me deciding on the presets to buy with the product.

Thanks.

Hi @musiclover2015,
Glad you're enjoying Out Of Your Head.
The preset used on the Transformers clip was the Acoustic Zen preset.

FYI, in the online demo, the preset used is always printed in the lower left corner of the video.

-Darin

Jun 10, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #696 of 1,284
  Hi @musiclover2015,
Glad you're enjoying Out Of Your Head.
The preset used on the Transformers clip was the Acoustic Zen preset.

FYI, in the online demo, the preset used is always printed in the lower left corner of the video.

-Darin

Great, I thought so, that's my fav preset so far with 'Magical Speakers' right behind it. And which one of presets comes free with purchase of OOYH ?

Jun 11, 2016 at 5:08 AM Post #697 of 1,284

Great, I thought so, that's my fav preset so far with 'Magical Speakers' right behind it. And which one of presets comes free with purchase of OOYH ?

When you purchase an "Out Of Your Head License with one preset", you have the choice of any of the presets to include in your license.

That's why we recommend listening to all the presets in trial mode so you can decide which preset you want to include with your license.

The only different option is the Out Of Your Head "Gamer License". That one you do not have a choice of presets. 

Jun 11, 2016 at 5:40 AM Post #698 of 1,284
  When you purchase an "Out Of Your Head License with one preset", you have the choice of any of the presets to include in your license.

That's why we recommend listening to all the presets in trial mode so you can decide which preset you want to include with your license.

The only different option is the Out Of Your Head "Gamer License". That one you do not have a choice of presets. 

Wow..That's cherry on the cake with a free preset of user's choice. Can you please name the presets used in Videos Demos, as most of the demos are not named. Also, did you use 5.1 Videos to convert with presets or regular sounding videos ? 

Jun 29, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #699 of 1,284
The Realizer is basically a microprocessor in a box (probably a Linux box) running software programs. And the processor is at least 8 years old, given when the Realizer was first introduced.

It's not unfair to ask if similar or better results can be obtained by running an equally capable software program on any of our extremely capable contemporary personal computers many of which have 6th generation i7 Haswell processors, and which can be purchased for thousands less than a Realizer.

An added benefit is one fewer box in the listening area.

Jul 2, 2016 at 6:51 AM Post #700 of 1,284
Don't think you're quite right in regards to the a8. Most likely using sharc dsp boards (possibly several in parallel) to get to do the convolution of these long prirs on so many channels in real time. The A16 seems even more powerful.

This does not make OOYH any less brilliant (esp. since it got better with the lag) but I think you may be optimistic in re. to how much processing power these linux boxes have.

Another key thing of the realiser is that it's actually needed to get prirs... The virtualisations coming with OOYH all came from gues what ... an A8 realiser optical out...

Arnaud

Jul 17, 2016 at 12:46 AM Post #701 of 1,284
I wish this was well made but, unfortunately, as it is usual with this kind of thing, it's made from amateurs - who of course thought they'd charge a premium price.

Unsigned drivers, amateurish control panel, terrible reaction time, unmeasured lag. You get installation issues on most of newer machines with W8+, a lot of hassle, obligatory restarts, glitches -  I just don't want to deal with any of that. If I wanted the hassle, I'd still be using a virtual audio cable and a bunch of VST plugins into an ASIO host - which at least work reliably and are configurable: even if you overcome the issues, OOYH allows zero configuration and defaults with an unbearable and unrealistic (unless you're trying to simulate a theatre) amount of echo.

And to anyone comparing this to the realiser - you're out of your element. Both from the electronics as well as listening perspective. The realiser uses a custom FPGA that does things that simply cannot (as of yet) be done in software from general purpose processors, regardless of how powerful they are. And comparing the listening experience of a device that takes into consideration your personal head and ear shapes by measuring with miniature microphones to be placed into your ears, as well as your head's position in space in real time, is just silly.
Claiming to be capable to reproduce the speakers mentioned in the control panel is misleading without taking in consideration the exact headphone in use (ever wondered why smyth only bundles stax 2170s?) AND the specific users' head and ear shapes is misleading. Knowledgeable users will know it's not possible to emulate those speakers but most people will think they're getting something they're not. I have no doubt they are doing the measurements with the speakers mentioned, but the end result just cannot be called an emulation of them.

I was really hoping to find a feasible software solution for my secondary machines but I guess I'll just buy more xonar sound cards, that at least have a resale value (and will generally improve audio quality and I/Os) as with any of them, even basic $40 ones, you get dolby virtual speaker - which is at least as good as any of the all in one software solutions available, and not so far from a full ASIO software processing stack. I suggest everyone looking for a better headphone experience do the same.

By the way, I like how they like to say "one speaker preset free". Free my arse, you pay $150 for it. The word you're looking for is included. It should actually say "ONLY ONE SPEAKER PRESET INCLUDED". It's unfortunate that this kind of marketing is allowed in the US.

Jul 17, 2016 at 1:08 AM Post #702 of 1,284
Darin is a pretty cool dude in person, I would bot throw the stone at him like this. Afaik, he's using a realiser to get both prir and hpeq effects and recovers impulse response from the digital for use in his "realtime" convolution engine.

In my case, it may seem silly but I actually own a few prirs and hpeq (including 5.1 and 7.1 done at AIX studios) but no realiser. I am using OOYH (very very rarely though, I just always watch movies from iphone these days...) with my prir and hpeq (Darin converted them to his filter bank).

Cheers,
Arnaud

Jul 17, 2016 at 1:59 AM Post #703 of 1,284
Yeah well, I'm sorry but I tell it like it is, regardless of how cool a dude the owner might be in person.

The end result you get from any audio card with dolby virtual speaker is more realistic, at least a bit configurable and doesn't create problems with your OS. And you get an audio card in the process.

When I listened to the realiser I was BLOWN AWAY. This... this is just an overpriced gimmick.

Jul 17, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #704 of 1,284
  Yeah well, I'm sorry but I tell it like it is for me, regardless of how cool a dude the owner might be in person.

The end result you get from any audio card with dolby virtual speaker is more realistic, at least a bit configurable and doesn't create problems with your OS. And you get an audio card in the process.

When I listened to the realiser I was BLOWN AWAY. This... this is just an overpriced gimmick.

Corrected that for you.

Personally - I love it.  Hardly any glitches, and when it occasionally clips, it's usually just a small tweak.  There is a low latency gaming solution which is just brilliant.  I've got rid of the sound card I have now and rely only on OOYH for gaming. Also enjoying the speaker presets for listening.

Its a reasonably low cost and very effective solution for my needs - and especially since the Realiser is out of my budget.

My only issue with it is that there isn't a Linux solution (I switched back from Windows about 3 months go).  If it worked in Linux I'd be extremely happy.

Great programme IMO - and worth the money I paid.

Jul 17, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #705 of 1,284
Thanks for your honest comments,@SetiroN. I really appreciate it. I believe all feedback is helpful. It will push us to improve.
And thanks for your kind responses, @arnaud and @Brooko.

I know I've said this before in this thread, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. I respect that. 
I also know that Out Of Your Head is far from perfect and I never expected everyone to like it. It's not for everyone, just like most audio gear. In fact, I completely understand that people would prefer straight headphone listening and not like Out Of Your Head. That's fine.

I did just want to mention one thing. The Out Of Your Head drivers are signed for both Windows and Mac OS X. When the driver is installed, you should see that the driver is signed. You can also check the driver properties:

Maybe you are talking about something else that is not signed?

Anyway, no worries.

The great thing about Out Of Your Head is that people can try it for themselves any time. No need to find a retailer or go to a meet, or rely on other people's impressions, etc.

Just download the trial or listen to our online demo with no need to install any software.

Then if you don't like it, no problem. If you do like it, great.

Since Out Of Your Head will work better for some and worse for others, all I ask is that anyone listen for themselves with their gear and decide for themselves.

-Darin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back