Out Of Your Head - new virtual surround simulator
Feb 12, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #632 of 1,284
  I'm trying to download the latest version of OOYH but it's requiring a user name and password. ??

Did you use the trial download page on our website and then did you receive an e-mail with the download link?

If you e-mail me at "info at fongaudio.com" with your e-mail address, I can check to see if you download link works.

Feb 12, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #633 of 1,284
Darin, thanks for the quick response and email.

I am trying to figure out how to use this.

Should I have my windows playback device set out to my typical default, or OOYH?

I opened the program, and I select my spdif as the output and 7.1 game as input.

I hear a lot of noise for some reason. I can adjust for this in the windows slider for OOYH, but if I turn my amps knob up high enough, I still hear the static.

More importantly, I cannot get any sound to play. What may I be doing wrong?

Feb 13, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #634 of 1,284
  Darin, thanks for the quick response and email.

I am trying to figure out how to use this.

Should I have my windows playback device set out to my typical default, or OOYH?

I opened the program, and I select my spdif as the output and 7.1 game as input.

I hear a lot of noise for some reason. I can adjust for this in the windows slider for OOYH, but if I turn my amps knob up high enough, I still hear the static.

More importantly, I cannot get any sound to play. What may I be doing wrong?

Sorry about the problems.

1. First, exit Out Of Your Head.
  2. Then set your Windows default playback device to your preferred output device.
  3. Then launch Out Of Your Head.
  4. When launched Out Of Your Head will automatically switch your Windows default playback device to the Out Of Your Head Virtual Audio device. You do not have to switch it yourself.
  5. Then in the Out Of Your Head Control Panel, on the right column, click on your preferred output device.
  6. From there, any audio being played from any app should play back through Out Of Your Head and then out to your actual audio output device. (As long as the app is set to output via Direct Sound's default audio device.)

To test, rather than starting with a game, just try playing a YouTube video or iTunes, etc. just to see if it works.

Then for a game, you want to make sure your game is outputting no higher than 7.1 at 48kHz/32bit audio per channel (not likely).

Also, Out Of Your Head outputs two channels at 48kHz/24bit (or 32bit). I assume your DAC can accept that data rate. Or set your DAC up to accept that rate.

Let me know if you still have problems getting it to work.

Feb 13, 2016 at 12:22 AM Post #635 of 1,284
I also forgot to mention that when you quit Out Of Your Head, it will attempt to switch your Windows default playback device back to which ever device you had set before you launched Out Of Your Head.
Basically it tries to put things back where they were so you shouldn't have to worry about which audio device is set to default in Windows.

Feb 13, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #636 of 1,284
I did as you said, and it does not work. The DAC certainly does support 24bit; I also made sure that OOYH was set to output 24bit as opposed to 32 bit.

When I try to play anything, the background static sound amplified to a loud static sound.

This is my audio setup: PC>internal sound card optical out> Schiit dac > schiit amp> headphones.

Does this program only work with usb dacs?

Feb 13, 2016 at 12:56 AM Post #637 of 1,284
  Yes, sometimes changes to your system can change your UUID value in Out Of Your Head.

Please e-mail us your new UUID from the e-mail address you used to make your original purchase.

To get your UUID:
  1. Launch Out Of Your Head
  2. In the Out Of Your Head Control Panel, double click on any unlicensed preset.
  3. In the pop-up Purchase License window, copy your UUDI value.
  4. Past that value into an e-mail to "info at fongaudio.com".

Once I receive that, I can look up your order and e-mail you a new license file.

Thanks,
Darin

Email sent.  Thanks!

Feb 13, 2016 at 1:06 AM Post #638 of 1,284
  I did as you said, and it does not work. The DAC certainly does support 24bit; I also made sure that OOYH was set to output 24bit as opposed to 32 bit.

When I try to play anything, the background static sound amplified to a loud static sound.

This is my audio setup: PC>internal sound card optical out> Schiit amp > schiit dac > headphones.

Does this program only work with usb dacs?

Hmm. OK. That setup should work, but I have not tried using an optical output. But it should work. 

When Out Of Your Head is launched, and you select your output device, so you see an small numbers cycling in the lower left corner of the Out Of Your Head Control Panel?

If you don't see an numbers cycling, then Out Of Your Head is not finding or initializing the sound card.

If you do see numbers cycling, are they hovering around a certain value or are they counting up higher and higher?

One other thing to try is to quit Out Of Your Head.
Plugin your headphones directly to the headphone jack of your computer.
Launch Out Of Your Head 
Select your sound card as the output device in the Out Of Your Head Control Panel.
Test to see if the numbers are cycling and see if you have any sound.

If that works, try switching from the built-in headphone output to the optical output in the Out Of Your Head Control panel. Sometimes just switching between output devices can "reset" the output and get the audio working.

Let me know how it goes.

-Darin

Feb 13, 2016 at 1:43 AM Post #639 of 1,284
Thanks Darin, all working again great now, much improved since 1.1f.  I'm reinstalling Diablo 3 to give gaming a try with my Ether C

Feb 13, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #641 of 1,284
  Hi Darin,

I have tried everything that you stated, and nothing works.

There are numbers cycling in the lower left hand corner of the program. They cycle between "2" and "3".

When you play audio from an app, do you see the green audio level meters in the Out Of Your Head registering sound?

You tried plugging your headphones directly into the computer's headphone jack and selecting the analog output from your sound card in the Out Of Your Head control panel? And you still did not get any sound from the built-in analog headphone output?

If you don't see audio levels, then somehow the sound from the app is not getting to the Out Of Your Head Virtual Audio Device. Can you make sure that while Out Of Your Head is running, the Out Of Your Head Virtual Audio Device is set as the default playback device in the Windows Sound/Playback Devices?

Whenever the numbers are cycling and hovering around a value, I have found that always means Out Of Your Head is working and I always get sound from the output of Out Of Your Head.

If you like, I would be happy to schedule a remote control session so I can get Out Of Your Head working. 

-Darin

Feb 13, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #642 of 1,284

This is my audio setup: PC>internal sound card optical out> Schiit dac > schiit amp> headphones.

Just curious, does your Schiit DAC have USB? I assume it doesn't and that's why you are using the optical output of your internal sound card.

But if it does have USB, have you tried that?

Feb 13, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #643 of 1,284
No, I do not have USB on my DAC. Just a plain bifrost uber.

Even with headphones plugged directly into the soundcard, it is still a no-go.

n all circumstances, there is a clear indication that audio is in fact playing, indicated by the indicators in the program and in windows. However, the sound is a very loud white noise. as soon as I hit pause n a video, the noise stops, and the level indicators go to 0.

So there  definite communication, it is just that it comes out all jumbled up as noise.

Feb 13, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #644 of 1,284
  No, I do not have USB on my DAC. Just a plain bifrost uber.

Even with headphones plugged directly into the soundcard, it is still a no-go.

n all circumstances, there is a clear indication that audio is in fact playing, indicated by the indicators in the program and in windows. However, the sound is a very loud white noise. as soon as I hit pause n a video, the noise stops, and the level indicators go to 0.

So there  definite communication, it is just that it comes out all jumbled up as noise.

Oh, I see. That's useful information.

Can you make sure that the Out Of Your Head Virtual Audio Device is set to 48kHz/32bit? (I forgot that you mentioned you had set it to 24bit. It needs to be on 32bit. Sorry about missing that.)
Your optical output will still output at 24bit.

Let me know if that works.
-Darin

Feb 15, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #645 of 1,284
Hi,

i posted this earlier, but seems it was overlooked.

Using the Gaming profile (free trial) I noticed that the Lsb and Rsb channels are subjectively significantly louder than the rest of the channels when set to same levels and tested using the play button in the program. I had to lower their levels by 14dB compared to others to get subjectively the same loudness. I first noticed this in the game where things behind me sounded louder than in front of me.
Could this be a specific problem in my setup or are others noticing this as well? I didn't notice this problem with other presets.

Also, is there a way to lunch the OOYH process with high priority by default? I wanted to use an argument in the desktop shortcut, but its not a typical shortcut and I can't edit it.

If I buy the gamer license now, will I be able to transfer it to a new PC later?

Thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back