Out Of Your Head - new virtual surround simulator
Jan 24, 2016 at 4:56 AM Post #616 of 1,284

This sounds promising

Hi Volly,
have you not tried the software yet? There's a free trial where you can get to try all the speaker presets. If you do the trial and you can only afford the 1 free preset take my advice and spend lots of time making sure you get the right choice. Some are better for Movies some are better for Vinyl some are better for Rock some are better for Classical for instance 

Jan 24, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #617 of 1,284
  Hi Volly,
have you not tried the software yet? There's a free trial where you can get to try all the speaker presets. If you do the trial and you can only afford the 1 free preset take my advice and spend lots of time making sure you get the right choice. Some are better for Movies some are better for Vinyl some are better for Rock some are better for Classical for instance 

Yeah, I'm interested in the trial, but I read that the sound cuts out after 2 minutes of play?!

Jan 24, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #618 of 1,284
Yeah, I'm interested in the trial, but I read that the sound cuts out after 2 minutes of play?!

Yes, that's true. In trial mode, you can listen to any of the presets for two minutes at a time.

If you change presets before two minutes is up, then the audio output will not be interrupted. The two minute timer is reset everytime you switch presets. So you can listen as long as you want if you switch presets every two minutes.

With the gamer preset, you can initiate a one time 7 day trial. This way you can try the gamer preset for 7 days without worrying about the two minute timer.

-Darin

Jan 26, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #619 of 1,284
Daren, are you aware of this problem with Razer Surround: http://www.head-fi.org/t/796284/razer-surround-sound-permanently-prevents-proper-installs-of-other-surround-sound-programs#post_12287717

It's a very popular free gaming surround sound program that I imagine many users who might be interested in the OOYH gaming preset might have installed already...which can be problematic, as per in the linked thread.

The fix I found is annoying because it requires Razer Surround to be left installed and running, even if I'd rather only use OOYH :/

Jan 26, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #620 of 1,284
Daren, are you aware of this problem with Razer Surround: http://www.head-fi.org/t/796284/razer-surround-sound-permanently-prevents-proper-installs-of-other-surround-sound-programs#post_12287717

It's a very popular free gaming surround sound program that I imagine many users who might be interested in the OOYH gaming preset might have installed already...which can be problematic, as per in the linked thread.

The fix I found is annoying because it requires Razer Surround to be left installed and running, even if I'd rather only use OOYH :/

Hi @dmbr ,
Thanks for the heads up.
I will try installing Razer and see if I can figure out what's happening.

I'll post anything I find in the other thread you started:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/796284/razer-surround-sound-permanently-prevents-proper-installs-of-other-surround-sound-programs

-Darin

Jan 26, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #621 of 1,284
I found a workaround for rendering OOYH with music files. I used an Analogue to Digital Converter and fed it with my Chord Mojo with the OOYH software playing and recorded the signal using Audacity through my Macbook. Worked a treat. So now I can listen to OOYH on my phone or my DAP when I'm out and about 

Jan 26, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #622 of 1,284
  Anyone got Prerendered files recorded using elcapitan yet? I can't seem to get them to work. Soundflower won't install properly.....

I found a workaround for rendering OOYH with music files. I used an Analogue to Digital Converter and fed it with my Chord Mojo with the OOYH software playing and recorded the signal using Audacity through my Macbook. Worked a treat. So now I can listen to OOYH on my phone or my DAP when I'm out and about 

I know your work around will work, but you are going from digital to analog and back.

I have not tried installing SoundFlower in El Capitan yet, but I did find this thread about how to do it.
https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/solved-soundflower-and-osx-10-11-el-capitan.37388/

I will have to give a a try to see if it works.
-Darin

Jan 31, 2016 at 5:48 AM Post #623 of 1,284
Hi all,

my experience with the gaming present in the 1293 version: 
I have an old and low end PC by today's standards: Its a Core 2 Duo @ 3Ghz, 4gb ram and gtx460 running Win7 64bit.
Using OOYH and my favorite game resulted in constant cracks and interruptions in sound.

However, once I set the OOYH process priority to high in task manager, I got uninterrupted and perfect sound, no cracks or anything.
This could help others here as well that get degraded sound when performing CPU heavy tasks.

The gaming experience itself is quite good for me. I get good spacial recognition, can pinpoint the source of the sounds and its great to hear how the whole soundscape rotates why I move around and rotate. I only tried Titanfall, but I would expect similar experience in any game that has surround sound.

@Darin,
1. Using the Gaming profile (free trial) I noticed that the Lsb and Rsb channels are subjectively significantly louder than the rest of the channels when set to same levels and tested using the play button in the program. I had to lower their levels by 14dB compared to others to get subjectively the same loudness. I first noticed this in the game where things behind me sounded louder than in front of me.
Could this be a specific problem in my setup or are others noticing this as well? I didn't notice this problem with other presets.

2. Also, is there a way to lunch the OOYH process with high priority by default? I wanted to use an argument in the desktop shortcut, but its not a typical shortcut and I can't edit it.

3. I recorded an audio of a movie using audacity as you described earlier in this thread. After aligning the recording with the original soundtrack (to remove the delay until I clicked play) the beginning of the movie was aligned but towards end, there was a 1 second delay (the OOYH recorded track was longer by 1 sec). I noticed then that the stereo mix device was set to 41Khz. I will set it to 48Khz and try again tomorrow to see if the same happens.
Edit: it was the mismatch in the sampling rate. If anyone else is recording the output of OOYH I recommend to check the recording device settings.

4. Nonetheless, the recorded audio included a lot of "computer" noise as I think it does digital to analog to digital conversion in my crappy integrated sound card. Is there a way to record using wasapi interface in audacity? I cant get it to work: I select speakers as output device in OOYH; in Audacity I select wasapi and speakers (loopback) as recording device. However, I am not able to start recording, as Audacity says the recording device is already in use... If I start recording and then start OOYH, I am not able to select speakers as output, as it says its already in use. Audacity manual on their site does not mention this problem. Any advice?
Edit: I used a software audio cable (VBCable) and was able to record without the noise.

To buy OOYH a good quality recording of the audio is a must for me as I intend to mix it back to the video and watch on the go, or at nights in the living room where I don't have a PC.
Edit: it seems I achieved good quality. I am yet to watch the full movie, but I'm sure it will be great.

If I buy the gamer license now, will I be able to transfer it to a new PC later?

Thank you

Feb 12, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #624 of 1,284
How exactly does this work for gaming? How would anyone compare this, to simply just using SBX?

In this case, does OOYH have to be used alongside a 3d virtualizer like SBX?

Any comments or experiences?

I currently use a sound blaster z to send virtual 5.1 through optical out,into my schiit DAC/amp, and out my hd800s.
Can I expect any improvements in virtual surround sound?

Also, how do some of you audiophile purists perceive this emulation? Do you prefer it over non-altered sound?

Feb 12, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #625 of 1,284
I've been using it for both music and gaming for the last 6 months (maybe longer).  I've now given my soundcard to my son, and just use OOYH with the gaming preset - using the iFi Micro iDSD.  Don't miss the soundcard at all.  OOYH is brilliant - imersive, gives good positional cues, and with my machine there is virtually no latency.  I find it brilliant.

Feb 12, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #626 of 1,284
  How exactly does this work for gaming? How would anyone compare this, to simply just using SBX?

In this case, does OOYH have to be used alongside a 3d virtualizer like SBX?

Any comments or experiences?

I currently use a sound blaster z to send virtual 5.1 through optical out,into my schiit DAC, and out my hd800s.
Can I expect any improvements in virtual surround sound?

Also, how do some of you audiophile purists perceive this emulation? Do you prefer it over non-altered sound?

Hi @bigbeard 

Now that the Out Of Your Head engine is low latency, people have found it works well with gaming. There is still some latency depending on the system, but it's much lower than the previous versions. 
There is a gaming preset available too. The cost is only $25. And it can be used for gaming, movies, music, etc. However, if you want to use any of the other presets, you will have to purchase the full version of Out Of Your Head for $149 and it comes with one free preset.

I have not tried the Creative SBX Pro Studio sound processing. So maybe someone else can chime in about that.

But with regard to Out Of Your Head, generally, when using Out Of Your Head, you should disable all other audio processing software. Most other audio enhancements or virtualization software will conflict with the proper sound of Out Of Your Head. It can be like applying two binaural processes in a chain. (not good!) So, if you do try Out Of Your Head, please make sure all other audio processing or enhancements are disabled. It's not always easy to do that since most audio cards and motherboards come with audio enhancement software that gets installed. You may not even be aware of it until you try to run Out Of Your Head and it doesn't sound right.

As mentioned before, the main difference with Out Of Your Head and all other multi-channel virtualization software is that Out Of Your Head  is based on actual measurements of real speakers in real rooms. We are not synthesizing or computer generating an effect. We are playing back the measurements we make of the room and speakers. That is why we have the different speaker presets. With Out Of Your Head, you can clearly hear the differences in the rooms and speakers. We're not just applying EQ to make it sound kind of like a certain brand of speakers. 

I can't really comment on comparisons or whether it's better with or without Out Of Your Head. But Out Of Your Head is designed to give you the speaker listening experience with all the imaging/sound-stage and presence of a high end speaker system.

The beauty of software though is that you can try it for your self and do your own comparisons for free. It's not often in the audiophile world that you can compare products on your own system with your own ears.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks for posting.
-Darin

Feb 12, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #627 of 1,284
darinf, thank you for the input.

I did go to the website and entered my email to receive the code for a free trial, but it has been an hour and I have not seen it (not in my span folder either). Does it typically take some time?

Feb 12, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #628 of 1,284
  darinf, thank you for the input.

I did go to the website and entered my email to receive the code for a free trial, but it has been an hour and I have not seen it (not in my span folder either). Does it typically take some time?

No, the e-mail is sent out within seconds of submitting your information.

I was having problems with e-mail from my server getting rejected as spam by some e-mail servers.

Please e-mail me at "info at fongaudio.com" and I can send you the link directly.

Sorry about that.
-Darin

Feb 12, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #629 of 1,284
Darren,

I reset my motherboard bios and now the key are not working, what do I do to register again?

Thanks

Feb 12, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #630 of 1,284
Darren,

I reset my motherboard bios and now the key are not working, what do I do to register again?

Thanks

Yes, sometimes changes to your system can change your UUID value in Out Of Your Head.

Please e-mail us your new UUID from the e-mail address you used to make your original purchase.

To get your UUID:
  1. Launch Out Of Your Head
  2. In the Out Of Your Head Control Panel, double click on any unlicensed preset.
  3. In the pop-up Purchase License window, copy your UUDI value.
  4. Past that value into an e-mail to "info at fongaudio.com".

Once I receive that, I can look up your order and e-mail you a new license file.

Thanks,
Darin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back