Out Of Your Head - new virtual surround simulator
Dec 18, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #76 of 1,284
Darin,

While I'm definitely interested in OOYH and have downloaded the trial and played with it, I'm really curious about the timeline for the Mac version. If I was to purchase a license for OOYH now that I can use on the Bootcamp (Windows) side of my MacBook Pro Retina, will I also be able to use the Mac version on the OSX side when it's released? Or will I have to buy another license? I can't use both at the same time - I can only boot into OSX or BootCamp and would never dream of using VMs for testing this.

If I can buy a license now and use it on the OSX side when the Mac version is released, you probably have another sale.

Let me know.... thanks!

Dale

Dec 18, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #77 of 1,284
  Darin,

While I'm definitely interested in OOYH and have downloaded the trial and played with it, I'm really curious about the timeline for the Mac version. If I was to purchase a license for OOYH now that I can use on the Bootcamp (Windows) side of my MacBook Pro Retina, will I also be able to use the Mac version on the OSX side when it's released? Or will I have to buy another license? I can't use both at the same time - I can only boot into OSX or BootCamp and would never dream of using VMs for testing this.

If I can buy a license now and use it on the OSX side when the Mac version is released, you probably have another sale.

Let me know.... thanks!

Dale

Hi Dale,

The OSX version should have been done a long time ago...but you can only imagine what it's like trying to meet deadlines doing software development.

Now I am realistically thinking March 2014 by the time it's working and tested.

In the meantime, a couple of people have had success running Out Of Your Head on OS X in Boot Camp, Parallels, and VMWare Fusion. (VM's actually work OK.)

For any Mac users, since I am so late with the Mac version, I will issue you new licenses for free if you buy any Windows licenses now. I can't really "deactivate" the Windows licenses once they are issued, but that's OK. You will end up with both.

Also, just a reminder, when you purchase an Out Of Your Head license for the app, you only have to buy that once. The license is tied to your e-mail address, NOT you computer. So you only have to ever buy the software ($99 license) once regardless of platform. Then it's the speaker preset licenses that are tied to a specific computer. (Of course, there may be future version upgrade costs for major revisions.)

So if you buy any speaker preset licenses now, for Windows, I will issue you the equivalent Mac licenses for free when the OS X version is released.

I hope that makes sense. Let me know if you need further clarification.

-Darin

Dec 18, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #78 of 1,284
Also, just a reminder, when you purchase an Out Of Your Head license for the app, you only have to buy that once. The license is tied to your e-mail address, NOT you computer. So you only have to ever buy the software ($99 license) once regardless of platform. Then it's the speaker preset licenses that are tied to a specific computer. (Of course, there may be future version upgrade costs for major revisions.)

So if you buy any speaker preset licenses now, for Windows, I will issue you the equivalent Mac licenses for free when the OS X version is released.

I hope that makes sense. Let me know if you need further clarification.

-Darin

Ok, that's 'music to my ears'! I'll be purchasing OOYH shortly and will look forward to the Mac version. Thanks for the very prompt response.

Dale

Dec 18, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #79 of 1,284
One more question: have you had any thought about a bundle price for all current presets, or even a lifetime subscription model that included future presets? While I suspect I'll settle in to three or four presets after using them for a while, I find it really difficult to 'sit back, relax and just listen with my eyes closed' when I have to change presets back and forth every two minutes.

If a bundle for all presets was available at a fair savings, I'd definitely consider that also.

Dale

Dec 18, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #80 of 1,284
  One more question: have you had any thought about a bundle price for all current presets, or even a lifetime subscription model that included future presets? While I suspect I'll settle in to three or four presets after using them for a while, I find it really difficult to 'sit back, relax and just listen with my eyes closed' when I have to change presets back and forth every two minutes.

If a bundle for all presets was available at a fair savings, I'd definitely consider that also.

Dale

Hi Dale,

Yes, I have thought about it, but I never thought that anyone would want all the presets. Some are bound to either not work well or not sound good to any given person. For audiophiles, maybe they would want a lot of presets, but they would also be the most picky about the sound working with their ears. Then for the average person who just wants good surround sound for watching movies, I figured they wouldn't care much about the different presets.

Let me think about that in terms of price. It's not hard to offer that as an option on my store. At full price, all the presets add up to $455.

-Darin

Dec 19, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #81 of 1,284
Dale, 

I'm running OOYH on Parallels and it pretty much just feels like a Mac app. What's cool about running it via a VM (besides being able to keep working on Mac) is that it was easy to access my iTunes library. Also, I can route it through Pure Music on the Mac side. That smooths out some of the digital harshness, adds plugins (EQ),  and handles the upsampling. I love it and will hopefully hold me till March. 

Edwardsean

Dec 19, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #82 of 1,284
Hmmm, well I assumed we would want the full horsepower of the PC so I chose BootCamp when I purchased OOYH. I might have to do the trial version on a VM and see if I get similar results. If so, I guess I'll be asking Darin to transfer my license to the VM. I spend about 80% of my time on the Mac side, and only 20% on Windows, so running it as a VM might be the better way to go. We'll see...

Dale

Dec 19, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #83 of 1,284
  Hmmm, well I assumed we would want the full horsepower of the PC so I chose BootCamp when I purchased OOYH. I might have to do the trial version on a VM and see if I get similar results. If so, I guess I'll be asking Darin to transfer my license to the VM. I spend about 80% of my time on the Mac side, and only 20% on Windows, so running it as a VM might be the better way to go. We'll see...

Dale

No problem to issue you new licenses. Just e-mail me your UUID from within the Out Of Your Head control panel.

I personally have had better luck with USB DAC support in VMWare Fusion over Parallels, but they both work well with the built-in Mac audio. 

Also, for movies, a virtual machine might have trouble decoding say a 1080p H.264 movie file. The audio can have some glitches.  I have not tried watching an actual DVD on a VM on my Macbook.

Music playback works well.

Dec 19, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #84 of 1,284
I will never buy it because you are overzealous with the DRM. Tying it to both my email address (which may change) and my hardware, which changes often, is unacceptable. Go read up about the backlash against game publishers that tried this sort of DRM, it isn't a petty picture.

"The Out Of Your Head speaker presets are associated with your computer’s unique ID. If you get a new computer or change a major component of your system like a hard drive or motherboard, etc. then your computer’s unique ID will change."

Oh, and the fact you want my email address and *full name* just to try a demo is very nosy. Added to my do not trust list along with NSA and Obama. :)

Dec 19, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #85 of 1,284
  "The Out Of Your Head speaker presets are associated with your computer’s unique ID. If you get a new computer or change a major component of your system like a hard drive or motherboard, etc. then your computer’s unique ID will change."

As others can attest to, all you have to do is e-mail me and I can issue you a new license for a new computer, new e-mail address, etc. I am a reasonable person. It's a very simple process. It's really just a deterrent to discourage people from stealing my software. For people who actually buy it, you won't have a problem.

You don't have to use your main e-mail address. I am not the first person to ask for an e-mail address. I think that's pretty common these days. For the trial, you just need a working e-mail address. You don't have to use your real name if you don't want to.

But just like everyone else, when you purchase something, you do have to use your real identity. That's more for the credit card company or PayPal, etc.

Dec 20, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #86 of 1,284
I did download the demo and didn't use my real name but you shouldn't be asking for it anyway is my point. Having to email and ask for a new license every time I change hardware is not acceptable, sorry. I doubt I will even bother installing the demo now because I will never buy it with those license restrictions. I've been annoyed by DRM in games one too many times so now I vote with my wallet against it. IMO, you will sell more by trusting people than not trusting them. A sale lost to piracy is not a lost sale because the pirate would never have bought it anyway. My $0.02.

DRM tied to a computer hardware config is the worst possible kind of DRM there is. Simple serial code not good enough for you?

Dec 20, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #87 of 1,284
  I did download the demo and didn't use my real name but you shouldn't be asking for it anyway is my point. Having to email and ask for a new license every time I change hardware is not acceptable, sorry. I doubt I will even bother installing the demo now because I will never buy it with those license restrictions. I've been annoyed by DRM in games one too many times so now I vote with my wallet against it. IMO, you will sell more by trusting people than not trusting them. A sale lost to piracy is not a lost sale because the pirate would never have bought it anyway. My $0.02.

DRM tied to a computer hardware config is the worst possible kind of DRM there is. Simple serial code not good enough for you?

Why shouldn't he ask for your name?  He is a private developer of software and wants to know who is using it.  He is fully within his rights to do that.  There is no right to anonymity.  If you want to move through life without anyone knowing who you are, then you have to be willing to make the sacrifices to do so.  It is ludicrous to demand that all companies bow to what you think is acceptable just because you have hardware ADD and are too lazy to send a simple email to get a new license.  Funny you chastise him for not trusting people when you are freaking out over him asking what your name was.

As for piracy, it isn't the people who will never buy that is the issue, it is the people in the middle - the people who, given the choice, would take "free" over paying for something if the serials or exploits aren't hard to deal with.  Why buy from iTunes when you can just google for an mp3?  There are a lot of those people.  Those are potential sales that DRM and strict licensing are geared towards protecting.  In particular for small developers, this is a big deal.  In general, I dislike DRM because it restricts how freely I can use what I purchase, but I understand why it is there and do my best to accommodate it, since I am thankful people are making things that are worth buying.  Darin seems to be very understanding and is willing to personally deal with any issues that crop up.  That is something the big gaming companies will not do.

I try (and fail) to not interject like this, but the amount of lack of civility and understanding in your posts really bugged the crap out of me.

Dec 20, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #88 of 1,284
I bet you actually give your phone number to those stores that want it to sell to a telemarketing list when they ask for it. <roll eyes>

Lack of civility? I can hear 100 violins playing for you right now.

Yea, I am hostile to DRM because it has screwed me over and waster hours of my time. 

Dec 20, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #89 of 1,284
  I bet you actually give your phone number to those stores that want it to sell to a telemarketing list when they ask for it. <roll eyes>

Lack of civility? I can hear 100 violins playing for you right now.

Yea, I am hostile to DRM because it has screwed me over and waster hours of my time. 

If you could get over yourself and installed the demo, you could hear the 100 violins playing in surround sound off of some very nice speakers.

Dec 20, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #90 of 1,284
I don't use Windows so I've just given the demo dowloads a go using the onboard soundcard of a netbook and I have to say that this sounds really good!

I wonder if it would be possible to run it in wine under Linux and record the output for portable use?  Will have to give it a go when this "Christmas" Malarky is over...

Edit:  Or not.  Download link e-mail states you need 64 bit Windows
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back