out of curiousity, what is THE undisputed, best headphone?
Jan 28, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #61 of 96
I doubt everybody will agree on what's best. What sounds best to one seldom does to the other. Although price has a directly proportionate relationship to quality and performance 90% of the time; its no hard and fast rule.

HD650, GS 1000, W5000, R10, RS-1, K701, DT 880 to mention a few enjoy perhaps the largest fan following from amongst the dynamic headphones.

Jan 28, 2009 at 1:17 PM Post #63 of 96
Since it's not "best sounding", but just "best" so the price are must be taken nto account, it's undoubtely KSC-75, it's just unbelievable how much of a great sound can be had for $15 dollars.

Jan 28, 2009 at 1:20 PM Post #64 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But its not undisputed!
wink.gif

But probably the closest you'll get to undisputed.
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #67 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But probably the closest you'll get to undisputed.
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

But thats more because almost nobody here has heard em!

Jan 28, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #68 of 96
The undisputed best headphone? Any headphone that costs $69 US or less.

One can't really answer this question as one individual's headphone is another individual's sonic disaster.

The undisputed best headphone is what each individual prefers.

Jan 28, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #69 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But thats more because almost nobody here has heard em!

I *have* heard them.
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #70 of 96
There is, in fact, a dispute. Something can only be undisputed if nobody disputes it. No matter what answer anyone else happens to give, I will dispute their answer. Therefore, there is a dispute, and thus no undisputed answer will ever be possible. Not under my watch!

(Of course, anyone else can make this claim as well, so I'm just being silly here. But as I think about it, this is one of the things I love most about this hobby. There really never will be an answer to the "best" question that represents the universal truth for all observers. For example, I happen to own an HE90/HEV90 "Orpheus" system, and although it is truly world class in every way, it can definitely be improved upon.)

Jan 28, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #71 of 96
I bought my AD900s in 2006 for 245 Dollars, including 2 day express shipping from Japan.

2 years ago the AD900 were priced around 219 USD, but since then it has crept up to 279 USD online and over 300 USD in stores.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There isn't another phone for under $280 I'd rather have than the AD700. So in that price range, it's pretty clear for me.

Jan 28, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #72 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is, in fact, a dispute. Something can only be undisputed if nobody disputes it. No matter what answer anyone else happens to give, I will dispute their answer. Therefore, there is a dispute, and thus no undisputed answer will ever be possible. Not under my watch!

(Of course, anyone else can make this claim as well, so I'm just being silly here. But as I think about it, this is one of the things I love most about this hobby. There really never will be an answer to the "best" question that represents the universal truth for all observers. For example, I happen to own an HE90/HEV90 "Orpheus" system, and although it is truly world class in every way, it can definitely be improved upon.)

I never knew you had one, say hi to it for me! And tell him that I think its a beauty.

Jan 28, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #73 of 96
^ Exactly!
..and some, who love open electrostatics don't rank the HE90 above ex. the SR-007.

Jan 28, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #74 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Exactly!
..and some, who love open electrostatics don't rank the HE90 above ex. the SR-007.

Ok, while I respect your opinion, it's simply WRONG!!!
icon10.gif
popcorn.gif

Unless, of course, the "some" you refer to are people other than yourself. If you're just reporting about the impression you've read from others, that's fine. But dude, you're a star Head-Fi'er! You should KNOW that the HE90's are (if not the "best") at least "better" than the Omega II's!!!
icon10.gif

Jan 28, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #75 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, while I respect your opinion, it's simply WRONG!!!
icon10.gif
popcorn.gif

Unless, of course, the "some" you refer to are people other than yourself. If you're just reporting about the impression you've read from others, that's fine. But dude, you're a star Head-Fi'er! You should KNOW that the HE90's are (if not the "best") at least "better" than the Omega II's!!!
icon10.gif

Originally Posted by tfarney:
If anything is true of the Audiophile Mentality, not just here, not just headphones, it is that it is often driven by the desire to purchase something and then the desire to justify that purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back