OUT NOW: Shanling UP - A Hi-Res, MFI-Certified, USB-C, MINI-DAC/AMP with ES9018K2M + MAX97220A
Jan 21, 2017 at 2:57 AM Post #136 of 221
Well, I didn't try out every app, lol :p

The ones I tried out "just worked", though. I've moved on to Android for my daily driver. I just keep the old iPhone around to measure IEM with my Dayton IMM06 + AudioTools and Spectrum Analyzer apps. If you give me some apps to try out, I'll certainly see if I can get them to work with iPhone + UP - as long as I don't have to shell out cash :wink:

Oh snap, I'm helping beta test for oneplus, and the latest beta put the smackdown on using not only UP but also for my Opus #11. UP still works, but only with UAPP. Opus #11 won't even work with UAPP now. Sucks to be on the bleeding edge sometimes :p

On my iPhone, both UP and Opus #11 work just fine with both Hiby and Google Play Music.

This isn't an extensive comparison, but which do I prefer and why?

For reference, I listened with the new Brainwavz B200 dual-BA IEM.

Size is a no-brainer. UP is much smaller, and thus more portable. Not that Opus #11 is large. It isn't. It's just that UP is tiny.

UP is MFI-certified and includes the cable you need to connect to your iPhone, whereas Opus #11 requires CCK. I know which I prefer :wink:

Volume matching wasn't perfect because these two DACs have quite different volume curves. UP is silent with the first two volume steps and is at a reasonable listening volume with these IEM at around 5 to 7 steps. Beyond that, UP gets really loud really fast. Opus #11 is audible at all volume steps and is at a reasonable listening volume at around 5 to 8 steps. After that it gets too loud, just not as fast. I prefer the approach taken with Opus #11. I can find the right volume for these IEM pretty easily. With UP, I feel like it's either just a bit too quiet or just a bit too loud. I'd suggest Shanling look into adjusting the volume curve. This can be mitigated by using an app like KaiserTone on iOS or UAPP on Android, which make fine-tuning the volume easy. However, this won't help with streaming...

Regarding sound, I'm liking UP better. It has that full, smooth Shanling house sound I love. Full bass with good impact. Warm mids. Smooth treble. Good spatial cues. Opus #11 sounds more neutral and a bit thin in comparison, and the spatial cues don't seem to be quite as good.

Overall neither is perfect, but this is a tough niche to fill. I really need the ability to fine-tune the volume because I switch between different IEM and headphones often, so even though I prefer the sound coming from UP I'm drawn to Opus #11 for it's less aggressive volume curve, which would allow me to use streaming apps which typically don't allow finer-grained volume control than the OS. However once streaming apps are removed from the equation, I'd easily choose UP for my preferred sound signature plus it's tiny size because I'd just use KaiserTone or UAPP and have very granular volume control.

The elephant in the room is that Opus #11 has an internal battery, whereas UP is powered via USB by your phone. I haven't used UP enough yet to get a good sense of how much battery drain it will cause. My gut tells me that Opus #11 will win in this regard, but again it's not something I've tested yet.

I hope that was helpful for people. I'll continue listening with various IEM and will also throw my Nighthawks in the mix and will comment more over time. Please feel free to ask questions as you have them, and I'll try to answer them in a reasonable time frame.

Jan 21, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #137 of 221
Oh snap, I'm helping beta test for oneplus, and the latest beta put the smackdown on using not only UP but also for my Opus #11. UP still works, but only with UAPP. Opus #11 won't even work with UAPP now. Sucks to be on the bleeding edge sometimes :p

On my iPhone, both UP and Opus #11 work just fine with both Hiby and Google Play Music.

This isn't an extensive comparison, but which do I prefer and why?

For reference, I listened with the new Brainwavz B200 dual-BA IEM.

Size is a no-brainer. UP is much smaller, and thus more portable. Not that Opus #11 is large. It isn't. It's just that UP is tiny.

UP is MFI-certified and includes the cable you need to connect to your iPhone, whereas Opus #11 requires CCK. I know which I prefer :wink:

Volume matching wasn't perfect because these two DACs have quite different volume curves. UP is silent with the first two volume steps and is at a reasonable listening volume with these IEM at around 5 to 7 steps. Beyond that, UP gets really loud really fast. Opus #11 is audible at all volume steps and is at a reasonable listening volume at around 5 to 8 steps. After that it gets too loud, just not as fast. I prefer the approach taken with Opus #11. I can find the right volume for these IEM pretty easily. With UP, I feel like it's either just a bit too quiet or just a bit too loud. I'd suggest Shanling look into adjusting the volume curve. This can be mitigated by using an app like KaiserTone on iOS or UAPP on Android, which make fine-tuning the volume easy. However, this won't help with streaming...

Regarding sound, I'm liking UP better. It has that full, smooth Shanling house sound I love. Full bass with good impact. Warm mids. Smooth treble. Good spatial cues. Opus #11 sounds more neutral and a bit thin in comparison, and the spatial cues don't seem to be quite as good.

Overall neither is perfect, but this is a tough niche to fill. I really need the ability to fine-tune the volume because I switch between different IEM and headphones often, so even though I prefer the sound coming from UP I'm drawn to Opus #11 for it's less aggressive volume curve, which would allow me to use streaming apps which typically don't allow finer-grained volume control than the OS. However once streaming apps are removed from the equation, I'd easily choose UP for my preferred sound signature plus it's tiny size because I'd just use KaiserTone or UAPP and have very granular volume control.

The elephant in the room is that Opus #11 has an internal battery, whereas UP is powered via USB by your phone. I haven't used UP enough yet to get a good sense of how much battery drain it will cause. My gut tells me that Opus #11 will win in this regard, but again it's not something I've tested yet.

I hope that was helpful for people. I'll continue listening with various IEM and will also throw my Nighthawks in the mix and will comment more over time. Please feel free to ask questions as you have them, and I'll try to answer them in a reasonable time frame.
Do you consider this to be better than the Shanling M1?

Jan 21, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #138 of 221
Do you consider this to be better than the Shanling M1?

I loaned my M1 to a headfi buddy who loves across the country, so I can't directly compare. However from memory, I think it sounds better for my tastes. I'd need to hear them both side by side to say for certain and elaborate on the differences, though.

Jan 21, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #139 of 221
I loaned my M1 to a headfi buddy who loves across the country, so I can't directly compare. However from memory, I think it sounds better for my tastes. I'd need to hear them both side by side to say for certain and elaborate on the differences, though.
How would you describe the M1 signature from memory and how is the UP signature?

Jan 21, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #140 of 221
How would you describe the M1 signature from memory and how is the UP signature?

From memory, M1 bass is a bit rolled off, mids are neutral, highs are a bit grainy, soundstage is a bit constricted. It's good for the price and better than my phone, but it's not replacing my more expensive DAPs by any means. M1's real strength is its versatility. It can be used as a standalone DAP, as a Bluetooth receiver, and and a digital transport.

UP sounds warmer. Bass sounds extended and has good impact. Lower mids are warmer. Highs are smoother. Soundstage is more spacious.

So maybe it was a bad idea, but I not only sent out M1 but also M5 to different headfi buddies at the same time. If I had to guess from memory, I'd say UP reminds me more of M5 than M1.

Jan 21, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #141 of 221
From memory, M1 bass is a bit rolled off, mids are neutral, highs are a bit grainy, soundstage is a bit constricted. It's good for the price and better than my phone, but it's not replacing my more expensive DAPs by any means. M1's real strength is its versatility. It can be used as a standalone DAP, as a Bluetooth receiver, and and a digital transport.

UP sounds warmer. Bass sounds extended and has good impact. Lower mids are warmer. Highs are smoother. Soundstage is more spacious.

So maybe it was a bad idea, but I not only sent out M1 but also M5 to different headfi buddies at the same time. If I had to guess from memory, I'd say UP reminds me more of M5 than M1.
Thank you very much, I think the Up will fit me better

Jan 21, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #142 of 221
Thank you very much, I think the Up will fit me better

You're welcome. I'm glad that was helpful.

I saw just thinking that one hard DFR before. A buddy loaned his to me for a week or so. From memory, it also had a nice, full sound but the bass wasn't quite as prominent as UP with less impact and the mids were a bit on the dry side. Both have a smooth upper end. Seems like UP is a bit more on the fun side and DFR is more on the refined side. Again, this is all from memory so take it with a grain of salt...

I'm hoping I'll get a DFR in for comparison one of these days...

Jan 22, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #144 of 221
[quote name="nmatheis" url="/t/826902/out-now-shanling-up-a@nmatheis a question. Hiw would fiio e17k , opus#11 and shanling up compare? I'm looking to get one of them for my phone.

(i'll be using them to drive the flc8s)

Jan 24, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #146 of 221
Listening to Ruxpin's "We Became Ravens" album from the n5md label in FLAC with OnePlus 3 (UAPP) -> UP -> AudioQuest Nightowls. Good stuff. The n5md label brings back serious memories because they started out as a minidisc label releasing electronic music back in the early 2000's. I was hardcore into minidisc back then (collecting portable minidisc players like I now collect DAPs, lol) and purchased many minidisc albums from them. Of course they no longer release albums on minidisc, but they're still alive and kicking - releasing some darn good electronic music!

Jan 25, 2017 at 4:42 AM Post #148 of 221
I have a Samsung S7 paired with a Fiio X3II and using UAPP to hear 24bit FLAC and DSD files. It works fine especially using the UAPP parametric EQ, but it is not a "portable" set. Did anyone check if Samsung phones work with the Shanling UP? How does it compare with Dragonfly black or Fiio DACs? It is still not listed as a compatible device in the UAPP web site.

Jan 28, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #150 of 221
I have a Samsung S7 paired with a Fiio X3II and using UAPP to hear 24bit FLAC and DSD files. It works fine especially using the UAPP parametric EQ, but it is not a "portable" set. Did anyone check if Samsung phones work with the Shanling UP? How does it compare with Dragonfly black or Fiio DACs? It is still not listed as a compatible device in the UAPP web site.

It works with UAPP on my OnePlus 3, so it's imagine it would work fine with a Samsung phone.

Here's the setup I'm listening to while my boys are in "rest time": UAPP on OnePlus 3 -> UP -> Mystery IEM I just got in for testing yesterday.

Prolly should've cleared out my notifications before taking the pic, lol :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back