OUT NOW: Shanling UP - A Hi-Res, MFI-Certified, USB-C, MINI-DAC/AMP with ES9018K2M + MAX97220A
Jan 17, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #121 of 221
Hi so if paired with iPhone basically all app can work?
Can't wait to see your detailed review and compared to dragonfly :wink:

Well, I didn't try out every app, lol :p

The ones I tried out "just worked", though. I've moved on to Android for my daily driver. I just keep the old iPhone around to measure IEM with my Dayton IMM06 + AudioTools and Spectrum Analyzer apps. If you give me some apps to try out, I'll certainly see if I can get them to work with iPhone + UP - as long as I don't have to shell out cash :wink:

Jan 17, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #122 of 221
Well, I didn't try out every app, lol :p

The ones I tried out "just worked", though. I've moved on to Android for my daily driver. I just keep the old iPhone around to measure IEM with my Dayton IMM06 + AudioTools and Spectrum Analyzer apps. If you give me some apps to try out, I'll certainly see if I can get them to work with iPhone + UP - as long as I don't have to shell out cash :wink:

Oh sorry I thought plug and play with iphone means just like plugging earphone jack, the sound for sure will output from there no matter what is playing on iphone, for eg, after I plugged, I don't need to open any special app, i can hear immediately when I open Apple Music app, YouTube, Soprtify, Tidal, or even phone call (though no mic).
From your reply it seems not, meaning after plug to iphone, still need to open the UP app on iphone, and depends what other app the UP app support?

Jan 17, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #123 of 221
Oh sorry I thought plug and play with iphone means just like plugging earphone jack, the sound for sure will output from there no matter what is playing on iphone, for eg, after I plugged, I don't need to open any special app, i can hear immediately when I open Apple Music app, YouTube, Soprtify, Tidal, or even phone call (though no mic).
From your reply it seems not, meaning after plug to iphone, still need to open the UP app on iphone, and depends what other app the UP app support?

Nope. No UP app. I used Hiby Music to test hi-res files and Google Play to test streaming. Both worked out of the box. Easy-peasy!

Jan 18, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #127 of 221
Question about using this with iPhone:
Does the recommended app allow for equalization at the device level, so that adjustments can.be made in any audio app?

I could be wrong, but the last time I checked iOS didn't allow device-level equalization. You had to jailbreak to do that. Of course, things might've changed recently. Not sure, as I've switched to Android. Hiby does allow in-app EQ,though ...

Jan 19, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #130 of 221
I could be wrong, but the last time I checked iOS didn't allow device-level equalization. You had to jailbreak to do that. Of course, things might've changed recently. Not sure, as I've switched to Android. Hiby does allow in-app EQ,though ...

You are correct sir. EqualizerEverywhere is a great tweak if you're jailbroken. Completely seemless EQ for all device sounds and apps. I use mainly Spotify, Cloudbeats to stream my own files, and sometimes Hiby. No issues using USB DAC either- I use a HiFimeDIY 9018 mainly and sometimes my Dad's DF Black.

Jan 20, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #132 of 221
Is MQA compatibility something we might see with the UP? Thinking about picking up something mainly for work but might also see some time with my phone. The DragonFly Black has been leading the charge but the UP is an interesting alternative.

Jan 20, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #133 of 221
Can't wait to see your detailed review and compared to dragonfly
wink.gif

Heck, I'd like to see it compared to anything. Its price and features make it very interesting, but there haven't been any comments about how it sounds or how well it drives different headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back