Our Bird Flew Away Today :(
Jul 15, 2007 at 4:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Contrastique

Headphoneus Supremus
We have a falcon parakeet named Fidel and we had the door open to our terras and his cage as well. We always do that so he can fly through the house and come and sit with us.
My bf was sitting in the opening of the door and he came and sat on his head. Bart wanted to have him off his head so he held his finger in front of him and he flew onto my head. I also wanted to have him of my head (because of the poop-thingy) and held my finger in front of him. Normally he steps up but now he just flew away!
We saw him going over the roofs and one more time in the sky screaming his head off. And that was that. We went looking for him everytime we thought we hear him screaming but nada.
Now there is just an empty cage and a sad feeling. That bird is scared of everything so I hope some nice family found him. But I think he won't make it long out there.

Here's a pic of such bird. Not him cause don't have a pic at the computer at this moment.

Valkparkietcinnamonman.jpg

Jul 15, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #2 of 40
Take comfort in the fact that he's tame and not afraid of people. He may very well seek someone out since he has no idea of fending for himself. Someone will love and care for him. Sorry to hear he's gone though.

Jul 15, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #4 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Take comfort in the fact that he's tame and not afraid of people. He may very well seek someone out since he has no idea of fending for himself. Someone will love and care for him. Sorry to hear he's gone though.

Sorry to hear your cockatiel flew away; birds are unique pets. I lost a cockatoo due to ilness at age 7 and I miss her a lot. I loved waching her chase our great danes away. I got a conure this time and he's a real character.

If you get another in the future you may want to take it to the bird store or vet to get its wings clipped(monthly). They cut around 5 primary flight feathers so that when they try to fly they can only glide down at about a 45degree angle. They can't get too far and they have enough 'lift' so they don't hurt themselves.

Jul 15, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #5 of 40
I used to have one of those (we call them cockatiels here) and he flew away too. I was horsing around with our dog in our backyard and making too much noise for my Dad's taste. He opened the door to shout something and Frank flew out over his head. We had a female, Idgie, too, though, and knowing that Frank was fond of her we carted her around in her cage calling for him throughout the neighborhood. Believe it or not, we found him in a neighbor's backyard perched on a powerline and he chose love over freedom. Pretty crazy but it worked.

Your guy might find his way back to your house, right? I'd keep an eye out for him anyway. Good luck and sorry.

Jul 15, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #9 of 40
I had 2 birds in Manilla. One died, and I let the other one free. The next day he was found in the pool area being stalked by a cat. The grounds keeper saved him and took him home to his family. This was in an apartment complex.

You have a pretty good chance of your bird staying in the area and finding his way back to you. You can always try to put our some "Lost Bird Posters" with his picture and a reward.

Jul 15, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #12 of 40
That bird could scream like hell and drove me mad many times because of that. But besides that he was a sweet and real funny bird as well. I liked him a lot. I wish I could hear his screaming now so I could go and find him.
I didn't wanted his wings to be clipped so he could go wherever he liked. So I just hope he in a nice spot somewhere.
My bf is gonna hang up some posters tomorrow and see if that'll do any good.
I just hope he manages to stay away from the cats here in the neighbourhood. There are just so many of them walking around here freely.

Jul 15, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #13 of 40
My mother and step-father have a sun conure who is my sworn enemy. He likes to look at people for the sole purpose of yelling at them. I only wish he would fly away.

Jul 15, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #14 of 40
My daughter had a cockatiel like that one you posted a pic of. Was a mean little person and would try and bite anyone that came near him. He also was goofy as all get up. Would often see him hanging upside down in his cage.
blink.gif
My daughter finally got tired of him always biting and so gave it away to one of my nephews.

Hope you get yours back.

Jul 15, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #15 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My mother and step-father have a sun conure who is my sworn enemy. He likes to look at people for the sole purpose of yelling at them. I only wish he would fly away.

Anytime I bring someone over, I have to warn them not to stick their fingers in his cage or try to pet him. He's very protective of me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back