Our Bird Flew Away Today :(
Jul 16, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #32 of 40
frown.gif

Jul 16, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #33 of 40
This is sad news.

We have a cockatiel named Quasi that looks just like the one in the picture. We also have a Lovebird Kiwi, and two finches named Finch & Buzz.

I always fear about the fly-away problem with Quasi and Kiwi, but since I basically keep their wings clipped since they need attitude adjustments once they can fly soundly, they won't get too far.

Jul 16, 2007 at 5:14 PM Post #34 of 40
Thanx for the support everyone! We hung up posters today so it's just waiting for a response now...

Jul 16, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #35 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt_Carter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mysterious%20Ways%20Cat%20Bird's%20Seat.jpg

Here I thought Janet was the cats name in the photo with the cackatoo named Frank(that flew the coup), owned by Kelly; And now you tell me I've addressed ALL those prayers wrongly....
frown.gif

Indra, best of luck with the return of your Fidel
wink.gif

Jul 16, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #36 of 40
Indra, we had two parrots. They were being trained to say things
biggrin.gif
. They already said:

- Pretty bird
- Come here right now

Then one day they were gone, I guess either my wife or I left the door open while changing the water or putting new food.
mad.gif

Jul 16, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #37 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indra, we had two parrots. They were being trained to say things
biggrin.gif
. They already said:

- Pretty bird
- Come here right now

Then one day they were gone, I guess either my wife or I left the door open while changing the water or putting new food.
mad.gif

Sorry to hear about that. I hope they are fine.

We had someone at out door tonight, saying they had seen him in their mothers garden yesterday but they were too late too catch him.
I hope he is allright...

Jul 16, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #38 of 40
A few years ago I noticed a budgie sitting in a tree in the small parkette located on the lake near my house. Knowing it wouldn' last long in the wild, I picked up a cheap bird cage at a garage sale, filled it with bird seed, and hung it with it's door open from a branch of a tree in the parkette....leaving a note inside explaining to the curious, what i was attempting to do. I then checked the cage as often as I could, and sure enough, two days later I found the budgie sitting in the cage like it was his home. I closed the door, took it home, and gave it to a neighbour who had expressed interest in it. Perhaps if you could leave Fidel's cage outside in clear view, with food, up high to keep cats away, near your door where he left, he'll come back. Any bells, mirrors, toys, etc. in the cage blowing around in the wind, might attract his attention.

Also, and this may seem extreme, you could record any special whistles or words you or your bf have taught or attempted to teach Fidel, and play them loudly for a few minutes every hour or so outside near the cage. ( not often enough to annoy the neighbours of course ) If he's in the area, there's a good chance he'll respond and investigate.

Jul 17, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #39 of 40
That sounds like a good a plan as any to me. I never thought about it until reading this thread, since dad had a parakeet that flew away when he was a kid as well. I was thinking how weird that was because his parents were very anal about animals in the house, and my granddad had no huge regard for birds. I wonder how dad got away with that one?

But yeah, the birdie flew away. Then I thought of mom, who had canaries when she was little. She talked about how they taught the canaries songs to chirp. So that's both parents who you'd think have a soft spot for birds...

But nope, I wanted one and it will be written on their tombstones that they didn't let me have one.
wink.gif

The only bird I knew, and I don't know what kind he was, only that he was smallish, seemed friendly, and talked. He seemed to know the difference between boys and girls, and if a girl went into his room, he'd been conditioned to cat whistle and say "Pretty girl!" - so during a slumber party it was impossible to sneak in there in the morning and grab our shower stuff, he told the entire house about it.

But cooler than that was how friendly he was, he'd hop up to the side of his cage and sort of push the door a bit, and if you let him out he'd perch on your finger and tilt his head until you rubbed it (something that someone told me birds don't like?), and he'd push against your finger until you got the itchy spot.

I only knew him for a few days, but he was brilliant and just seemed to be a happy bird. I never met the boy who took such great care of him, but he did an awesome job.

So not even being a bird person, I know that, like any animal who joins the family, you get to know their personalities (for lack of a better word), and of course you're worried about him. I hope that he's at the Home for Wayward Birds playing birdie games and doing things birdies like to do.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 17, 2007 at 9:13 AM Post #40 of 40
Thanx Mike,

We already have the cage outside day and night with his toys where no cat can reach him near the door where he left. Never played or recorded the whistles though. Each time we go outside we whistle ourselves. But it sounds like a good idea. Thanx!!
I hope he is fine. Last night was his first night in the rain...hope he remembers not to fly when he is completele soaked
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back