Ottawa Meet Impressions
May 27, 2003 at 3:15 PM Post #31 of 59
ok all you head-fi'ers that are eager for pics, my webguys are working on posting a collage of pics on the OZ website for the pics I took, and some that they took as well. Look for it in the next few days.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 27, 2003 at 3:27 PM Post #32 of 59
The new Naims work with anything. Heard the Bat VK-D5, it is so awesome!!

May 27, 2003 at 3:29 PM Post #33 of 59
let's not forget the Cary 308 and the 308T players. These are absolute KILLER units. Even the Roksan Kandy is an unbelievable deal, and of course the Jolida JD100, the ONLY player with a <b>true</b> tube output stage in it's price range.

May 28, 2003 at 8:59 PM Post #34 of 59
My apologies to those who've read my similar comments on the NYC meet thread, but I just wanted to add a couple of comments regarding the Gilmore amp in general and Antness' Gilmore amps in specific.

It should be noted that the Gilmore V2s that were auditioned in NYC and in Ottawa were the lowest end models offered by Antness. A more fair comparison to the Emmiline and Grace amps would be the mid-level Gilmore SE which comes with the DACT stepped ladder attenuator. Upgrading this component alone results in a real and discernible improvemnt in sound quality.

The designer, Kevin Gilmore, originally built his prototype Gilmore amp with a stepped ladder attenuator and I personally feel that this should be considered the de facto baseline standard for the amp. AFAIK, the Grace amp comes standard with a stepped attenuator and in this regard, comparing the stock Gilmore V2 to it and other highly regarded amps is a bit like comparing a basic Ford Taurus to an upmarket Jag or Audi. Indeed, I can't help but feel that putting a typical conductive film volume pot in the signal path would noticeably handicap the performance of the Gilmore circuit. Of course, adding a stepped attenuator would add about $150 to the price of an amp so I can see why a manufacturer would offer a lower cost alternative, but I believe this shortchanges both the amp and the listener in the long run.

So, to sum it all up, I hope that people withold judgement on the Gilmore circuit itself until they get a chance to hear it with a proper stepped ladder attenuator in place.

May 28, 2003 at 9:07 PM Post #35 of 59
Well, I have to say your SA theory is off. This amp sounds good without it. I'm sure it does sound amazing with the SA but then...that would just add to the good sound already present. It continues to get better as it burns in. I think the circuit design is a good one and it pairs well with the SR200's and Etymotics.

May 28, 2003 at 10:02 PM Post #36 of 59
About the Stax SRM212...Kevin Gilmor says that is a nice little amp and better than the previous "budget" Stax drive units.I just bought one from Audiocubes.I going to build a 12V PSU with a small R-core xformer and a couple Nichicon caps to power the 212.Way better than the original typical psu
biggrin.gif
a cheap and easy upgrade.

May 28, 2003 at 10:06 PM Post #38 of 59
just my opinion, but for the money, I personally did not feel the Gilmore is worth it. The Rega Ear walked allover it, even cold.
Again, strictly my opinion.
wink.gif

May 28, 2003 at 10:23 PM Post #40 of 59
yeah, but at US$600 - which is C$960 - there are MUCH better options in an amp. ASL's MG head is another option, Maple Tree, etc, and again, the Rega is around C$350. Even a moded XCanV2 would be close,and you'd have money left over for music.
biggrin.gif

Hell, spend another $100 and grap a Stax set-up!

May 28, 2003 at 10:32 PM Post #41 of 59
Hi Omer--

Couple o' things here:

1) You guys should ditch the loonie and join the empire
smily_headphones1.gif

2) Honestly, give the Gilmore a listen with a stepped attenuator before making a final judgement!

May 28, 2003 at 11:33 PM Post #42 of 59
Well, I'm not going to debate opinions but I believe the amp is $575 shipped to Canada...with exchange...that is $796.
The Rega did sound quite good which surprised me. I was not expecting much from it.
The Gilmore has after a few more days...really opened up. SR200s+Gilmore is quite flooring.

May 29, 2003 at 1:23 AM Post #43 of 59
BoyElroy, yes I agree! Sometimes our loonie REALLY sucks,like whenit was US$0.60. UGH!!!
mad.gif

Good for exporting, though.....
biggrin.gif

Zanth, I guess I have to come over and take a listen.
smily_headphones1.gif

Say, what would all you locals think about a headphone show at the Navan Fair? It's being held in August, had a chat with one of the key organizers. Might be able to swing something, and perhaps by then I'll have some AT's, and a set of K1000's.
As if I didn't have enough on my plate.
tongue.gif

May 29, 2003 at 5:19 AM Post #44 of 59
Quote:

Originally posted by Zanth
Well, I'm not going to debate opinions but I believe the amp is $575 shipped to Canada...with exchange...that is $796.
The Rega did sound quite good which surprised me. I was not expecting much from it.
The Gilmore has after a few more days...really opened up. SR200s+Gilmore is quite flooring.

I really want to know the different between new Gilmore and new Corda HA-2, Zanth mentioned it to me at the meet. So far, I really don't have much impression about new Gilmore amp. Its sound IS good anyway. It can drive any headphones, low resistance, high resistance, anything, which is good, you don't worry about buy an extra particular amp for your particular headphone.

But with this price, I might look for others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back