OTL; SE and RKV
Jul 27, 2003 at 2:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

SteeleBlayde

1000+ Head-Fier
The RKV is an OTL amp.

Whats the difference between an OTL amp and an SE amp? And do I even know what I'm talking about? lol! Show me the light.

Jul 27, 2003 at 3:10 AM Post #4 of 9
Single-ended means that the tube is driving the output device continuously, forcing Class A operation. This is opposed to push-pull, where the power goes to the hot lead through one half of the circuit, then the other. This results in increased power and lower output impedance, but some claim it also produces distortion.

Either SE or push-pull amps may or may not have an output transformer. The EAR HP4 is a SET (single-ended triode) design that uses an output (and input) transpformer. The Singlepower Supra is a SET design that is also OTL. The MG Head is a push-pull amplifier, IIRC that may or may not use a transformer.

Jul 27, 2003 at 3:22 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by SteeleBlayde
Thanks for clearing this up for me guys, one other thing though:

Is the RKV a push-pull design or a SET design?

I'm suspecting push-pull, but don't really know. The RKV does use a lot of negative feedback, which is found more often in push-pull designs than single-ended one.

Jul 27, 2003 at 3:22 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by SteeleBlayde

Is the RKV a push-pull design or a SET design?

Push Pull.

Jul 27, 2003 at 2:45 PM Post #8 of 9
My SDS amp is SE and also OTL.

Jul 27, 2003 at 10:13 PM Post #9 of 9
Gosh, if Mikhail makes a K1000 version of his amps, I think alot of people, myself included, would love a comparison with it and the RKV!
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back