OTL DIY kits other than Bottlehead?
Dec 23, 2013 at 4:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

madmalkav

Head-Fier
Well, as title says, I want to know if there any other complete kits selling other than Bottlehead Crack. I can also go with no complete kits as far as it include PCB -if necessary- and the hardest parts to find.

Thanks for reading.

Dec 23, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #5 of 38
Here's an OTL design that I've often thought about building, the 6N1P modified Morgan Jones.

http://headwize.com/?page_id=457

It's not a kit, but it's easily built point-to-point and the tubes are cheap to get from Russia. Txformer designs have that one big problem, you have to get the tx, and that often carries a charge for p&p that really pushes the overall price up, particularly if it's not a serious commitment you want, more a passing interest.

w

Dec 23, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #6 of 38
Here's an OTL design that I've often thought about building, the 6N1P modified Morgan Jones.

http://headwize.com/?page_id=457

It's not a kit, but it's easily built point-to-point and the tubes are cheap to get from Russia. Txformer designs have that one big problem, you have to get the tx, and that often carries a charge for p&p that really pushes the overall price up, particularly if it's not a serious commitment you want, more a passing interest.

w

I like that amp, you should build it if you have (and generally like) high impedance headphones. 
Not so good for Low impedance though. 

I would upgrade it with a simple series-pass mosfet regulator, although this is somewhat optional. 

Dec 24, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #7 of 38
  I have some 600 ohmsd headphones -and plan on adquiring more- , that is why I think OTL can be the best option, but will look at that link, thanks for your quick reply.

Ok....no. That is a bad reason to choose OTL. 

OTL simply sounds different than transformer coupled. The impedance thing is only an issue with low impedance headphones. If you are trying to listen to an OTL amp with something like audio technica ATH-AD700s or something with a really low impedance, then the system will just sound like god crap. The higher impedance headphones you use, the better the amp will pair with the headphones. That is all. 

The whole idea behind OTL amps is so that you can avoid spending the 100+ bucks on output transformers, but since you have ~600 bucks to spend, then go with a transformer coupled amp. 

Also, do not go with a stupid printed circuit board. If you are going to drop 600 bucks on a build, do it right and learn how to read a circuit. Once you have done that, go find a decent EL34 based amp and build it using point to point methods. 

Dec 24, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #9 of 38
Thanks everyone for your comments. I happen to have some 6N1P tubes and they are dirty as hell to get, so I'm probably trying that one.

Anyway, I will like to see nikongod's recomendation on parafeed or pushpull DIY kits.

Dec 24, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #10 of 38
To my knowledge there are no other kits other than the Bottlehead. There are a few OTL schematics that were popular, like the Morgan Jones amp with either 6N1P or 6922 (already mentioned) or the ones based on the 6AS7G (Millett HA-2 and Aren Vanderwaarde). The first one is a decent little amp (built it years ago) suited to high impedance 'phones, the second is something like Darkvoice from China used to sell.

Like others here I don't like the idea anymore to pass the audio signal through biggish electrolytic caps... they tend to sound veiled and lacking detail. So I'd also recommend something transformer coupled.

Send me a PM with an email adress and I can send you a few schematics (after the holidays... I am on vacation :wink:).

Dec 24, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #11 of 38
Thanks for your offer. I was looking for a kit becuase of easyness -I'm not really experienced with electronics-. If that schematics are not too hard, I can take a look, but if they start to be "serious bussiness", I will not make you lose your time :)

Dec 24, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #12 of 38
  Anyway, I will like to see nikongod's recomendation on parafeed or pushpull DIY kits.

The torpedo and SEX amps are both prafeed. 
Parafeed uses a "gapless" or "non-gapped" output transformer, which can (and usually does) have VERY wide bandwidth. 

I mentioned push-pull because in conventional amps push-pull usually offers MUCH wider bandwidth than a conventional series-feed transformer. This point does not hold with parafeed. 
Anyways, For push-pull there are a couple low-power speaker amp kits that can be modified to work with headphones, but from my limited experience they require a LOT of modification to work right with headphones... I would stick with the stuff built for headphones. 

Dec 24, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #15 of 38
Does mapletree audio still offer a kit for the ear+?

Eddie current Monolith is a SS bare bones diy: http://www.eddiecurrent.com/DIY.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back