OT - some bass distortion on Kamakiriad?
Jul 8, 2009 at 12:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

davidc2

Head-Fier
Sorry - this is not directly about headphones but about music through them. Can anyone who has Donald Fagen's Kamakiriad let me know if they can hear distortion on some low bass notes or beats on the track - Snowbound? I have bought two copies of this album because it seemed to me impossible that a track with distortion on it would have survived the mixing and cd manufacture process. So I'd be glad to hear if anyone who has this album can let me know if they can hear the low distortion as well.

I have listened to the track on RS1i, K701 and HD650 headphones and the distortion is always there.

Jul 8, 2009 at 12:48 PM Post #2 of 7
Distortion sometimes comes through the mixing process so it is possible it is just on the track. Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody for example is another notorious example of a great song with too much distortion.
Just to be sure, have you checked all cables etc? What is your source / file-quality?

Jul 8, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks. I am just surprised that Fagen, whose attention to detail is legendary, would have allowed such distortion to pass. My system is a NAD C545BEE CD player, an Asus Xonar Essence STX, and a Graham Slee Novo. No distortion noted on other tracks.

Jul 8, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #4 of 7
Yes there is. It is easily heard and a bit bothersome, but it is a GREAT song and doesn't stop me from enjoying every minute of it.
icon10.gif

Jul 8, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #5 of 7
Cued it up on my iPod. Love everything by Fagen. Never noticed it, but the distortion definitely is there.

Thank you.

I'll always hear that distorntion now.

Jul 9, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #7 of 7
I don't hear any distortion on my home speakers using the MVI version which is hirez played back on an Oppo 980H. This is a superb recording. I will try to listen on my 125is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back