OSX El Capitan USB DAC Issues - Solve with Schiit Wyrd ??
Jan 16, 2016 at 6:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

bazelio

500+ Head-Fier
Hi Mac users...

I have a DAC that requires the Hiface USB Mac driver for OSX, and after upgrading one machine to El Capitan, that driver no longer works.  M2Tech has not released the El Capitan version.  God only knows when they will.

Question: I thought putting a Schiit Wyrd USB decrapifer in between the USB DAC and the the Mac would prevent the need for the Hiface driver.  $100 to never worry about OSX upgrades again is actually kind of priceless, too.

Does anyone think this plan WILL NOT work?

Thanks!!!

Jan 16, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #2 of 9
No, because the Wyrd doesn't do anything different to what a USB hub does with the signal. 

I suggest selling that DAC and buying an Yggdrasil instead. 
smile.gif

Jan 16, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #5 of 9
The Schiit Wyrd IS a USB hub. It cleans up the power supply and signal IIRC, but other than that, it is indeed just a USB hub. You will not see it in Audio MIDI set-up, just as you wont see a USB hub. 

Jan 19, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #7 of 9
Well, the problem is solved, and I'm back in business.  

I'm booting to Yosemite on a 32GB USB3 thumb drive - where I can again load the Hiface driver.  Mildly irritating but thus is the life of an audiophool!  And hey, unless I'm imagining this - I actually think Amarra sound quality is subtly improved when running off the solid state drive as opposed to the hard drive.....  ???  Probably imagining it.  
beyersmile.png

Oct 13, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #8 of 9
I dunno about osx el capitan, but osx sierra was causing problems and the wyrd fixed it.

I love love love the wyrd. Tried two usb hubs, and neither worked, so the wyrd was my last attempt before giving up. Heaven.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back