Oscilloscope? Yes Please!
Dec 2, 2006 at 3:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

phosfiend

100+ Head-Fier
Here's a weird question for everyone,

Where can I get an Oscilloscope to um, watch my music on? I'm not talking software either - I'm looking for a standalone unit, and preferably a pretty good looking one - oh, and let's not forget cheap.

Admittedly, I know very little about scopes - and they are I imagine they are by and large precision instruments. I'm just looking for something pretty.

Anyone know were I might find something like this? Probably not bloody likely, but I thought I'd give it a shot.

thanks much!

Dec 2, 2006 at 4:00 AM Post #2 of 8
You probably want a spectrum analyzer not an O'scope.

With an Oscope you could see what's going on at different specific frequencies but not the entire audio spectrum.

With a Spectrum analyzer you'll see the distribution of audio energy across the enitre audio spectrum.

Mitch

Dec 2, 2006 at 4:09 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With an Oscope you could see what's going on at different specific frequencies but not the entire audio spectrum.

Ahh, is the "oscilloscope" in classic winamp skins actually a spectrum analyzer then? I'm more interested in the waveform than the frequency bars (excuse my ignorance)

Dec 2, 2006 at 9:10 AM Post #4 of 8
Well, you'd get something off an oscilloscope.

If you want a cheap one, look at the old Heathkit 'scopes on eBay. If you dig the retro look, you can get one for under $20. I've got an old OM-1 that I need to work on. It's got the "Mad Scientist" look that I like. Manuals and innards are cheap and plentiful, too.

And you could use it, too. Not as good as the same era Tektronix 'scopes or modern ones, but you can use them.

Dec 2, 2006 at 8:23 PM Post #5 of 8
robin%20fox.jpg

Robin Fox --- Backscatter (Synaethesia DVD)

Dec 3, 2006 at 12:33 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by meme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
robin%20fox.jpg

Robin Fox --- Backscatter (Synaethesia DVD)

And there's the crux of it: Synaethesia. Oscilloscopes help me 'see' my music - and I'd love to have that my fingertips without running some software AVS

Dec 3, 2006 at 8:34 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by phosfiend /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ahh, is the "oscilloscope" in classic winamp skins actually a spectrum analyzer then? I'm more interested in the waveform than the frequency bars (excuse my ignorance)

You got it right the first time, a "waveform" view is exactly what an oscilloscope displays. A spectrum analyzer displays the frequency bars.

Hrmm...this thread has made me interested in getting a spectrum analyzer on the cheap...where can I get one?

Dec 3, 2006 at 10:42 PM Post #8 of 8
The Behringer DEQ2496 which is a digital euqualizer that comes with a variety of life metering modes. when I am not playing with it I have the display set to the spectrum analyzer.

I have this unit looped in the digital path between my source and the DAC.

Cheers

Thomas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back