Oscilliscope: For those without one...
Jan 5, 2010 at 10:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Samgotit

Headphoneus Supremus
...do you want one, and what would you do with it?

Just a curious inquiry. To keep it simple, let's just say something like an older Tektronix 466 and the like. I know there's several threads on scopes here; still, I'm curious.

Please answer only if you do NOT own a scope. Thanks.

Jan 5, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #2 of 31
Uhm... test for oscillation/ringing on my work-in-progress Dynahi and see how low I can set the gain. Then again, ringing usually occurs past 100MHz, but better than no test at all.

Also, can't wait to toss a diyMod on there with/without the stock DC-blocking caps installed to see if there is much of a difference between bridging and completely skipping stock output circuitry.

Jan 5, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #3 of 31
HELL YEAH I'd want one. It sucks having to go to school and bribing the guys in the stock room to use the scopes or sneak in during classtimes to get a test or two done. Definitely a plus when I finally start working with DACs and custom amp/dac designs. I'm still waiting for my university to upgrade their scopes... cuz we all know what that means
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 6, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #4 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdupiano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HELL YEAH I'd want one. It sucks having to go to school and bribing the guys in the stock room to use the scopes or sneak in during classtimes to get a test or two done. Definitely a plus when I finally start working with DACs and custom amp/dac designs. I'm still waiting for my university to upgrade their scopes... cuz we all know what that means
smily_headphones1.gif

Is it getting cold in here?

Jan 6, 2010 at 8:09 AM Post #5 of 31
nm

Jan 6, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #6 of 31
Yes.

To Measure what's coming out of the amplifier, to see if it is oscillating and how it is performing.

To measure I2S and clock lines to see how square the square wave is.

But I'm at a usage versus price point - would I use it enough to justify the cost.

Jan 10, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #12 of 31
Oh yah! I would be looking at the DC power supplies I just tweaked for noise on the output. Hard to be certain with only a DMM.

Jan 10, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #13 of 31
hell yeah!! test for ringing on the discrete output on my portable amp, measure the output of the different transformers I plan to couple my dac with, look for noise on the many different series and shunt regulators and super regulators (and their sense lines) as i'm becoming obsessed with building up regs and PSUs lately and I want to pick which ones for best results on the ackodac. build up a more complete picture of the Ackodac prototype when it arrives etc etc. as it is i'll be buying a used scope for these reasons and will perhaps build up that DIYAUDIO project using a modified soundcard for multiple probes etc, but I would love a kick-ass one.

I also would test out the bridging vs removing caps in DIYMOD to see once and for all, as i'm about as curious as fallenangel

Jan 11, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Budgie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh yah! I would be looking at the DC power supplies I just tweaked for noise on the output. Hard to be certain with only a DMM.

What makes you think this? A 'scope has far less resolution than you would think. I'd probably use my DMM before (an unaided) scope. Oh wait, I shouldn't be posting in this thread, huh
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back