Oritek Mod Zhaolu 2.5 vs CI vda2 without xtra PS
Jun 6, 2007 at 9:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

tako_tsubo

500+ Head-Fier
the Channel Islands VDA2 dac really shines with the added extra power supply(bass and soundstage dynamics), but then the cost goes up $150...so how would the Dac unit alone sound /compare to the OMZ. looking to add a different DAC to the squeezebox in the HT. the beresford I currently have can then go into the exercise area in the bedroom (source unmodded sony scd-555ES) although I am happy with the TC7510 looking for more highend detail...and wanting to upgrade the bedroom system also (maybe even add another squeezebox eventually)

Jun 7, 2007 at 10:52 PM Post #2 of 18
The resale value will likely be higher for the VDA-2. I've heard the VDA-2 WITH PS and I preferred it over a sacdmods Zapfiltered Music Hall if that's any help. It's an extraordinary DAC for the money. If you're patient you can find a VAC-1 on the used market for around $100 when you get some more funds.

Jun 7, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #3 of 18
I've heard both dacs in a shoot out... I preferred the VDA-2 by a wide margin. The other two people in the room like the Oritek 2.5 better... and we had a little back and forth about it.

my recommendation is clearly with the VDA-2...

Jun 7, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard both dacs in a shoot out... I preferred the VDA-2 by a wide margin. The other two people in the room like the Oritek 2.5 better... and we had a little back and forth about it.

my recommendation is clearly with the VDA-2...

who were the other 2 people?

Jun 7, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #5 of 18
we should let them join if they wish... but i won't drag others into this conversation...

Jun 8, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #7 of 18
the comparison was about a month ago.. so i'm reluctant to give any more details than this:

1. the VDA-2 sounded clearer to my ears
2. the VDA-2 had better bass and treble extension
3. the VDA-2 sounded "right" to my ears, while i got nervous and thought there was something "funky" going on with the OMZ by comparison
4. There was a little more liveliness and punch to the VDA-2, and it was far darker sounding.

on the OMZ side:
1. characteristics of insturments and voices came out more
2. the midrange sounded more lush
3. soundstage was larger
4. big sound coming off the walls

Jun 8, 2007 at 7:54 AM Post #8 of 18
There are other components affecting sonic reproduction. If the cables, the amplifier, or the speakers "mask" some details or treble, then you need to "boost" details at the source (DAC) to compensate the attenuation. In contrast, you may find such "boosting" DAC become too bright or too punchy in a neutral or a high-resolution system.

This is why component matching is a must. A decent AC cord can boost bass and treble. This allows you to tune your system to meet your musical tastes.
icon10.gif

Jun 8, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by bordins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A decent AC cord can boost bass and treble. This allows you to tune your system to meet your musical tastes.
icon10.gif

Until Ori starts making some good power cords (for cheap!), Black Sands Violet Z1 is a GREAT match for OMZ
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 8, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
who were the other 2 people?

I was one of the two
icon10.gif

I prefer OMZ. I am pretty sensitive to the siblance ( that's why I sold my brand new DT990 after 2 days listening). OMZ has ALL the high frequency details minus the siblance. It also sounds more 3-D and holographical.

Jun 9, 2007 at 12:48 PM Post #11 of 18
If you talk about the interconnect cables, I find only Oritek X-2 cables allow the real power of an OMZ to be revealed completely.
eggosmile.gif

Jun 9, 2007 at 1:06 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by bordins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you talk about the interconnect cables, I find only Oritek X-2 cables allow the real power of an OMZ to be revealed completely.
eggosmile.gif

are they the ones that cost more than the OMZ itself!!!?

Jun 9, 2007 at 1:24 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are they the ones that cost more than the OMZ itself!!!?

You may own these cables for your lifetime while your OMZ will break one day.
wink.gif

I have done a mini experiment comparing my OMZ 2.0A with non X-2 cables v.s. my Phillips universal player with the X-2. If I have to choose between these two Oritek products, the X-2 are definitely my pick.

Jun 10, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #14 of 18
Thanks to all the input everyone...seems easier to decide now
blink.gif

in the vda2vs omz shootout was the PSU used on the CI dac?

AST, have you listened to an Ultrasone? which some feel may have some sibilance in the high end...I happen to think it is just almost gets too much for me but still enjoyable for most music I listien to...so if the VDA would make this HP ring more, then the OMZ might be better for me ( might add a Denon HP by the end of the year tho
wink.gif
)...the large soundstage and "big sound coming off the walls" / holographical are some great descriptions.
on the other hand a nice punchy and lively sound with good Bass sound so tempting...

on another thread someone plans a bresford vs. unmodded Zhaolu vs OMZ vs I as I recall even a presonus CS...might be good to wait it out more.
Thanks all again for the info so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back