Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM discussion thread
Sep 10, 2023 at 1:48 AM Post #7,652 of 8,096
I love to hear your thoughts between the Bird and Mentor. I have been gathering funds to catch a Bird but this past while there seems to have been some that have moved over from the Bird to Mentor.
Thanks...
I have both now. Mentor is more dynamic with more live alike presentation due to BCD pinpoint imaging, timing and stage. It’s also has more defined transients across all range.
The lower highs are a bit pronounced so you hear every cymbal but never too much and also no sibilance is present.

Bird’s mids are more lush, it has more lifted sub bass and it’s of greater quality also. Mentor has more mid bass. Mid bass on Bird is relaxed and a bit slow. Traillii upper midrange is a bit accentuated creating a great sense of air, on Mentor it is dipped a bit.
Highs on Traillii are easier, a bit rounded and more ethereal.

Hope this helps!
I own both but I prefer Traillii by a large margin. The Mentor is great, does nothing wrong, provides a great listening experience. But the Bird is still more engaging and special to me. But you can't really go wrong with either.
In my opinion, you should pay a little attention here. Because it certainly depends on the music preferences which one one prefers between Mentor and The Bird. Mentor has without a doubt the best soundstage, imaging and layering and this makes it ideal for electronic music for example. Here it is unsurpassed for me personally (or only by the Xe6 in a different way...). The Bird has timbre (and vocals among that) as its greatest strength. Again, I would go so far as to say that it currently has the best timbre (in the context of excellent technicalities) below the TOTLs. For genres like indie, rock, pop, vocals and similar, I would certainly prefer it. In other words, both are fantastic in their own right and for me personally certainly complementary.

Sep 10, 2023 at 3:56 AM Post #7,653 of 8,096
I love to hear your thoughts between the Bird and Mentor. I have been gathering funds to catch a Bird but this past while there seems to have been some that have moved over from the Bird to Mentor.
Thanks...
A difficult choice. But in addition to what has been said about the sound of both IEMs, I would vote for the Traillii also because of the comfort, build quality and better investment value. I think the Bird can’t disappoint anyone in terms of sound quality.

Sep 10, 2023 at 5:18 AM Post #7,654 of 8,096
I would add though that the bird is not vented and some people have sold their birds because of this. Not me though. I have no issues with the bird and pick up often more than I would Mentor.

Sep 10, 2023 at 6:26 AM Post #7,655 of 8,096
Thanks...
I owned both at the same time for about 2 months. I had Traillii for over a year before I sold it because I ended up preferring Mentor.
I had thoughts of re-buying Traillii (yes, because Traillii and Mentor are complementary to me) but would only do so if I could get it new for less than what I paid for my first Traillii, which was purchased during Musicteck Black Friday sale 2021 (40% off the US$6600 MSRP).

Traillii today (Black & Red edition) has been offered new for US$ 5000, still more expensive than what I paid in 2021.
Mentor on the other hand, has been offered new for US$3600 during some sales. In fact, I got my 1st Mentor at that price, sold it, and got another pair with custom faceplate for US$4000.

If I had to pick one (indeed I did), I'd go with Mentor. The reasons: I'm in love with Mentor since first listen. Didn't happen to me with Traillii. At first listen, Traillii's treble was too much from me, even using N6ii Ti (R2R). Only after tips rolling and getting used to it for a few weeks I could live with the treble and enjoy it more. I never had issue with Traillii not being vented though. The other reasons: Mentor is less expensive than Traillii and has CIEM option

Sep 10, 2023 at 7:04 AM Post #7,656 of 8,096
Important thing to add about Mentor - imo it needs a very good amplification to shine in its full potential, not only power which it needs a bit less than Traillii but current also.
I found it to sound best from DX320 MAX TI, while the Bird would sound good almost from anything. Of course it will also scale with better sources, but for Mentor it could be a dealbreaker as difference could be too drastic.

The same goes for DAC quality and synergy also - you can compare Mentor in regular mode with DX320 MAX and ultimate mode with 4 DACs enabled.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #7,659 of 8,096
Hello, I have a question which luxury&precision dap do you recommend for Traillia? I mainly listen to female and male vocals, blues, jazz.
I pick p6p myself

Sep 10, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #7,662 of 8,096
Thank you.I have a 320 max ti for um mentor and I am looking for something different.I was wondering between P6 Pro and LP6 Ti.
if you can find and afford a lp6ti 7th, just buy it, not recommend other lp6ti for iem

Sep 10, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #7,664 of 8,096
Sep 10, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #7,665 of 8,096
Thank you.I have a 320 max ti for um mentor and I am looking for something different.I was wondering between P6 Pro and LP6 Ti.
LP6ti is killer. I own one and sold my P6Pro eventually because I can’t keep them all.
That said, the P6Pro will be always missed, and for what you are saying you’ll use it for, I think it’s the preferable choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back