Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM discussion thread
Jul 26, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #3,901 of 8,052
I should finally be getting my custom Traillii after more than 2 months! Just heard back from Andrew that he is expecting a big Traillii shipment from Oriolus this week.

Jul 26, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #3,903 of 8,052
What’s the best DAP pairing with the bird ? Cost no object
I happen to have sp2000cu, quite analytical and energetic.
My favorite pairing is the one you have (SP2k cu) :)

Jul 26, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #3,904 of 8,052
My favorite pairing is the one you have (SP2k cu) :)
Did you change the cable or used an adapter ?
How can sp2k handle traillii ? Does it need a C9 ?

Jul 26, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #3,906 of 8,052
I preferred CU compared to M8, R8, DX300, L&P W2, & even Ti. I use the PWA 1960 adapter (https://shop.musicteck.com/collecti...gled-the-1960s-version?variant=32226910109758) which I highly recommend since it maintains the same cable synergy (in theory) as the stock 1960 cable.

SP2k handles Traillii very well. Excellent detail, huge staging, excellent treble sparkle (cymbals sound great), weighty, deep bass without being elevated. Mids are sweet but still very detailed.

I never tried stacking SP2k with C9, and as amazing as C9 is, I feel Traillii does not need it. It added more technicalities at expense of musicality which just didn't work for my preferences. Traillii is technical enough for me, but if you want to maximize separation/imaging and staging with the sound "further away" from you, could be worth a shot.

Jul 26, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #3,907 of 8,052
I preferred CU compared to M8, R8, DX300, L&P W2, & even Ti. I use the PWA 1960 adapter (https://shop.musicteck.com/collecti...gled-the-1960s-version?variant=32226910109758) which I highly recommend since it maintains the same cable synergy (in theory) as the stock 1960 cable.

SP2k handles Traillii very well. Excellent detail, huge staging, excellent treble sparkle (cymbals sound great), weighty, deep bass without being elevated. Mids are sweet but still very detailed.

I never tried stacking SP2k with C9, and as amazing as C9 is, I feel Traillii does not need it. It added more technicalities at expense of musicality which just didn't work for my preferences. Traillii is technical enough for me, but if you want to maximize separation/imaging and staging with the sound "further away" from you, could be worth a shot.
Looking forward to your comparison with @bluestorm1992 LP6.

Jul 26, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #3,908 of 8,052

the Bird is easy to drive from W2 usb dac dongle to any high end DAP. Pair up synergy will change, but I wouldn't rush to upgrade your source yet. Get to know your feathered friend first, figure out eartips (very important), and with SP2k use 4.4mm to 2.5/3.5mm adapter from either EA AKA or PWA. Don't change too many variables at once, just start with an adapter since it's a must to use with SP2k.

Jul 26, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #3,909 of 8,052
the Bird is easy to drive from W2 usb dac dongle to any high end DAP. Pair up synergy will change, but I wouldn't rush to upgrade your source yet. Get to know your feathered friend first, figure out eartips (very important), and with SP2k use 4.4mm to 2.5/3.5mm adapter from either EA AKA or PWA. Don't change too many variables at once, just start with an adapter since it's a must to use with SP2k.
Well I did just that , bird ordered with the pw adapter but not the wired version that costs $500. It’s the little piece $87.

Jul 26, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #3,910 of 8,052
What’s the best DAP pairing with the bird ? Cost no object
I happen to have sp2000cu, quite analytical and energetic.
Cost no object, DMP-Z1. Not really a dap though...

Jul 27, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #3,911 of 8,052
When it comes to DAP, I tend to consider the quality of use as much as the sound.
for instance, the buttons location on the fiio m15 was driving me nuts, as well as the wifi/android 7.1 issues.
N6ii can be a good options with multiple DAC options and Android, r2r Dac.
the SP2000, I admit it sounds great but I can’t accept the shape of the player, or the volume knob, personal choice.
Even if I had my honeymoon time with the N6ii, I like the LPGT, cause I love the form factor and the 2 sec power on.

Long story short, you need to choose the DAP according to what you do with it more than which one sounds best.

Jul 27, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #3,912 of 8,052
When it comes to DAP, I tend to consider the quality of use as much as the sound.
for instance, the buttons location on the fiio m15 was driving me nuts, as well as the wifi/android 7.1 issues.
the SP2000, I admit it sounds great but I can’t accept the shape of the player, or the volume knob, personal choice.
Even if I had my honeymoon time with the N6ii, I like the LPGT, cause I love the form factor and the 2 sec power on.

Long story short, you need to choose the DAP according to what you do with it more than which one sounds best.
True, but being an old school I could live without streaming and no android app sideloading.

I know for a fact even if it’s subtle, removing network functionalities like wifi and Bluetooth from the circuit board improves the playback by a noticeable margin to my ears. Ymmv

Local playback >>> Streaming

Jul 27, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #3,913 of 8,052

Completely agree, though ideally you'll get one that sounds great + ticks all the other boxes. But I would give up a smidge in absolute sound quality if it meant better usability/speed, over the best possible sound and poor UX. At flagship (>$1500) level I expect both excellent sound and UX.

Jul 27, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #3,914 of 8,052
True, but being an old school I could live without streaming and no android app sideloading.

I know for a fact even if it’s subtle, removing network functionalities like wifi and Bluetooth from the circuit board improves the playback by a noticeable margin to my ears. Ymmv

Local playback >>> Streaming
Agreed about SQ of local vs streaming, but merely having BT/Wifi functionality and the ability to run apps does not, in any way, hinder SQ for local playback, unless the implementation is poor.

PS. we should probably take this discussion to another thread, my bad too.

Jul 27, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #3,915 of 8,052
Agreed about SQ of local vs streaming, but merely having BT/Wifi functionality and the ability to run apps does not, in any way, hinder SQ for local playback, unless the implementation is poor.

PS. we should probably take this discussion to another thread, my bad too.
Note; that I do not stream music on a player.

Back to the original question which DAP sounds and works best with Traillii, I have been quite so far, because I have not heard the LP6 and only a demo of the LPGT. I cannot do A&K until they have a 4.4. M8 with the bird good but not great, I love M8 with the Isabellae. So much preference at work here.

Right now for me daily it is the P6 Pro I grab first. I suspect though the LP6 would sound a little better. I would not say I am happy with how difficult it is to get your files onto, and then access them on the P6 Pro it is a major pain, and that is the compromise.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back