Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM discussion thread
May 24, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #1,861 of 8,027
Haven't spent much time with it yet. But I'm really enjoying them so far. The treble is A LOT but I wouldn't call it harsh at all. It could be fatiguing but I haven't experimented with tips to be fair. So I think you can add me to list of Fourte Lovers.
It's interesting, I don't have an issue with the treble of the Fourte at all. I guess it's the reverse of the Odin's upper mids, which I cannot deal with but others don't know what I'm talking about... Interesting how different perceptions can be.
I stand corrected...four people.

:smile:
Five now... 😂

Last edited:
May 24, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #1,862 of 8,027
It's interesting, I don't have an issue with the treble of the Fourte at all. I guess it's the reverse of the Odin's upper mids, which I cannot deal with but others don't know what I'm taking about... Interesting how different perceptions can be.

Five now... 😂

I think quite a few people found some dislike towards the odins upper mid range. You aren’t alone there.

May 24, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #1,863 of 8,027
So, courtesy of @saltyfr0g I was able to demo the L&P W2 today.

I stacked it up against my Lotoo S1, using both the LX and Traillii to interpret the sound characteristics. This was using my iPhone and respective USB-C to Lightning cables. Volume matching was as close as I could perceive without the use of a dB meter lol.

Immediately off the bat I feel like I’m getting more bass detail and depth from the S1. The mid range of the S1 also seems a bit more vivid and separated from other frequencies. Treble is similar but I heard more of it when paired with the S1.

Is it possibly the iPhone is not powering it properly? Considering it’s a mobile type dongle I would assume phones would be provide plenty of juice to achieve the intended sound delivery. I ask this because I have seen on numerous occasions people swearing by the W2 paired with Traillii. I felt the S1 was doing both IEM’s more justice.

Either my lack of knowledge about this device has got the best of me or it’s not powered properly. Thoughts?
Could also be that you prefer the tonality of the S1 (more neutral/reference).
I liked the Noir more than the OG Fourte because the thicker midrange helped mask that dip a little compared to the OG, it’s not as close as technically impressive though.

If the Orpheus sucks with the Traillii I may grab another Noir to go with it. 🌚
You should revisit the OG Fourte with Orpheus (and the Traillii 1960s). They might surprise you with a better cable pairing.

May 24, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #1,864 of 8,027

You should revisit the OG Fourte with Orpheus (and the Traillii 1960s). They might surprise you with a better cable pairing.

Maybe I’ll give that a go too. We’ll see what happens. Ideally Orpheus is the greatest thing since sliced bread and I can spend the rest of my “audio budget” on an N6ii Ti for some R2R fun.

May 24, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #1,865 of 8,027
It's interesting, I don't have an issue with the treble of the Fourte at all. I guess it's the reverse of the Odin's upper mids, which I cannot deal with but others don't know what I'm taking about... Interesting how different perceptions can be.

Five now... 😂
Like I said I haven't tried many tips yet. I should maybe let my brain adjust a bit too .
Like you I much more would have an issue with an elevated upper mid. It would fatiguing after 10 mins.
The vocals sound amazing by the way. Didn't expect that.

May 24, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #1,866 of 8,027
That’s the thing though.. the tonality of the S1 sounded more vivid and not more neutral I reference. W2 just sounded dull. @FooFighter mentioned a known issue basically causing what I’m hearing.

I’ll try it with another source.

May 24, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #1,867 of 8,027
I liked the Noir more than the OG Fourte because the thicker midrange helped mask that dip a little compared to the OG, it’s not as close as technically impressive though.

I prefer OG over Noir, by a lot. The Noir is a great IEM for sure, but it did not go very well with metal, which is key for me. The thicker mid bass made low tuned guitar riffs less crisp and chunky.
Like I said I haven't tried many tips yet. I should maybe let my brain adjust a bit too .
Like you I much more would have an issue with an elevated upper mid. It would fatiguing after 10 mins.
The vocals sound amazing by the way. Didn't expect that.
It would not be strange if you find it bright, many do. I hope the tip rolling helps. I concur, the vocals are lovely and one of the Fourte's main strengths imo.

May 24, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #1,868 of 8,027
[the Traillii] makes you feel like you are inside the music
That’s exactly how it feels to me! I haven’t experienced this feeling, to this degree, with anything else (though, admittedly, I haven’t heard a ton of IEMs/headphones). And, I don’t know a better way to describe it.

It’s an addicting feeling for sure.

May 24, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #1,869 of 8,027
That’s exactly how it feels to me! I haven’t experienced this feeling, to this degree, with anything else (though, admittedly, I haven’t heard a ton of IEMs/headphones). And, I don’t know a better way to describe it.

It’s an addicting feeling for sure.
It's not the only IEM that gives you this sensation but it definitely does it better than most. I'd say that feeling is a great way to describe the difference between truly TOTL/flagship IEM/headphones and those that...aren't.

May 24, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #1,870 of 8,027

Haha go go get the noir! 😎😁

By the way Tia Noir vs Fourté og (new) makes noirs sound very nosal! When a/b directly so its easier to add for example a darker sounding cable to og then screwing the noir even more!

Noir plus double helix cables symbiote elite 19 pure silver was the best of what I could get and make the Noirs to sound.

May 24, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #1,871 of 8,027
So, courtesy of @saltyfr0g I was able to demo the L&P W2 today.

I stacked it up against my Lotoo S1, using both the LX and Traillii to interpret the sound characteristics. This was using my iPhone and respective USB-C to Lightning cables. Volume matching was as close as I could perceive without the use of a dB meter lol.

Immediately off the bat I feel like I’m getting more bass detail and depth from the S1. The mid range of the S1 also seems a bit more vivid and separated from other frequencies. Treble is similar but I heard more of it when paired with the S1.

Is it possibly the iPhone is not powering it properly? Considering it’s a mobile type dongle I would assume phones would be provide plenty of juice to achieve the intended sound delivery. I ask this because I have seen on numerous occasions people swearing by the W2 paired with Traillii. I felt the S1 was doing both IEM’s more justice.

Either my lack of knowledge about this device has got the best of me or it’s not powered properly. Thoughts?
Hmmmmm you’ve got me curious….I’ve been using my W2 with my iPhone XS Max and sounds great however not to the level of my m dap or my desktop system….which made sense to me…but now I’m wondering if because I only use iPhone and not android if I am missing out:/ I don’t think I can connect the W2 to my M dap, no android UI.
Def not getting a new phone or dap to try this out, may have to sell the W2 and go for the S1…..
Other users have this problem with W2 and iPhone because of usb restrictions with iPhone? There has to be a way around this…

May 24, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #1,872 of 8,027
Haven't spent much time with it yet. But I'm really enjoying them so far. The treble is A LOT but I wouldn't call it harsh at all. It could be fatiguing but I haven't experimented with tips to be fair. So I think you can add me to list of Fourte Lovers.

I have noticed and this relates to the Trio as well... After listening to many IEM's along my experimental and educational journey, there is a difference between bright treble and crispy etched treble. The Trio has great treble and a bright sound, just without the following fatigue usually associated to a harsh treble. 64 Audio does a great job at tuning their treble this way. It maximizes the detail and air while leaving behind the sharpness that is often complained about.

May 24, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #1,873 of 8,027
Hmmmmm you’ve got me curious….I’ve been using my W2 with my iPhone XS Max and sounds great however not to the level of my m dap or my desktop system….which made sense to me…but now I’m wondering if because I only use iPhone and not android if I am missing out:/ I don’t think I can connect the W2 to my M dap, no android UI.
Def not getting a new phone or dap to try this out, may have to sell the W2 and go for the S1…..
Other users have this problem with W2 and iPhone because of usb restrictions with iPhone? There has to be a way around this…
I would recommend trying the S1 before doing so. I may just be an anomaly and would hate to have you sell something you're happy with only to find out you don't like the S1. It's fairly cheap so grab an S1 and see what you think between the two.

May 24, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #1,874 of 8,027
I have noticed and this relates to the Trio as well... After listening to many IEM's along my experimental and educational journey, there is a difference between bright treble and crispy etched treble. The Trio has great treble and a bright sound, just without the following fatigue usually associated to a harsh treble. 64 Audio does a great job at tuning their treble this way. It maximizes the detail and air while leaving behind the sharpness that is often complained about.
When I talked about fatiguing I meant on certain songs. With the majority of my library there is no issue however. For me the OG Mest was a bit harsh on treble overall.

May 24, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #1,875 of 8,027
I heard S1 as bassier, warmer and more musical. W2 is more neutral and analytical. Staging and noise floor is where I felt W2 surpassed S1, but S1 is no slouch in that regard either.

I personally preferred W2 but either is great.

The thing that irritated me with S1 is that I could hear a slight hiss with my campfire IEM’s, and I didn’t like the large volume steps. Also when switching from FLAC to MQA tracks on Tidal, I would get a loud popping sound that would pierce my ears. Another issue with S1 was EFI.

Edit: I use an iPhone 12 Pro Max as the source

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back