Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM discussion thread
Apr 23, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #916 of 8,024
No no you hate it...and the new Mason will be so much better. Keep telling yourself that!
Whispers from deep down the rabbits hole.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #917 of 8,024
From deep down the rabbits hole.
That's right! I have toyed with getting this before the increase, but it means another review to do. I was such a big Erlkonig fan, that I am sure I will also love the Trailli.

Apr 23, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #918 of 8,024
That's right! I have toyed with getting this before the increase, but it means another review to do. I was such a big Erlkonig fan, that I am sure I will also love the Trailli.
What are you waiting for? You deserve it, don’t you?

1619184571377.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #919 of 8,024
Review or $6600...hmm.

🌝

Apr 23, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #924 of 8,024
Hmmm, well you can get it from Musicteck right now for 5k. So could be 1600 increase actually :wink:
And if you do not like it, selling it after it is $6,600.00 will possibly be less of a loss, if any loss at all. But as you said you will probably love it.

Apr 23, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #925 of 8,024
Guys, you need to check out the HQPlayer free demo, just checked that with my DCA's and it improves staging and airiness a lot :D Now I would really love to borrow Trailliis again lol

Apr 23, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #926 of 8,024
Trailli has been arrived in my hands:

I had considered and finally decided to purchase the bird, as I was fully convinced by the reports of Toaster and Frankie_D, and Frankie_D’s personal suggestions. Besides, I had also read numerous detailed reports of other colleagues. Certainly, I got a great opportunity to be in contact with Andrew from Musicteck. I would like to express my appreciation to all services and full consideration, especially his friendliness and patience with me. As a result, the whole order process went smoothly.

Now to Trailli itself:
Practically, I paired the bird with SP2000 and played music files via Qobuz App and from SP2000’s storage. In this respect, Additionally, I played music files via SP2000 as roon endpoint. The music I played was classical, jazz music, and music from neighboring genres. I truly enjoyed Shostakovich (Michael Sanderling), Mahler (MT Thomas), Bruckner (Gergiev), and Beethoven (Rattle) symphonies as well as Igor Levit playing Beethoven piano concertos and piano sonatas.
Since I had no chance to listen to Trailli before I ordered it from Andrew, I had to rely on the reports about its sound characteristics from head-fi.org. Therewith, I got ideas and impressions how Trailli would sound. Honestly speaking, I had no doubt after the first 20 h listening the music with Trailli. It confirmed me that my decision was right indeed.

Why?
While I was listening to the music with Trailli, the iem disappeared due to its very open sound and vast soundstage. With certain tracks this vast soundstage can be increased to a holographic presentation. I found that Trailli’s sound allows for a high detail retrieval and sounds brighter than Erlkönig, but its sound is also characterized as natural and very musical and sounds close to live music. In my personal opinion, this combination of a high level of detail retrieval and impressing musicality is absolutely incredible. In contrast, Erlkönig has more weight in its notes and a warmer timbre, which is disadvantageous with symphonic and orchestral music in general towards Trailli. The presentation of piano sound is important for me and I found that both of them sound phenomenally with piano music. In fact, I actually prefer Erlkönig’s relatively thicker sound for piano presentation, however Trailli can play it excellently too. In comparison to Erlkönig, Traillli’s brighter sound characteristics does not imply its thin sounding. Trailli’s treble, mids, and bass are excellent. I am impressed by Trailli’s distinct coherence over the whole frequency spectrum.

I would summarize that Trailli is neutral, musical and has a wonderful timbre. Erlkönig is less neutral, has more warmth and is a bit more emotionally playing

Apr 23, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #927 of 8,024
Trailli has been arrived in my hands:

I had considered and finally decided to purchase the bird, as I was fully convinced by the reports of Toaster and Frankie_D, and Frankie_D’s personal suggestions. Besides, I had also read numerous detailed reports of other colleagues. Certainly, I got a great opportunity to be in contact with Andrew from Musicteck. I would like to express my appreciation to all services and full consideration, especially his friendliness and patience with me. As a result, the whole order process went smoothly.

Now to Trailli itself:
Practically, I paired the bird with SP2000 and played music files via Qobuz App and from SP2000’s storage. In this respect, Additionally, I played music files via SP2000 as roon endpoint. The music I played was classical, jazz music, and music from neighboring genres. I truly enjoyed Shostakovich (Michael Sanderling), Mahler (MT Thomas), Bruckner (Gergiev), and Beethoven (Rattle) symphonies as well as Igor Levit playing Beethoven piano concertos and piano sonatas.
Since I had no chance to listen to Trailli before I ordered it from Andrew, I had to rely on the reports about its sound characteristics from head-fi.org. Therewith, I got ideas and impressions how Trailli would sound. Honestly speaking, I had no doubt after the first 20 h listening the music with Trailli. It confirmed me that my decision was right indeed.

Why?
While I was listening to the music with Trailli, the iem disappeared due to its very open sound and vast soundstage. With certain tracks this vast soundstage can be increased to a holographic presentation. I found that Trailli’s sound allows for a high detail retrieval and sounds brighter than Erlkönig, but its sound is also characterized as natural and very musical and sounds close to live music. In my personal opinion, this combination of a high level of detail retrieval and impressing musicality is absolutely incredible. In contrast, Erlkönig has more weight in its notes and a warmer timbre, which is disadvantageous with symphonic and orchestral music in general towards Trailli. The presentation of piano sound is important for me and I found that both of them sound phenomenally with piano music. In fact, I actually prefer Erlkönig’s relatively thicker sound for piano presentation, however Trailli can play it excellently too. In comparison to Erlkönig, Traillli’s brighter sound characteristics does not imply its thin sounding. Trailli’s treble, mids, and bass are excellent. I am impressed by Trailli’s distinct coherence over the whole frequency spectrum.

I would summarize that Trailli is neutral, musical and has a wonderful timbre. Erlkönig is less neutral, has more warmth and is a bit more emotionally playing
Exactly how I heard Bird versus Erlky. Opposite, excellent compliments.

Welcome to the flock!

Apr 24, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #930 of 8,024
I've had these for over a month and I'm still sticking these in my ear everyday with a smile.

I've mostly been using Dethonray Honey H1, Hugo 1, Fiio M15, iFi Pro iDSD. For fun I tried it briefly with Mscaler/Dave. They all sound good but I'm finding myself reaching for Honey most of the time because the combo seems most engaging and involving. All using Roon streaming Tidal and my FLAC and DSD files except for M15 and NW-ZX 507 using UAPP. It even sounds good out of my LG V60.

The holographic sound is larger with the Chords and M15 but the Honey still sounds holographic but on a smaller scale. I usually listen at a lower volume than most but I have some IEMs/headphones that want to be cranked. The good thing is you don't need to crank these to have them come to life but I'm often wanting to listen to these louder than with other IEMs. Maybe it's because I enjoy the bass so much or because they react in a coherent and expected linear fashion with volume changes? They whisper to me 'just turn the dial up one step.' I can't crank them much on the M15 as it gets bright for my liking.

Pop and modern music shines on this. Electronic music can get haunting. Vocals and instrument timbre sounds right to me. All genres I tried sound good, so to have such a technically capable and deeply engaging all-rounder is a different experience for me. It's not an exotic flavor enhancing certain aspects by making tradeoffs with good general technical abilities. I even enjoy older, not so well produced music a lot, unlike say with Utopia.

It's an easy going relaxed listen that can hit you over the head in a tasteful and sneaky way. The stage is decently large in all dimensions and imaging is precise. Layering is great on the most complex music. Listening to voice harmonies is a treat. It's a very coherent and integrated and layered sound. It seriously draws me into the music and analysis mode quickly transitions into passive enjoyment mode. What people say about the bass of these is true. BA bass was good on U12T but this is at another level. I am a tiny bit sensitive to EST upper mid/treble but have no issues here. It gets plenty sparkly/vivid up top with finesse and tasteful control and restraint. The mids have great texture and there is a little something extra special about male voices.

I don't have a problem with the microphonics of the cable but I use other PW 1960 cables and have learned to live with it. I can see it being too much for people on the go. No zippered tops and I'm ok. The gold plating on the pentagon plug is chipping off already though.

The shells are small and light. I think these would fit most people without any discomfort. I like light IEMs but the cable is not considered minimal so as a package I would not consider this light/on-the-go friendly.

I started with the stock tips and liked them. Then I tried my usual favorite tips - Azla Light Short, Azla Xelastec, Symbio F&W, among others. Stocks had the largest diameter opening. I preferred the Xelastec for a while because the bass seemed to change in a good way for me but they take longer to seat into my ears perfectly and when I move around they feel like they might lose their seal but never do. The stocks have a soft silicone and I can pop them in and out quickly and I never feel like I'll break the seal when moving around. They are the most comfortable for long sessions.

Even when I'm home I'm often using these over my RAAL SR1a system and Genelec 8351B speakers and I did not think that would happen. I'm not saying these are better than many high-end headphones but this is an IEM. The enjoyment factor is high on these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back