Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM discussion thread
May 16, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #1,471 of 8,027
Nevermind, I went and did it anyways lmao..

The-Maroon-Oriole-Traillii.jpg

May 16, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #1,472 of 8,027
nice work and could be well used as background pic for DAPs :)

May 16, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #1,473 of 8,027
How do you think it compares to the Empyrean and Utopia? Tks.
Have all three. Closer to the Utopia. Re: Bird. Soundstage wider. Just as precise. More transparent, separation. Layer and detail on par if not a tad better. But more air. Utopia is more dynamic. Mids on the Bird are more laid back. Bit like the HD800S mids when the bird paired to the SP2000 but warmer and fuller out if the Hugo2. If Utopia and Hd800S procreated and IEM …it may be a bird. The bird isn’t as bright as the Utopia.

Empyrean isn’t quite the same league. Leather pads. The Empy is silkier. Detail separation isn’t the Empy’s strong point IMO compared to the bird, HD800S or Utopia.

Bass is well controlled and precise. It’s not the planar bass if the Empy. Closer to Utopia.

Bird needs a good seal to shine. I don’t insert deeply but seal well with the stock tips. Best not to overhype and just enjoy.

I’m rather picky with headphones but I very much enjoy the bird. It’s highly versatile and plays to any genre.

Last edited:
May 16, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #1,474 of 8,027
Have all three. Closer to the Utopia. Re: Bird. Soundstage wider. Just as precise. More transparent, separation. Layer and detail on par if not a tad better. But more air. Utopia is more dynamic. Mids on the Bird are more laid back. Bit like the HD800S mids when the bird paired to the SP2000 but warmer and fuller out if the Hugo2. If Utopia and Hd800S procreated and IEM …it may be a bird. The bird isn’t as bright as the Utopia.

Empyrean isn’t quite the same league. Leather pads. The Empy is silkier. Detail separation isn’t the Empy’s strong point IMO compared to the bird, HD800S or Utopia.

Bass is well controlled and precise. It’s not the planar bass if the Empy. Closer to Utopia.

Bird needs a good seal to shine. I don’t insert deeply but seal well with the stock tips. Best not to overhype and just enjoy.

I’m rather picky with headphones but I very much enjoy the bird. It’s highly versatile and plays to any genre.
Crazy to even be in the same convo with those kinds of headphones.

May 16, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #1,475 of 8,027
May 16, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #1,478 of 8,027

Thanks for your thoughts. I do have an Empy and overall I would still say it is superior to the bird out of my N8. There are times though, that I prefer my Erlk and the Traillii. What I do not know is how they will all compare if I ever got a top desk top setup. Many HP guys are saying the Empyreans will continued to scale up. That is why I was asking.

Plus I have been contemplating a Utopia or maybe Abyss in the future. I don’t know if I will ever pull the trigger, but quite often now my ears get irritated with IEM’s. It has nothing to do with the Traillii. Any IEM. So I have to limit their use. I also dislike the fit of HP’s in general. Hopefully it goes away.

Last edited:
May 16, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #1,479 of 8,027
Thanks for your thoughts. I do have an Empy and overall I would still say it is superior to the bird out of my N8. There are times though, that I prefer my Erlk and the Traillii. What I do not know is how they will all compare if I ever got a top desk top setup. Many HP guys are saying the Empyreans will continued to scale up. That is why I was asking.

Plus I have been contemplating a Utopia or maybe Abyss in the future. I don’t know if I will ever pull the trigger, but quite often now my ears get irritated with IEM’s. It has nothing to do with the Traillii. Any IEM. So I have to limit their use. I also dislike the fit of HP’s in general. Hopefully it goes away.
IEM’s irritate you and you generally dislike the fit of headphones. Sheesh man, tough luck in this hobby.

Sounds like you need a sound / music room. Ungodly expensive unfortunately.

Edit: I have heard 1266 TC before... those things are all business. Very very impressive all around.

Last edited:
May 16, 2021 at 10:13 PM Post #1,480 of 8,027
IEM’s irritate you and you generally dislike the fit of headphones. Sheesh man, tough luck in this hobby.

Sounds like you need a sound / music room. Ungodly expensive unfortunately.

Edit: I have heard 1266 TC before... those things are all business. Very very impressive all around.
Probably too much in and out of of my ears. It will go away.

I have a stereo sound system. That is my main system. IEM’s are fun though and they can travel.

May 17, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #1,481 of 8,027
Bird has landed.
For first impressions I just started listing some MQA Master tracks on M8 Tidal.
Omg, details, layering are putting my Denon AH-D9200 Full Size cans to shame.
Feels a bit like notes are plastically touchable whereas on the Denons they were smoothed out and presented in one layer, now having many different layers.
Bass nice rounded punchy, less impact than my Full Size cans but the overall image on Traillii is so realistic and layered that it feels like the Denons are having like a Lullaby presentation where I don't want to concentrate on the details.
Female voices are more forward on the bird without getting too striking but definitely more than I am used to.
Higher male voices in contrast sound a bit recessed in comparison.
Very large stage - you guys know all of this anyway.

Edit: no comfort issues, using stock tips and they fit like a glove - I am lucky as it seems, not feeling the need to do tip rolling yet.
just quickly doing quick A-B L&P W2 vs M8, M8 is having fuller mids and mid bass punch, whereas W2 feels a tad more revealing to upper mids onwards and feeling leaner.
Immersive stage and holography on both especially with new good recordings.
It's like the artist is standing next to you, incredibly realistic.
Seems I will really need to think over which gear I am going to keep after this experience...

Last edited:
May 17, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #1,482 of 8,027
Bird has landed.
For first impressions I just started listing some MQA Master tracks on M8 Tidal.
Feels a bit like notes are plastically touchable whereas on the Denons they were smoothed out and presented in one layer, now having many different layers.
Bass nice rounded punchy, less impact than my Full Size cans but the overall image on Traillii is so realistic and layered that it feels like the Denons are having like a Lullaby presentation where I don't want to concentrate on the details.
Female voices are more forward on the bird without getting too striking but definitely more than I am used to.
I'm jealous you have them before me, haha... Enjoy!

Tomorrow, I hope ... :)

Edit: different route than normal... Longer I'm afraid..

Last edited:
May 17, 2021 at 8:12 AM Post #1,483 of 8,027
I’m too hung over to function so today is a lazy day with these babies. The sub bass on this song is incredible.

This song's feel suits its album title. Cool suggestion. Treble got a chance to show its airiness too

By the way, I also got a chance to try the Percivali today at the store, and I can tell it's no slouch either. It's understandable how the Traillii got that sound tuned from upon hearing the Percivali. They share similar character in overall sound signature. It's amazing how Oriolus managed to tune their IEMs without losing balance in the mids and despite their heavy bass. Percivali having DD bass, and Traillii with its magic BA working for their sub/lows. Shows that having good bass doesn't always have to sacrifice mids.

Last edited:
May 17, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #1,484 of 8,027
This song's feel suits its album title. Cool suggestion. Treble got a chance to show its airiness too

By the way, I also got a chance to try the Percivali today at the store, and I can tell it's no slouch either. It's understandable how the Traillii got that sound tuned from upon hearing the Percivali. They share similar character in overall sound signature. It's amazing how Oriolus managed to tune their IEMs without losing balance in the mids and despite their heavy bass. Percivali having DD bass, and Traillii with its magic BA working for their sub/lows. Shows that having good bass doesn't always have to sacrifice mids.

Seems the Traillii has solved a couple niggles that have plagued all other IEMs, and now thrown the gauntlet down, other manufacturers are going to adapt, interesting to see examples like Unique Melody on a different path also pushing and refining.

Listening right now to my P6P and the Bird, Joshua Redman track Corouge, everything is so immersive, nothing to not like, zero fatigue, hard to imagine anything could ever top this.

May 17, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #1,485 of 8,027
Bird has landed.
Only gets better

Users who are viewing this thread

Back