Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM discussion thread
Sep 12, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #4,801 of 8,061
Listening to Infected Mushroom, not sure what box you want to place them in. Oh wait, let me clear it up by Wiki definition, Psychedelic trance, electro house, electronica, dream trance, electronic rock, glitch hop, classical music, industrial, experimental, progressive psytrance. Anyway Traillii thumps and sounds amazing with Infected Mushroom but with an IEM such as Valk MK2 takes it to an entirely different level of boom.

Sep 12, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #4,802 of 8,061
Listening to Infected Mushroom, not sure what box you want to place them in. Oh wait, let me clear it up by Wiki definition, Psychedelic trance, electro house, electronica, dream trance, electronic rock, glitch hop, classical music, industrial, experimental, progressive psytrance. Anyway Traillii thumps and sounds amazing with Infected Mushroom but with an IEM such as Valk MK2 takes to an entirely different level of boom.
Agreed, that is a good example of where the Traillii does very well, but a DD IEM is simply a better fit for the music, IMHO.

Sep 12, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #4,803 of 8,061
Was there ever a playlist created for Traillii? I've seen this on other threads, great finding music that others enjoy and often I've never heard before.

Sep 12, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #4,805 of 8,061
Still on the E track, I personally prefer electronic jazz than EDM. Give it a spin —

Nice, I know a few in there but lots I don't - cheers! I love upbeat jazzy electronic music.

Sep 12, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #4,806 of 8,061
Nonsense. Traillii was tuned specifically for EPM, not EDM - Electronic Polka Music :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sep 12, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #4,807 of 8,061
Nonsense. Traillii was tuned specifically for EPM, not EDM - Electronic Polka Music :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Stunning... I must play that during Sunday family dinner later 😁

Sep 12, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #4,808 of 8,061
Sunday morning walk with my dog, had me pondering...

I'm always curious when I read the term 'EDM'. I know it stands for 'Electronic Dance Music' but it's a relatively new (maybe 20 years but in the scheme of things...) description to capture a few genres of electronic music I guess. I would rarely, if ever, hear the term in Ireland or the UK - it was definitely a US-born term that has grown legs to other countries (I only know this from reading it mentioned here and elsewhere online). So, for those who listen to EDM, what does it mean? - is it mostly club oriented music, so maybe house, techno, trance etc? When I google it, some hits suggest it captures everything from ambient to trance and house in between - others more around clubbing/dancefloor music only.

When I say 'electronic music', that is as broad as one might assume - i.e. any music made using synths, drum machines, computers etc (or indeed incorporates a mix of instruments in there too)... so that could be ambient, krautrock, downtempo, house, disco, techno, synth-pop, R&B, trip hop to name a few - and of course plenty of these genres have their own sub-genres. In this 'electronic' pot, there could be Depeche Mode, Brian Eno, Kraftwerk, Massive Attack along with Orbital, Aphex Twin, The Orb, Carl Craig, Underworld etc etc.

For a broad 'electronic music' tag (allowing for my above description), I feel Traillii performs incredibly well and the best my recovering ears have heard. If I take some example of techno even, it is absolutely stunning... this track I guess could be described as atmospheric/dark techno - so while you have the typical 4/4 kickdrums, there is a lot more going on within the mid-ranges and where a DD might allow some more density in the kickdrums (I'm increasingly thinking this is marginal tbh), the Bird strengths elsewhere absolutely more than make up for it - there are a lot of intricate details brought out beautifully.

So is EDM clubbing music, or broader?!
"Dance" is doing a lot of work in "EDM" I think. I mean...I have a similar take as yours: I listen to a ton of electronic, but very little of it I would call "danceable" hahahaha. LOTS of ambient, dub-tech; some techno. But sure, also some house and trance, which frankly, as a non-dancer, I don't find very danceable either for the most part (at least the stuff I listen to). I think "Club" should be it's own thing, YMMV.

Sep 12, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #4,809 of 8,061
Electronic is as bad as Metal when it comes to micro genres. "Doom sludge trance dance black acid house" What?!
Completely irrelevant naming. But I guess its special feeling to have only 6 groups in your fav genre category.
What thread is this again?

Sep 12, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #4,810 of 8,061
"Dance" is doing a lot of work in "EDM" I think. I mean...I have a similar take as yours: I listen to a ton of electronic, but very little of it I would call "danceable" hahahaha. LOTS of ambient, dub-tech; some techno. But sure, also some house and trance, which frankly, as a non-dancer, I don't find very danceable either for the most part (at least the stuff I listen to). I think "Club" should be it's own thing, YMMV.

With age my attention to faster electronic music, I.e. beyond 125bpm or so is diminishing... I guess as I'm just not in those environments (clubs, raves, DJing etc, ahhh...) anymore and more inclined to listen to slower stuff, like you that includes dub or ambient techno, ambient and IDM (there's a term that has divided folks if there ever was one but for easy reference purposes!). Nostalgia at times brings me back to the good old days of faster music but rather fleeting - often due to missing that period of life in my late teens/early 20s!

Anyway, best get back to Traillii discussion...

Sep 12, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #4,811 of 8,061
Any discussion about Traillii’s strengths or weaknesses around specific genres/subgenres is totally relevant in this thread IMO.

I just recently rediscovered some electronic that I even felt Elixir was better suited for (because of the DD) than Traillii for the low end. But nothing touches T for my overall preferences with how consistently it performs across a variety of genres I listen to. I think it’s the coherency, layering and most importantly, timbre that makes it special for me.

Sep 12, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #4,812 of 8,061
Yeah I thought the 'dance' bit was self explanatory alright but then I wondered given my lack of knowledge of the term was I missing something! It does seem to capture lots of sub-genres of electronic music I've loved for years, all of which make you at least want to tap your foot or even better, hit the dance floor - good old days in my case!

Agreed though, it's very useful to understand different genre names when seeking out more music like it. Electronic is so vast, even house music for example has so many categories, not to mention how it can cross over to techno also.

Anyway, I enjoy discovering new music with likeminded people, all the more when a common theme of how we listen to it! And as noted, in this context with Traillii, it helps me identify and understand what other owners appreciate of its strengths and weaknesses.

Search earlier in this thread for @aaf evo ’s post on some of the music he listens to. I actually created a playlist so I can follow what he is talking about. I do feel that his selection works very well on Traillii. I don’t know if EDM is a name for it :sweat_smile:

I’m complete opposite and like raw instruments/voice - no time quantization & auto-tune - well, most of the time. While Traillii doesn’t have the thickness, intimacy, or rawness of U18s/Oriolus Mk2, it brings lot of joy with it’s spaciousness and resolution. Thanks to Orphy, it becomes much more organic and suitable for my taste. :yum:

Music discovery is definitely big part of this hobby!

Sep 15, 2021 at 2:40 AM Post #4,813 of 8,061
I went offline for few days and I was expecting different updates on this thread than @aaf evo leaving the flock!
Yet, it makes me even more impatient to receive my X, however it is really taking long.
I hope Oriolus will find a way to get you back!

Sep 15, 2021 at 6:36 AM Post #4,814 of 8,061
Hey folks,

new traillii owner here. Just want to leave some impressions that can maybe help others to assess if the traillii is worth trying out or not.

1631701592180.png

Background
I listen to a variety of modern music but not classic and metal. (e.g. yello, agnes obel, kimyan law, dua lipa). Also sometimes to soundtracks.
I bought the traillii to see what all the hype is about. It was more of an experiment rather than reading reviews and being totally convinced.

Bass
The bass is definitely one of the better BA bass implementations out there. It allows to hear some nuances and also has texture to a certain degree to it. Can it compete with TOTL DD bass like the one of the Odin? Unfortunately not. There is still quite a gap. But what bothers me personally the most is that the subbass is quite elevated and the bass itself bleeds a tiny bit into the mids. If it was a very good bass I would maybe have no complains about it, but why elevate the bass when its average? But luckily you don't notice it on a lot of tracks, at least not in my playlist. The bass is definitely the weakest part of the traillii.

Mids
The lower mids are warm as said before due to the bass bleed. Before I got the traillii I was quite worried about the upper mids peak (2-4KHZ) as this is what made me sell my Odin. Luckily the traillii has no "nasal" or "radio" effect there and is not fatiguing for people who are sensitive to this. The mids in general are really beautiful, especially voices.

Treble
The EST driver implementation on the traillii is fantastic! Really. Instruments and tones have a quite a physical body to them that you can feel. Layering and texture in the treble is addictive. Nothing is harsh or sibilant but still very very clear. (a must listen: The Universe - Hiroyuki Sawano)

Detail retrieval
Detail retrieval in the bass region is average as already mentioned. Mids are quite detailed, but I would also say the Odin has the edge here. The treble is very detailed, I think the best treble detail I have heard in any IEM. The EST drivers do a really good job. The quickness in the treble presentation adds to this.

What makes the traillii special?
Now coming to the most important part. What's the hype about? I think there are multiple aspects why the traillii is quite special. I have ordered them according from what wowed me the most to the least.

First: You can nearly throw anything at the traillii and it will play it nicely. I have quite some tracks where a certain part of the track or some instruments or tones are crucial for me that I can enjoy that track and "bring it to life". And I have headphones that do it for certain tracks and others for other tracks. But none of them can do it for all of my tracks. But so far the traillii appears to do it for nearly everything, not always better than my other headphones, but very conistently on a high level. Also it doesn't destroy bad recordings. I haven't seen this quality in a lot of headphones.

Then there is the immense soundstage. I have the AB-1266 and had the HD800S so I am aware of how a wide and big soundstage sounds like. But the sound stage of the traillii sounds "magical". While the sound stage of the AB-1266 or HD800S is wide and there is "space" between the instruments and tones (or some call it maybe black background), or the ZMF VC has the reverb, the traillii fills it with a certain "magical" sphere that sounds very pleasing and musical.

As also mentioned, I'm quite a fan of the traillii treble. It's really addictive. (a must listen: The Universe - Hiroyuki Sawano)

The trailli manages to produce a quite balanced and natural sounding mild v-shape (bass elevation is too much for me as stated before). This allows the traillii to produce an exciting sound compared to something like the neutral QDC VX or U12T (which sound boring to me), but still gives you the impression that its quite natural. But it is not a studio monitor. If you look at its frequency graph you will see some dips and elevations, it's not meant to be dead neutral.

Pricing
Is it worth the price? As always this is a personal decision and certain aspects that are important for you can maybe make it worth the price. For me personally I would consider the traillii as a sidegrade to something like the Odin. This would be the price bracket I would see the traillii in. If the trailli had the bass of the Odin, it would be another story for me.

Sep 15, 2021 at 6:56 AM Post #4,815 of 8,061
Hey folks,

new traillii owner here. Just want to leave some impressions that can maybe help others to assess if the traillii is worth trying out or not.

Background
I listen to a variety of modern music but not classic and metal. (e.g. yello, agnes obel, kimyan law, dua lipa). Also sometimes to soundtracks.
I bought the traillii to see what all the hype is about. It was more of an experiment rather than reading reviews and being totally convinced.

Bass
The bass is definitely one of the better BA bass implementations out there. It allows to hear some nuances and also has texture to a certain degree to it. Can it compete with TOTL DD bass like the one of the Odin? Unfortunately not. There is still quite a gap. But what bothers me personally the most is that the subbass is quite elevated and the bass itself bleeds a tiny bit into the mids. If it was a very good bass I would maybe have no complains about it, but why elevate the bass when its average? But luckily you don't notice it on a lot of tracks, at least not in my playlist. The bass is definitely the weakest part of the traillii.

Mids
The lower mids are warm as said before due to the bass bleed. Before I got the traillii I was quite worried about the upper mids peak (2-4KHZ) as this is what made me sell my Odin. Luckily the traillii has no "nasal" or "radio" effect there and is not fatiguing for people who are sensitive to this. The mids in general are really beautiful, especially voices.

Treble
The EST driver implementation on the traillii is fantastic! Really. Instruments and tones have a quite a physical body to them that you can feel. Layering and texture in the treble is addictive. Nothing is harsh or sibilant but still very very clear. (a must listen: The Universe - Hiroyuki Sawano)

Detail retrieval
Detail retrieval in the bass region is average as already mentioned. Mids are quite detailed, but I would also say the Odin has the edge here. The treble is very detailed, I think the best treble detail I have heard in any IEM. The EST drivers do a really good job. The quickness in the treble presentation adds to this.

What makes the traillii special?
Now coming to the most important part. What's the hype about? I think there are multiple aspects why the traillii is quite special. I have ordered them according from what wowed me the most to the least.

First: You can nearly throw anything at the traillii and it will play it nicely. I have quite some tracks where a certain part of the track or some instruments or tones are crucial for me that I can enjoy that track and "bring it to life". And I have headphones that do it for certain tracks and others for other tracks. But none of them can do it for all of my tracks. But so far the traillii appears to do it for nearly everything, not always better than my other headphones, but very conistently on a high level. Also it doesn't destroy bad recordings. I haven't seen this quality in a lot of headphones.

Then there is the immense soundstage. I have the AB-1266 and had the HD800S so I am aware of how a wide and big soundstage sounds like. But the sound stage of the traillii sounds "magical". While the sound stage of the AB-1266 or HD800S is wide and there is "space" between the instruments and tones (or some call it maybe black background), or the ZMF VC has the reverb, the traillii fills it with a certain "magical" sphere that sounds very pleasing and musical.

As also mentioned, I'm quite a fan of the traillii treble. It's really addictive. (a must listen: The Universe - Hiroyuki Sawano)

The trailli manages to produce a quite balanced and natural sounding mild v-shape (bass elevation is too much for me as stated before). This allows the traillii to produce an exciting sound compared to something like the neutral QDC VX or U12T (which sound boring to me), but still gives you the impression that its quite natural. But it is not a studio monitor. If you look at its frequency graph you will see some dips and elevations, it's not meant to be dead neutral.

Pricing
Is it worth the price? As always this is a personal decision and certain aspects that are important for you can maybe make it worth the price. For me personally I would consider the traillii as a sidegrade to something like the Odin. This would be the price bracket I would see the traillii in. If the trailli had the bass of the Odin, it would be another story for me.
Great objective write-up!

On the bass side, interesting observations. I have found it to be quite terrific, in particular the way it does sub-bass, and compared to the other very good BA bass implementations (which tend to lean toward midbass punch as opposed). I can concur though that in comparison to certain IEMs the sub-bass can feel elevated, such as when I go straight from the Isabellae to the Traillii (who added the woofer to the room?! 🙃 )

I have not found the bass to change much with burn in. But have found marked variances depending on the tip used. Are you using just the stock tips? For example if I use the SednaEarFit (short or regular) bass becomes tighter and punchier, with less of the warmth (or bloat, depending on how you perceive it). Treble can become sharper with the tips though. I find the Acoustune AET07 a perfect complement to the bird, providing that extra sense of control and tautness in the bass region while maintaining smoothness and detail in the upper registers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back