Oriolus Szalayi IEM discussion thread
Oct 13, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #661 of 736
So.... I've bought and sold many IEMs, including several TOTL IEMs, and quite frankly I consider the IMR Titan to be the best IEM I've ever heard, which I still own and will never, ever sell. It has a sense of accuracy and realism that I haven't heard in any other IEM from any manufacturer. The resolution, staging, depth, and bass texture and impact are all so far above any other IEM I've heard, it's really in a different league. And it's not even close. To me, it is acoustic perfection.

So tell me... WHY am I addicted to my Szalayi??? The imaging and separation are incredible, with a superb bass impact and adequate resolution that supports a HUGE stage. It's exciting, enveloping, impactful, yet accurate and incredibly clear all at the same time. It's just such a fun IEM that I enjoy listening to it 90% of the time, compared to what I consider to be a much "better" IEM (Titan).

Not sure why, but I'm hopelessly devoted... to..... you....

I need help.

The answer, of course, is that IEMs can't be judged simply on frequency response graphs, bass/mids/treble response, or soundstage width/height/depth. There's an intangible quality to the sound that grabs you and captures your attention. The Szalayi just has "it". A unique blend of bass impact, soundstage realism, spatial cues, imaging and layering, and remarkable tuning that just engages the listener. It really is spectacular. I only wish Oriolus decided to produce a Szalayi Mk II. I would stand in the long line and wait for it.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2023 at 4:19 AM Post #662 of 736
So.... I've bought and sold many IEMs, including several TOTL IEMs, and quite frankly I consider the IMR Titan to be the best IEM I've ever heard, which I still own and will never, ever sell. It has a sense of accuracy and realism that I haven't heard in any other IEM from any manufacturer. The resolution, staging, depth, and bass texture and impact are all so far above any other IEM I've heard, it's really in a different league. And it's not even close. To me, it is acoustic perfection.

So tell me... WHY am I addicted to my Szalayi??? The imaging and separation are incredible, with a superb bass impact and adequate resolution that supports a HUGE stage. It's exciting, enveloping, impactful, yet accurate and incredibly clear all at the same time. It's just such a fun IEM that I enjoy listening to it 90% of the time, compared to what I consider to be a much "better" IEM (Titan).

I need help.

The answer, of course, is that IEMs can't be judged simply on frequency response graphs, bass/mids/treble response, or soundstage width/height/depth. There's an intangible quality to the sound that grabs you and captures your attention. The Szalayi just has "it". A unique blend of bass impact, soundstage realism, spatial cues, imaging and layering, and remarkable tuning that just engages the listener. It really is spectacular. I only wish Oriolus decided to produce a Szalayi Mk II. I would stand in the long line and wait for it.
Why would you want Mk2 if you enjoy the Szalayi so much as it is? 😊

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #663 of 736

I need help.

I agree 100% with you although as I said I find for me the original cable can be improved.
The main thing is to put the right tips for oriolus,then the headphone flies.
As you consider Mmr the top for you I find Noble Audio Kublai Khann the top for me.
Despite though I find KK superior to Szalayi I always listen to her.
Magical sound,best bass heard to date, perfect fit, excellent spatiality; I listen to it from jazz to metal always with great satisfaction.
Only flaw is that it is a headphone not so easy to drive;I with the Gryphon ifi get to 90 out of 100 volume, but it is also true that I listen at improper volumes 😂.

Oct 15, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #664 of 736
I agree 100% with you although as I said I find for me the original cable can be improved.
The main thing is to put the right tips for oriolus,then the headphone flies.
As you consider Mmr the top for you I find Noble Audio Kublai Khann the top for me.
Despite though I find KK superior to Szalayi I always listen to her.
Magical sound,best bass heard to date, perfect fit, excellent spatiality; I listen to it from jazz to metal always with great satisfaction.
Only flaw is that it is a headphone not so easy to drive;I with the Gryphon ifi get to 90 out of 100 volume, but it is also true that I listen at improper volumes 😂.

Even after RN6 and Fitear DC i'm still having a hard time finding a more addicting bass than Szalayi's. Got the Maestro Mini too, which has more subbass but less everything else. 😅

Oct 19, 2023 at 9:07 PM Post #665 of 736
Finally after 5 years of covid and other circumstances I'll be in back in Japan for 2 weeks in December/January. I'm going to be foot to the floor, maximizing every moment of those 2 weeks, so I know when I hit e earphone I'll be totally overwhelmed and overstimulated making a choice for iems so I am trying to compile a list of potentials to hopefully simplify the process.
The last trip had me reluctantly replace the ill-fitting XBA-Z5 with the original Oriolus (mk1), which served me very well for a couple of years before I got my IER-Z1R. When I upgraded from the WM1A to a WM1Z, for some reason I just didn't like the mk1/1Z synergy and something in the upper mids or lower treble turned me off them so I sold them.
You can't really tell until you actually demo, but from reading feedback the Szalayi sound right up my alley. Are the shells the same size as either the mk1, or mk2, which I think we're slightly smaller?
Is anyone able to compare to the XBA-Z5 as they seem to be described as having a similar signature? I have since repurchased them twice as a warmer signature to the IER-Z1R, but I'm selling again as as I found they leak sound and disturb my partner in bed and I prefer a lower profile fit than the Frankenstein USB stick design.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #667 of 736
Dec 7, 2023 at 5:51 AM Post #668 of 736
Dec 7, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #669 of 736
Finally after 5 years of covid and other circumstances I'll be in back in Japan for 2 weeks in December/January. I'm going to be foot to the floor, maximizing every moment of those 2 weeks, so I know when I hit e earphone I'll be totally overwhelmed and overstimulated making a choice for iems so I am trying to compile a list of potentials to hopefully simplify the process.
The last trip had me reluctantly replace the ill-fitting XBA-Z5 with the original Oriolus (mk1), which served me very well for a couple of years before I got my IER-Z1R. When I upgraded from the WM1A to a WM1Z, for some reason I just didn't like the mk1/1Z synergy and something in the upper mids or lower treble turned me off them so I sold them.
You can't really tell until you actually demo, but from reading feedback the Szalayi sound right up my alley. Are the shells the same size as either the mk1, or mk2, which I think we're slightly smaller?
Is anyone able to compare to the XBA-Z5 as they seem to be described as having a similar signature? I have since repurchased them twice as a warmer signature to the IER-Z1R, but I'm selling again as as I found they leak sound and disturb my partner in bed and I prefer a lower profile fit than the Frankenstein USB stick design.
Hi! The shells are definitely bigger than the Mk2 (I have both), by quite a bit actually. And from memory the XBA-Z5 sounded fuller and a bit more recessed in the treble than the Szalayi. Szalayi takes the mids a bit back and extends to both ends (though it does not sound sharp at all). More in a similar direction as Z1R than Z5.
But again, that is just from memory. :sweat_smile:

Dec 7, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #670 of 736
Hi! The shells are definitely bigger than the Mk2 (I have both), by quite a bit actually. And from memory the XBA-Z5 sounded fuller and a bit more recessed in the treble than the Szalayi. Szalayi takes the mids a bit back and extends to both ends (though it does not sound sharp at all). More in a similar direction as Z1R than Z5.
But again, that is just from memory. :sweat_smile:
Hello, once again you offer a reply to one of my posts, thank you (the first one was about the Unique Melody Macbeth many moons ago).
My ears are small, but with some slight manipulation I could fit the MK1, fingers crossed for the Szalayi.
For signature, I will just have to give them a go and see if it aligns with my tastes - I'll try the MK2/Reborn too, maybe I'll end up with them.

Dec 7, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #671 of 736
Hello, once again you offer a reply to one of my posts, thank you (the first one was about the Unique Melody Macbeth many moons ago).
My ears are small, but with some slight manipulation I could fit the MK1, fingers crossed for the Szalayi.
For signature, I will just have to give them a go and see if it aligns with my tastes - I'll try the MK2/Reborn too, maybe I'll end up with them.
I have small ears and yet the Szalayi are extremely comfortable!

Dec 7, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #672 of 736
Despite their size I find them to be quite comfortable. smooth, no weird angles on the shell. Stretch some final tips on the nozzle and be washed over by bass or go for something like the coreir brass tips and get improved separation and imaging while still being non-fatiguing. they don't slam like the Z1R but are my other favorite choice when I want to enjoy bass. also despite their specs I find that they love power. Definitely throwing them on when I get home from work

Dec 7, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #673 of 736
You are very welcome, of course I remember our conversation back in the days! :) Me, too, my ears are smallish...and my ear canal is short. That is why it definitely takes longer for me to adjust the Szalayi, compared to the MK2, and it falls out easier. But in the end it`s fine, as others have mentioned! Soundwise...these compliment eachother great - I am really happy I own both! Szalayi sounds a bit "splashier" while MK2 fuller. Though, me, personally, I slightly prefer the good old MK2 by a small margin (I might belong to a minority in this thread :sweat_smile: ). It just sounds a bit more "natural" to me. But I guess this is a question of taste and also depends on the musical genre. Let me know how you think about them, once you have tried! I guess there are several offers for used Szalayis @ E-Earphone! :) And oh, beware you have a relatively powerful source - the Szalayi for sure needs driving power (much more than the Mk2)!

Attachments

• tempImageLMkdsm.png
    tempImageLMkdsm.png
    8.8 MB · Views: 0
  • tempImageoGBoE0.png
    tempImageoGBoE0.png
    9.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 7, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #674 of 736
So.... I've bought and sold many IEMs, including several TOTL IEMs, and quite frankly I consider the IMR Titan to be the best IEM I've ever heard, which I still own and will never, ever sell.

I will likely put my Titan up for sale here, as I won't need both of them. So stay tuned, I guess.

:confused:

🤣

Dec 7, 2023 at 7:34 PM Post #675 of 736
Dude you're a joke. Why dice and slice my original post?? I specifically said that if the Enigma+ (IMR's successor to the Titan) proves to be BETTER than the Titan, then I won't need both of them and I may let the Titan go, because a lot of people want the Titan and can't get one.

Here is my original post from the IMR thread that you selectively cut and misrepresented:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/imr...es-impressions.938732/page-1030#post-17842049

Not sure what you were trying to accomplish, but it didn't work.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back