Oriolus Szalayi IEM discussion thread
Apr 22, 2023 at 11:57 PM Post #589 of 736
I like the sound of the reviews on the Evo. Do you have a Szalayi also? I'm curious why you would sell the Evo if it's a step up?
It is definitely a step up. Just changing flavors.
Yeah but the EVO is more than 3x's the cost of the SZA...:)
Yes but it's definitely worth it.
I'm still really shocked as to why the Szalayi isn't more popular. The performance is spectacular for the price. Great bass, tonality, detail and resolution, soundstage, imaging, super light and comfortable, and not overly expensive. I would say you probably need to spend more than double the price to get a noticeable improvement over the Szalayi.
Agreed on great bass, how ever in my opinion it is a little muddy and the sound tilt to the warmer bass side. So the trade off to good bass is the treble is not as shiny so to speak.
Depends on how much u get Szalayi, it could be a gd valued iem though.

Apr 23, 2023 at 8:09 PM Post #590 of 736
It is definitely a step up. Just changing flavors.

Yes but it's definitely worth it.

Agreed on great bass, how ever in my opinion it is a little muddy and the sound tilt to the warmer bass side. So the trade off to good bass is the treble is not as shiny so to speak.
Depends on how much u get Szalayi, it could be a gd valued iem though.
I too have both the Szalayi and Evo. When doing a direct comparison it's true that the Szalayi sounds a bit muffled but again that's only if I do a direct A/B. If I start a listening session with the Szalayi it's fantastic and I am carried away by it's performance... Especially paired with AK SP3000. The Szalayi wins in the comfort department for me so it gets 90% of my time. The Evo hurts my ears after about 20 minutes. I will be selling it. The Szalayi is a fantastic iem that's a lot of fun to spend time with.

Apr 23, 2023 at 8:55 PM Post #591 of 736
I just bought the oriolus reborn ltd (blue one Japanese) used & plan on buying the oriolus szalayi also. Anyone compared these ?
The oriolus reborn ltd hasn't arrived yet so im not even sure what that is like lol blind buy.
I just love the oriolus isabellae so much that I wanted to try the others.

Apr 23, 2023 at 9:49 PM Post #592 of 736
I just bought the oriolus reborn ltd (blue one Japanese) used & plan on buying the oriolus szalayi also. Anyone compared these ?
The oriolus reborn ltd hasn't arrived yet so im not even sure what that is like lol blind buy.
I just love the oriolus isabellae so much that I wanted to try the others.
Actually I have both (I just got the Szalayi very recently while owning and loving the Mk2/Reborn for many years). My first impression comparing these two is: If you are a fan of the Oriolus house sound, like me, then they complement eachother very well. I would describe both of them as full, very wide and euphoric sounding, they clearly share the same DNA. With both, focus is more on conveying emotions than on analysing the music in every little detail (though they are no sloughes in the detail department either). Bass with both of them has slower decay and gives you that really rumbly and quite physical feeling, while it seems very well separated from the rest, almost as if bass instruments are further away (I find that effect quite special and know only a few earphones that do it in a similar way).
Just the Szalayi has an even more elevated bass, it`s actually quite mighty (but not overdone imo). That changes the tonal balance and perception of mids and treble a bit. Mk2 is obviously more centered arround mids/vocals, while Szalayi seems to extend a bit further to both ends and keeps the vocals in line. In other words, Mk2 shines especially with vocal based tracks while Szalayi is perfect for electronic music. I am super happy that I own both now! :) (Just I don`t like the look of the Szalayi...looks terribly like a toy from a bubble gum vending machine...imo. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2023 at 11:09 PM Post #593 of 736
"Just I don`t like the look of the Szalayi...looks terribly like a toy from a bubble gum vending machine...imo."

I totally agree with you! Hope they come out with some alternative special editions... I'd be all over them

Apr 23, 2023 at 11:34 PM Post #594 of 736
"Just I don`t like the look of the Szalayi...looks terribly like a toy from a bubble gum vending machine...imo."

I totally agree with you! Hope they come out with some alternative special editions... I'd be all over them
😆👍👍👍

Apr 24, 2023 at 1:25 AM Post #595 of 736
Actually I have both (I just got the Szalayi very recently while owning and loving the Mk2/Reborn for many years). My first impression comparing these two is: If you are a fan of the Oriolus house sound, then they complement eachother very well. I would describe both of them as full, very wide and euphoric sounding, they clearly share the same DNA. With both, focus is more on conveying emotions than on analysing the music in every little detail (though they are no sloughes in the detail department either). Bass with both of them has slower decay and gives you that really rumbly and quite physical feeling, while it seems very well separated from the rest, almost as if bass instruments are further away (I find that effect quite special and know only a few earphones that do it in a similar way).
Just the Szalayi has an even more elevated bass, it`s actually quite mighty (but not overdone!). That changes the tonal balance and perception of mids and treble a bit. Mk2 is obviously more centered arround mids/vocals, while Szalayi seems to extend a bit further to both ends and keeps the vocals in line. In other words, Mk2 shines especially with vocal based tracks while Szalayi is perfect for electronic music. I am super happy that I own both now! :) (Just I don`t like the look of the Szalayi...looks terribly like a toy from a bubble gum vending machine...imo. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )
Thank you very much for your in depth description of the mk2 reborn but I think it is different to the reborn ltd isn't it ?
Apparently the ltd reborn has different BAs & the MMCX cable.

Apr 24, 2023 at 1:32 AM Post #596 of 736
I too have both the Szalayi and Evo. When doing a direct comparison it's true that the Szalayi sounds a bit muffled but again that's only if I do a direct A/B. If I start a listening session with the Szalayi it's fantastic and I am carried away by it's performance... Especially paired with AK SP3000. The Szalayi wins in the comfort department for me so it gets 90% of my time. The Evo hurts my ears after about 20 minutes. I will be selling it. The Szalayi is a fantastic iem that's a lot of fun to spend time with.
Agreed, plus Szalayi have a planar drive which requires more power and a bit of burn it to make the sound to another level.

Totally agree on the fit. Szalayi is super comfortable while evo is so big and it may not fit everyone

Apr 24, 2023 at 2:00 AM Post #597 of 736
Thank you very much for your in depth description of the mk2 reborn but I think it is different to the reborn ltd isn't it ?
Apparently the ltd reborn has different BAs & the MMCX cable.
Reborn/Mk2 and Ltd are almost the same, I have heard all three of them, side by side (sometimes it’s good, to live close to E-Earphone 😆). If there is any difference at all, the ltd has a slightly more present treble. But honestly, I could not really tell a clear difference and it could just have been placebo.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2023 at 3:09 AM Post #598 of 736
Reborn/Mk2 and Ltd are almost the same, I have heard all three of them, side by side (sometimes it’s good, to live close to E-Earphone 😆). If there is any difference at all, the ltd has a slightly more present treble. But honestly, I could not really tell a very clear difference and it could just have been placebo.
Great thankyou

Apr 25, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #599 of 736
Of any IEM I've owned the IEM the one that exceeded my expectations the most is the Oriolus Isabellae. It's organic, natural sound, creamy tone and well-textured bass pairs great with accoustical and singer-songwriter genre. This led me to purchase Szalsyi. Upon first listen I thought it would be a nice addition to my IEMs. Upon further critical listening I found it to be rather incoherent. For me I noticed the tonality seemed to change up and down the frequency with notes experiencing different weighting and textures. Almost as if the different driver types were not blended well. I parted ways it after some frustrations. Design wise it "looked" cheap, although the actual build was fine...more of an asthetic comment.

Apr 25, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #600 of 736
Of any IEM I've owned the IEM the one that exceeded my expectations the most is the Oriolus Isabellae. It's organic, natural sound, creamy tone and well-textured bass pairs great with accoustical and singer-songwriter genre. This led me to purchase Szalsyi. Upon first listen I thought it would be a nice addition to my IEMs. Upon further critical listening I found it to be rather incoherent. For me I noticed the tonality seemed to change up and down the frequency with notes experiencing different weighting and textures. Almost as if the different driver types were not blended well. I parted ways it after some frustrations. Design wise it "looked" cheap, although the actual build was fine...more of an asthetic comment.
I definitely agree with you as far as the oriolus isabellae is concerned. The isabellae is my favourite iem for vocals & is no slouch at pretty much everything I throw at it.
The isabellae is the reason I bought the reborn ltd that I'm yet to hear so when it finally gets to me I hope I'm not disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back