Oriolus Szalayi IEM discussion thread
Apr 25, 2023 at 9:36 PM Post #601 of 749
Just traded my SZA and cash for a Mext MKII...gonna miss the Szalayi! :rolling_eyes:

Apr 26, 2023 at 7:23 AM Post #602 of 749
L
I definitely agree with you as far as the oriolus isabellae is concerned. The isabellae is my favourite iem for vocals & is no slouch at pretty much everything I throw at it.
The isabellae is the reason I bought the reborn ltd that I'm yet to hear so when it finally gets to me I hope I'm not disappointed.

I'm surprised the Isabellae is flying under the radar. It's so well tuned. Guitar plucks and male vocals are sublime. I will have to look at reborn.

Apr 26, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #605 of 749
Just traded my SZA and cash for a Mext MKII...gonna miss the Szalayi! :rolling_eyes:
Miss mine too, BUT it is fun to experiment around this hobby. My Szally made room to keep my MEXT Indigo!

Apr 26, 2023 at 8:21 PM Post #606 of 749
Miss mine too, BUT it is fun to experiment around this hobby. My Szally made room to keep my MEXT Indigo!
I let go my NCM Bella for the Szalayi. Miss it, too, but the same time very much enjoy the Szalayi (except of its design - I am already thinking of customizing it somehow...lol).
I agree, letting go and trying out new things makes our hobby exiting! :)

Btw: Is there a MEXT Indigo? Or is this a typo and you mean MEST Indigo?

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2023 at 8:40 PM Post #607 of 749
I let go my NCM Bella for the Szalayi. Miss it, too, but the same time very much enjoy the Szalayi (except of its design - I am already thinking of customizing it somehow...lol).
I agree, letting go and trying out new things makes our hobby exiting! :)

Btw: Is there a MEXT Indigo? Or is this a typo and you mean MEST Indigo?
oops, that's a typo. I meant MEST Indigo but I had the MEXT too and LOVED it!

Apr 29, 2023 at 12:31 AM Post #608 of 749
Good morning everyone. I've owned my pair of Oriolus Szalayi (SZA) for over a month now. And I've been running them on balance with Qudelix 5k using 4.4mm female to 2.5mm male adaptor. I am using the included cable and Clarion Tri Tips size M.

I use SZA for my daily listening - bass heavy music, (Hiphop, metal, Kpop, Citypop, 80s metal, soundtracks (instrumental)), movies, video games, youtube, etc.

Overall, I think SZA are very pleasant to listen to as is. They sound big, thick, rich, warm, very easy on the ears. The bass is no doubt the star of the show, and gives me the mini-subwoofer experience inside my ear. The treble is not sharp, which allows me to crank the volume much higher than my 7hz Timeless without wincing.

However, at times, the richness in the sound works too well to the detriment of SZA. They would sound a tad too thick for their own good, and the elements in the tracks at times just meld together into a blob (a big blob) instead of being separated and distinct from one another. There is also a lack of air and some bluntness in the sound as well. And to my findings, it's not because of the bass is overpowering, but because the mids and treble have some quirks that need to be ironed out.

I referred to HBB graph of SZA (thank god there's a graph for these), and EQed them on the Qudelix 5k. Here are my current EQ for these IEMs, which will boost the separation/layering/imaging of the sound without affecting the rich tonality. The vocals are a bit more sharpened, and defined, so that they are separated, don't meld together with the rest of the elements. - If you have the same problem with these IEMs like me, please feel free to try this EQ and let me know what you think. Peace.

Preamp: -1.5 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 24 Hz Gain 1.0 dB Q 1.000
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 1500 Hz Gain -1.0 dB Q 3.000
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 2100 Hz Gain -1.1 dB Q 3.200
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 3220 Hz Gain 1.3 dB Q 3.200
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 4000 Hz Gain 0.4 dB Q 5.000
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 7000 Hz Gain -2.5 dB Q 4.000
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 8200 Hz Gain 1.5 dB Q 5.000

May 1, 2023 at 9:48 AM Post #610 of 749
L

I'm surprised the Isabellae is flying under the radar. It's so well tuned. Guitar plucks and male vocals are sublime. I will have to look at reborn.

It's gorgeous. Also with piano and vocals. I would have been very happy if these forums didn't lead me down the path of ... the Summit-fi options.

But then I pick up the Trailii..... and it just doesn't compare.

Would love to audition the SZA and/or compare with the Audeze Planar. Unfortunately I don't have ready access.

Last edited:
May 1, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #611 of 749
It's gorgeous. Also with piano and vocals. I would have been very happy if these forums didn't lead me down the path of ... the Summit-fi options.

But then I pick up the Trailii..... and it just doesn't compare.

Would love to audition the SZA and/or compare with the Audeze Planar. Unfortunately I don't have ready access.
Isabellae led me to SZAs. It’s tonality is different, not quite as lush as Isabellae. Also I found SZA to be incoherent, meaning the tonality shifted across the driver types. I don’t think it was executed particularly well

May 1, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #612 of 749
Isabellae led me to SZAs. It’s tonality is different, not quite as lush as Isabellae. Also I found SZA to be incoherent, meaning the tonality shifted across the driver types. I don’t think it was executed particularly well
Well, Isabellae is a one driver - it’s rare to have a similar coherency with a multi driver. But I must say, I don’t exactly share your experiences with SZA. I think it is definitely more on the coherent side for what it is. Of course it’s not a Trailii though…

May 1, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #613 of 749
Interesting.. I love both the Isa and Reborn and didn't notice any incoherency issues on the latter. Both have a certain magic that has a special place in my heart..

Am all prepped for the SZA to complete the mini trio, unfortunately the big 🐦is out of reach 😅

IMG_20230502_004649.jpg

Last edited:
May 3, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #614 of 749
Just picked up a UM MEXT. Struggled finding some really good tips, I went through a bunch of my favorites but the sound was either too thick, too warm, too brittle, or too muffled without much separation. Then I pulled the Clarion TRI tips off of my Szalayi and threw them onto the MEXT. Holy moly what a shock. Just like how the Szalayi turned from an ugly duckling into a beautiful swan, so did the MEXT. Unbelievable soundstage with tremendous height. Very immersive. Super accuracy and layering with incredible detail and solid bass. Nothing stands out, super well balanced. The treble could possibly use a bit more air, but otherwise it's virtually perfect and completely inoffensive.

I'm just really shocked that the TRI tips came to the rescue again for another IEM. Essentially the ONLY two IEMs in my collection that benefit from these tips. And not just a small improvement, but a complete 180-degree turnaround. I'm loving these things. Now the only question is whether or not the Szalayis are unique enough for me to keep in my collection, because the MEXT are giving them a huge run for their money at the moment. Very grateful to the Szalayi and this thread for showing me the light with these Clarion tips. They're miracle workers when installed on the right IEM.

May 4, 2023 at 2:28 AM Post #615 of 749
9E10F018-9BDA-455C-8745-87F06A1575A9.jpeg

Imo SZA looks much nicer with a silver cable (here: Canalworks)! :) Lil bit of Aroma Jewel vibes actually...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back