Oriolus Isabellae DD IEM discussion thread
Aug 5, 2021 at 4:19 AM Post #136 of 278
I was going to hook up another cable, just out of curiosity as I do like the stock cable... I find they are incredibly stiff and stopped before using too much force, anyone else found this?

Enjoying this a lot on Isa as I type. I'm really enjoying how she renders percussion, just one of many observations. Work going to get in the way now though of further listening till this afternoon but I'll leave them running...

Aug 5, 2021 at 4:25 AM Post #137 of 278
I was going to hook up another cable, just out of curiosity as I do like the stock cable... I find they are incredibly stiff and stopped before using too much force, anyone else found this?

Enjoying this a lot on Isa as I type. I'm really enjoying how she renders percussion, just one of many observations. Work going to get in the way now though of further listening till this afternoon but I'll leave them running...

Not had issues with stiff connections, personally. Agreed! Percussion is great, tasteful impact and lovely shimmer to the tail end of cymbals etc.

Aug 5, 2021 at 4:28 AM Post #138 of 278

oooh, awesome album

Aug 5, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #139 of 278
Sound is continuing to evolve as I run in the Isabellae. New cable dropped in today as well. Yum

1628165429370.jpg

Aug 5, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #140 of 278
That's a very very pretty cable. Do I want to know what it is or the cost of entry?

Aug 5, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #141 of 278
These are my first iems and I am a bit lost regarding the fit. How it should be?
Just slide in and thats it? Or should it be a full contact and isolation with the ear channel?

I wouls appreciate a short guide for newbies... Thanks!

Aug 5, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #142 of 278
These are my first iems and I am a bit lost regarding the fit. How it should be?
Just slide in and thats it? Or should it be a full contact and isolation with the ear channel?

I wouls appreciate a short guide for newbies... Thanks!

I tend to go for as best a seal against my ear channel as possible. You don't have to dig it in there. You can generally tell if you have a good seal by gently pulling on the body of the IEM and feeling a degree of gentle suction against your ear drum - that's a tight seal. Sometimes you can get away with soft 'abutment' between canal and tip. This may reduce bass quantity and will likely not be what the tuner intended but it might be more towards your preference or comfort.

Happy for others to chip in, this is just my experience!

Aug 5, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #143 of 278
I tend to go for as best a seal against my ear channel as possible. You don't have to dig it in there. You can generally tell if you have a good seal by gently pulling on the body of the IEM and feeling a degree of gentle suction against your ear drum - that's a tight seal. Sometimes you can get away with soft 'abutment' between canal and tip. This may reduce bass quantity and will likely not be what the tuner intended but it might be more towards your preference or comfort.

Happy for others to chip in, this is just my experience!

I agree and with the shape of Isa and some others in my collection, I find when I insert that a slight twist forward in each ear secures a great fit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 5, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #144 of 278
I agree and with the shape of Isa some others in my collection, I find when I insert that a slight twist forward in each ear secures a great fit.

Agreed. Sometimes that forward rotation is the last little trick to get you there :D.

Aug 5, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #146 of 278
Agreed. Sometimes that forward rotation is the last little trick to get you there :D.

Definitely.

BTW, I'm finding Isa does an excellent job of relaxing with ambient as opposed to 'studying' it. Plus, certainly less low end vs IE900 but no slouch! I found it a bit congested vs IE900 but it's been running now for over 24 hours and it's opening up or my brain is :) Early thoughts are that they make great partners. 👍

Aug 5, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #147 of 278
Definitely.

BTW, I'm finding Isa does an excellent job of relaxing with ambient as opposed to 'studying' it. Plus, certainly less low end vs IE900 but no slouch! I found it a bit congested vs IE900 but it's been running now for over 24 hours and it's opening up or my brain is :) Early thoughts are that they make great partners. 👍

Yeah I can imagine. It has its place as another flavour and presentation to experiment with. Minimalist ambient / classical I bet sounds great!

Aug 5, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #148 of 278
Yeah I can imagine. It has its place as another flavour and presentation to experiment with. Minimalist ambient / classical I bet sounds great!

The victim of its arrival might be SA6, that had been my choice for drifting off or just dozing. With MEST, my brain is hopping about with intrigue as to where all the sounds are coming from, great at times but hard to totally relax! MEST is fantastic also with really intricate IDM, say Autechre to name one - sweeping synths, complex drum programming, etc.

If I wasn't so bloody curious, I could absoltely live with IE900 and Isa!

Aug 5, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #149 of 278
Aug 6, 2021 at 11:53 PM Post #150 of 278
Hi all,

Newer audiophile here, thought I'd post my impressions of the Isabellae after having them for a couple days. I consider myself to be biased towards a "warm-neutral with boosted mid-bass" sound signature, as I've used HD650s daily for years. I've been looking for an IEM upgrade for a while now, and the Isabellae looked interesting enough, even though I heard it leaned on the brighter side.

I drive my IEMs off an E1DA 9083D.

Sound signature: Bright V-shape with emphasized mid-bass

Bass: Excellent, I'm a huge fan of DD mid-bass in particular and I believe the Isabellae does it quite well. Reasonably textured and punchy mid-bass. Sub-bass is present but not the star of the show.

Mids: Most immediate thing I noticed is the beautiful, refined vocals. Both male and female vocals sound tonally correct, with male vocals slightly on the leaner side. Lower midrange is too recessed for my tastes. I would say it's "airy," but not thin. More of a delicate presentation. Occasional sibilance in female vocals, but I'm very sensitive.

Treble: I've always listened to darker gear before so I'm not qualified to say too much here. I personally find it to be a bit too forward, as it can sometimes out-compete the midrange presence. But that's just my tastes. Didn't notice any peakiness or fatigue from the treble.

Soundstage: I'd describe as "intimate," and I believe that's one of the reasons vocals sound so great on the Isabellae.

Imaging: "Alright."

Detail: Acceptable, although I find it can struggle on some complex passages (I listen to a lot of prog metal).

Overall I'd say its not my cup of tea, but that's not a hit against the quality of the IEM. It's just not my preferred sound signature.
I think it excels at acoustic and vocal tracks. Demo'd it to a friend who listens primarily to that type of music and he found it to be fantastic.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back