Original vs. Remastered Albums?
Mar 13, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #31 of 159

Quote:
I just ordered Steely Dan Aja remastered in Nov 23, 1999. Anyone have experience with that one? I hope it is good. I must admit to automatically assuming that the remasters were typically improved upon vs. original versions. Maybe I should start another thread for people's opinions on specific CD's/Albums remastered releases. I was looking at The Doors remastered releases too.  

There's a whole forum that gets seriously deep into album-by-album analysis with respect to mastering quality: http://stevehoffman.tv  - however you may get too much information, and consensus is not always achieved.

Mar 13, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #32 of 159

Quote:

There's a whole forum that gets seriously deep into album-by-album analysis with respect to mastering quality: http://stevehoffman.tv  - however you may get too much information, and consensus is not always achieved.

Just be warned that most negative comments about Hoffman's work get deleted quickly. It is fine for other albums, but most threads about Audio Fidelity releases have been heavily edited.

Quote:
I just ordered Steely Dan Aja remastered in Nov 23, 1999. Anyone have experience with that one? I hope it is good. I must admit to automatically assuming that the remasters were typically improved upon vs. original versions. Maybe I should start another thread for people's opinions on specific CD's/Albums remastered releases. I was looking at The Doors remastered releases too.  

On Aja you want to get an early MCA CD made in Japan or UK. The one I have doesn't have a barcode and sounds great. You can find out the details at the Hoffman Forum.

You have to be careful with Doors because some remasters (I'm not sure which ones) have been remixed.  I'm guessing all the DCC and Audio Fidelity releases sound great. I have Waiting For the Sun on DCC and Morrison Hotel on AF and they sound great to me. Waiting For the Sun does have some tape issues on Not to Touch the Earth unfortunately. I plan on picking up the rest at some point if I can find them cheaply (relatively speaking).  I don't know how these compare to the releases on HDtracks.

Mar 14, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #33 of 159

Quote:
On Aja you want to get an early MCA CD made in Japan or UK. The one I have doesn't have a barcode and sounds great. You can find out the details at the Hoffman Forum.

Wow, thanks for that. I just checked mine (one of my favourites) and it is the 1984 German MCA.  And to think that a while back I toyed with the idea of replacing it with a remastered edition! That was before I learnt about the nasty remastering issues.

Mar 14, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #34 of 159
I just ordered Steely Dan Aja remastered in Nov 23, 1999. Anyone have experience with that one?

I've never run across a Steely Dan CD that didn't sound good.

Mar 15, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #35 of 159
One good remaster I can think of is Nirvana's compilation release from 2002 called Nirrvana. The Nevermind remaster from 2011, on the other hand, is quite bad though.

Mar 23, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #37 of 159
I think there was an entire article about the newest Eagles masters in Stereophile a few months ago. 

He was talking about the new 24/96 and 24/192 versions versus the DSD and LP releases. From what I remember he liked the DSD release the most. 

Quote:
are the eagles remasters better than the original CD? also are the vinyl records better?

Apr 4, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #41 of 159

Quote:
let us know if the remasters are any good. I've been looking at a few remasters but i don't want to waste the cash if they are brick walled

Which ones are you looking for?

Apr 4, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #42 of 159
Just bought these...
( Oldies! be gentle! :) )

Status Quo - If you can't stand the heat - RM from 2005 by Tim Turan at Turan Audio
The League unlimited orchestra - Love and Dancing - DIG RM - 2002/3 - remixed and produced by Martin Rushent
Genesis - Genesis - DIG RM 2007 - Anthony Banks ltd, Phil Collins ltd and Michael Rutherford
Dire Straits - Love over Gold - RM by Bob Ludwig - Gateway Mastering 1996
Steely Dan - Can't buy a thrill - DIG RM - 1998? by Roger Nichols
Steely Dan - Aja - DIG RM - 1999 by Roger Nichols
Nazareth - No Mean City - RM from 2010 ? by Tim Turan at Turan Audio
Heaven 17 - Luxury Gap - DIG RM - 2006 - Donal Whelan at Hafod Mastering
Stranglers - No more heroes - RM 2001 - ??
Status Quo - Never too late - 2005 RM by Tim Turan at Turan Audio
Floyd the Wall the recent remaster!
Cat Stevens - Tea for the Tillerman - RM 1999 from original analog tapes by Ted Jensen at Sterling Sound

Have I wasted my money?

Apr 5, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #44 of 159
Just been reading all the loudness war  threads..omg.... gonna have to listen to these with new ears!

Had a quick spin through my old pre 1990 CD's and can see the difference.
I have Pure music running and the monitoring gives a good indication of the dynamic range etc.

Mmmmmm

Apr 5, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #45 of 159
Original all the way - the way the artist intended the album to sound.

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back