original master headamp
May 22, 2007 at 6:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

coolshot

500+ Head-Fier
purging my rig of all credit purchases and starting from scratch, including my k1000 and all my AT cans, i wanted something cheap as a reference point in amps. I've had 9 various headphones and the only one that i have kept were the the senn HD201, as they dont sound like crap and give a tremendous value. It was my one of my first cans and still remains my point of reference to anything new, better or worse. They have been used and abused but still remain strong.

The original master i think will always be in my rig as point of reference just like my HD201. At its $210 shipped price point, you'd be very hard pressed to find a solid state value like this one. I never got the chance to meet Ping of AAA Audio at the national meet where i was shopping for an amp. I feel rediculous passing up his table since out of listening to all of the amps out there from woo,SP,HR,headamp etc, i actually went and got this.

My goal was basically to find basic amplification for my headphone rig in light of spending $2k on my speaker rig only weeks earlier. So now im thinking, what do i want? Well i know i want clean sound, low noise, low heat and most of all, CHEAP! A quick phone call to ping at AAA audio and there,a box on my doorstep from eastcoast to here in CA in a week. Ping has good customer service as he'll return calls to you even if you dont leave a message like me. All my emails were responded to promptly as well. I know a lot of people value customer service just as much at the amp itself. No worries here.

build quality is solid. The top and bottom are a glossy black plastic, maybe lexan. The sides of the unit are some type of metal, probably anodized aluminum. The seperate power supply is some extruded metal again probably aluminum with the lexan faceplates. This unit is OP amp designed and runs cool, you can leave it on all day and it will never feel hotter than room temp.All markings are engraved, no cheap rub off lettering here. The amp and psu both have rubber feet.

Ok on to the sound. I am pleasantly suprised. After hearing horrid headphone outs of recievers this is a breath of freash air. Clean,clear and dynamic. I often use my 32ohm dt770 manufacture straight out of my x-fi and this is what amplification should be. To me, it sounds very transparent. I dont detect any coloration or worse the addition of a signature of being cold and shrill sometimes associated with solid state amps. My dt770 are not siblant at all and im glad to say they still arent even at louder volumes with the addition of this amp. With the amp and source on, its dead quiet. With no music playing, you can turn the dial all the way left to right and not a single hint of hiss or white noise.

Im not going to go into detail about soundstage,imaging or resolution. To me, the master doesnt add any of that at all. I feel thats more of the source and headphones job. I want the amp to provide clean power without adding anything to the mix. There is a slight improvement in dynamics and extention both ways, but I attribute that to increased power to the drivers, allowing them to do their job better with more authority. The master is definately in the same class as wharfedale speakers and the AT AD2000, improvement in sound quality by not being intrusive. You wont find these totally ruing the chain system by sticking out like a sore thumb.

At 210 shipped what competetion the does the original master have? There are tons of sub $200 tube amps like the lunchbox and little dot II++, but its had to find quality Solid state at this price short of DYI. I recommend it to anyone just starting out (or starting all over again) or anyone looking for a secondary work/bedside rig.

here are some pics. Sorry i didnt have time to wipe and dust everthing down.

originalmaster002.jpg

originalmaster003.jpg

May 22, 2007 at 6:53 AM Post #2 of 14
nice pics...do you own any other amp to compare them with..
im looking for an amp myself and may end up with the master too but i need some more impressions of the sound..

May 22, 2007 at 7:12 AM Post #3 of 14
The Original Master rocks!!!! I purchased a Headroom balanced rig and guess what the Original Master is right up there. The Headroom balanced rig is better but it is very much a case of dimminishing returns.

I have spent the $$$$ so I sold all my SE gear. If I had my time again I'd have a Fubar II DAC, Original Master Amp and a HD650 with a cable upgrade or a Grado 325i. This setup would be nearly as good as the Headroom balanced rig but at a fraction of its price. The only thing this SE rig would miss out on would be ultimate sound stage and bass quantity and quality.

Now that I have spent the $$$$ including an Equinnox balanced cable, I love my balanced rig and would not change it.

580smile.gif

May 22, 2007 at 7:51 AM Post #5 of 14
i have listened to meir amps and they are super neutral. To me, very boring. So much so, I decided not to get an opera. No musicality what so ever, you'll be listening to sound not music. If your a fan of 701 and want more of that, i say go for the headfive. Personally, i've had a hybrid head(millet style amp) and some other headphone outs. I've listen to other stuff as well and the only thing that really impressed me was a mapletree for tube sound but hey thats $300 more. Oh course them other amps that i've listened to like Singlepower extreme and gs-1 sound better but the price!

May 22, 2007 at 8:13 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have listened to meir amps and they are super neutral. To me, very boring. So much so, I decided not to get an opera. No musicality what so ever, you'll be listening to sound not music. If your a fan of 701 and want more of that, i say go for the headfive. Personally, i've had a hybrid head(millet style amp) and some other headphone outs. I've listen to other stuff as well and the only thing that really impressed me was a mapletree for tube sound but hey thats $300 more. Oh course them other amps that i've listened to like Singlepower extreme and gs-1 sound better but the price!

nice...if anyone can compare this with a heed pls lmk..im on the fence right now

May 22, 2007 at 8:45 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamal007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
original master amp vs heed/headfive?

I owned both at the same time in the past, but no longer.

To me the meier audio corda headfive and the original master are equals. Both are very close to neutral, barely imposing their own sound on to the music, but the headfive is just a touch to the warm side. the headfive is also much better build quality and is more compact than the master, it also features cross feed and mated exceptionally well with the AKG K701.

In sound quality it was difficult to tell the two amps apart without doing very quick A/B tests, the gain on the headfive is a little lower, but both have plenty of power for most phones out there.

I let the original master go, but sort of regret it now considering how cheap it was!

Quote:

nice...if anyone can compare this with a heed pls lmk..im on the fence right now

guess what I also own the heed canamp! and it's worlds ahead of either the headfive or master. Superior in every way. Musicality, detail, power and soundstage. The step up from the h5 to the canamp to me felt more than the difference in price, ie. it's better value for money.

all imho of course

May 22, 2007 at 9:19 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I owned both at the same time in the past, but no longer.

To me the meier audio corda headfive and the original master are equals. Both are very close to neutral, barely imposing their own sound on to the music, but the headfive is just a touch to the warm side. the headfive is also much better build quality and is more compact than the master, it also features cross feed and mated exceptionally well with the AKG K701.

In sound quality it was difficult to tell the two amps apart without doing very quick A/B tests, the gain on the headfive is a little lower, but both have plenty of power for most phones out there.

I let the original master go, but sort of regret it now considering how cheap it was!

guess what I also own the heed canamp! and it's worlds ahead of either the headfive or master. Superior in every way. Musicality, detail, power and soundstage. The step up from the h5 to the canamp to me felt more than the difference in price, ie. it's better value for money.

all imho of course

nice..thanks alot..now im set on the heed for my v3 darth beyer..will be a great upgrade from my MisterX XP amp...

Jun 2, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

nice pics...do you own any other amp to compare them with..
im looking for an amp myself and may end up with the master too but i need some more impressions of the sound..

I can speak from experience that with the AKG K601's the sound is as smooth as my Magneplaner 1.6's. Very even, coherent overall sound. Might sound a bit bassy with headphones that lean in that direction, but with an evenly balanced set (like the AKG's) it is a listen-all-day type sound.

Jun 3, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #12 of 14
My first post, so bear with me. I just spent the last two weeks comparing the Original Master to both the CI Audio VHP-1 with standard PS and the new Eddie Current EC/SS. The Original overwhelmed the CI and gave a presentation similar to the EC/SS, the EC/SS have more of everything and I knew I would be safe from upgradeitis, so I bumped my budget for the EC/SS.
The Original had a great way with vocals, a bit warm, very enjoyable. More later when I figure this stuff out.

Jun 4, 2007 at 12:03 AM Post #13 of 14
I have lived with a Project Head Box Mark II amp and Audio Technica ATH-A900 cans, with a Philips DVD player, in a cubicle environment for the last year. Wanted more detail for the ATs, so jumped into the upgrade route. Comments in this post will concern the Original Master, but I will throw in impressions of the CI and EC/SS as comparison.

Purchased the Original direct from Ping at AAA, and can echo the great comments from the earlier post concerning his customer service and prompt shipping. His shipping costs were more than he charged me, and he didn't blink an eye. Great guy.

Amp came Priority Mail in two days. Perfect packing. The power supply is massive, pictures don't tell the story. Lit everything up and set the player for repeat. Gave it three days prior to listening. All listening was done at home, with both a Philips 5140 DVD player set to 4x upsampling, and set to PCM in conjunction with a Scott Nixon Chibi DAC.

Much greater detail that my Project, vocals much more life-like, soundstage outside the width of the cans, so that is why these guys like headphone listening. The Project went on Audiogon that night It works as a gateway drug, but not as a destination.

Spent three days with the Original, used the ATs and some AKG K240 Studio to try a slightly higher load, 40 vs 55. Same great detail and soundstage with either set.

Borrowed a friends CI VHP-1 to compare, the CI is very precise, perhaps the inner detail is greater, but the overall presentation is more pleasing with the Original. I use a tube cd player, tube preamp, and sometimes a tube amp in my primary system, so I certainly like the "tube" sound, whatever that means
wink.gif

With that as background, I was completely satisfied with the Original. Then the EC/SS came and I was able to have more of every positive characteristic, although with quite a price jump, from $210 shipped to $440. shipped. That jump would pay for many CDs. Yes, I am old school and like to possess my music. My decision to stay with the EC/SS was based on ending the upgrade madness, not with clear deficiencies with the Original. I could have been very happy with the purchase.

More details on the Original. Smooth pot, the channels seem to come up together, just the same as the CI and the EC/SS. No noise at all with no music playing, very quiet unit. Vocal presence was very lifelike, and acoustic instrumentation in bluegrass material seemed more real that with the CI. Soundstage seemed nearly as wide as the EC/SS, but not as deep. The EC/SS is Deep.

Boy, this is almost like work. Let me know if more specifics are required, I will be glad to add to the tread. Just please don't tell me about the wonders of tube head amps. I want to stoppppppppppp.

Jun 5, 2007 at 3:05 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alta_tom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just please don't tell me about the wonders of tube head amps. I want to stoppppppppppp.

Glad that you are settled for now, but always some thing better there, tubes will sound different, you will never stop. Welcome to head-fi land. Cheers. Ping

Users who are viewing this thread

Back